Sweet Surprises

Ooh, is that a Canadian postmark?

Look – French writing and everything. Today has been a day of pleasant surprises. This morning I arrived at the office to find a package waiting for me. It had travelled all the way from Canada. Not of its own volition, but because I couldn’t resist temptation any longer:

I’d liked the Pendrell blouse from the start, but had tried to hold out. You have drawers full of patterns, I kept telling myself. You don’t need a new one. Then the photos of finished makes started arriving, via Google Reader. Yeah, they look really nice, I said to my computer screen. (If you’re sat in front of your computer, it doesn’t count as talking to yourself.) You don’t have to join the club.

Eventually, I stood in front of my wardrobe one morning, trying to decide what to wear. ‘I really need some Spring blouses,’ I muttered. Something to go with jeans, either casual or to dress them up. What could it be, what could it be… I switched my computer on. There was Big Sister, showing me more Pendrell makes. I’d like to say a lightbulb came on in my brain, but it was more like my slow maths finally putting 2+2 together. It was time to order a new pattern from an independent company on the other side of the Atlantic. Watch this space for a make!

Second surprise of the day: my boyfriend paid for dinner! Here I am wearing the Lady In Red dress that I finished back in November. I’m waiting to tuck into French steak and chips:

The restaurant was nextdoor to Threadneedle Lane!

How yellow is that light?! The best to be done with an iPhone.

Finally, my best surprise of all: as I stepped off the train back home a woman came up to me.

‘I suppose you get this all the time, but I just want to let you know: I read your blog!’

We had a good chat about crocheting as we walked down the stairs and it was soooo lovely to meet a reader. I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name, lovely lady, but what I forgot to say was: DO make sure you join our next Walthamstow outing. As Something in the Way She Sews commented in her recent blog post, the online sewing (or knitting or crocheting) community is one of the friendliest and most supportive you can hope to find.

All anyone needs to say is ‘hello’!

16 Responses to Sweet Surprises

1. Ashley says:

How lovely!
    I just bought a load of patterns from the sew direct buy 1 get 2 free, so I’m trying to resist buying the Pendrell just yet. It’s proving difficult! I love receiving mail too, so ordering online is so fun!
    Ashley x

2. Tilly says:

You got spotted! Heheheh. Guarantee it’ll make you reassess your tube reading material…

3. Elizabeth says:

So does your boyfriend never pick up the tab???? hahaha! Just kidding. What great surprises. hope you enjoyed the steak!

4. How nice to be mentioned! I too have been holding back on buying the Pendrell blouse but it’s so tempting and now I see that she’s releasing a skirt pattern as well, so I’m sure I won’t be able to resist for much longer. I can’t wait to see how your blouse turns out.

5. Ashley – Sew Direct is great, isn’t it?
    Tilly – I’d just finished wiping my nose!
    SEWN – my boyfriend and I have an annoyingly egalitarian relationship.
    SITWSS – you’re welcome! Oh no, I didn’t know about the skirt.

6. I have the Pendrell pattern too, such a versatile top 🙂 – now I’ve finally got to get around to making the toile for it this weekend 🙂

7. Bold Sewist says:

What a wonderful day! And I love the serendipity of Threadneedle Street too to round it all off.
    I really want Pendrell too…

8. Cindy says:

I been wanting the pendrell pattern! Can’t wait.

9. Roobeedoo says:

Another Pendrell-owner here! But the sew-along almost put me off – how can one little top need so much explanation?! If you do the frilled sleeve, make sure you use really drapey fabric…

10. Jane says:

Yet another Pendrell-owner here! It’s super easy to make and despite thinking “no way”, it really does go on over your head without zips or buttons. x

11. karen says:

Thanks for the Pendrell tips, guys! I have some fabric that I think will be perfect.

12. I forgot to say in my last comment that Sewaholic Patterns have a UK stockist (if anyone’s looking to save on the overseas shipping costs from Canada to the UK ) :- Sewaholic Patterns in the UK: Off to a Great Start! – the stockist is Backstitch.co.uk 🙂

13. Betty says:

That is so cool! You must have felt like a movie star! And good on you for scoring a free dinner!!!

Love your new pattern. Can’t wait to see it made up on you.

Seeya!
    Betty

14. Tasia says:

How awesome to be ‘recognized!’ I’ve never had that happen to me before. You’re a celebrity! 🙂
    Yay for dinner! Must have been the red dress. Did you know, apparently red dresses encourage men to take women out for nice dinners? Honestly, I read a study that said so!
    If you have any questions about sewing the Pendrell just give me a shout! I did a TON of steps in the sew-along, but it’s much easier than it looks, I promise. You’ll have it sewn up in no time! 🙂
    and yes! there is another pattern coming up very soon, that might just be a skirt…

15. Adrienne says:

Karen, the reason I love your blog so much is because of your sense of humour. You are such a funny lady! But I had the exact same thought process about the Pendrell blouse. I just finished mine yesterday and am already planning my next one. 🙂