The One Where I Get Distracted

Spring has sprung!

I know it’s been absolutely freezing, peeps, but take heart – Spring is on its way. I’m in Hay-on-Wye, the town of books, on a writing retreat I’ve organised with friends. It’s full of cute places like this:

But I’m meant to be doing this:

So it’s unfortunate that I’ve already spotted this:

The shop is called Bedecked. It’s gorgeous. Full of wool, fabric and buttons. Look:

I’m fairly sure I can resist the fabric and the wool, but those buttons. Oh, those buttons… I do have a Beignet skirt to make, after all. Can you believe it, though? I travelled without sewing patterns about my body. What kind of crazy is that? If anyone wants to remind me of the size of buttons and how many the pattern uses, feel free!

Right. My allotted one hour lunch break is up and I’ve spent it writing this! Back to the other writing. The writing with ghostly horses, bleak moors, secret underground tunnels and kick ass girls in it. I wonder if I can work some sheep buttons into the story…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The One Where I Get Distracted

1. Portia says:

Gah, that has to be the best shop in the world!!!! How can you possibly concentrate until you buy those buttons, lol?!
    Px

2. Mmmm… buttons :)!

Karen – 12 of 3/4″ (19mm) buttons are needed for the Beignet Skirt
    (http://www.colettepatterns.com/images/shop/specs-1005.png)

3. Kerry says:

What a selection of buttons!

The Beignet uses 12 3/4 inch buttons.

4. Thanks, guys! I knew you wouldn’t let me down.

5. Sarah says:

Wow! Buttons, fabric, and Rowan wool? I’d be sunk!

6. Elizabeth says:

Oh so jealous. I’m going to wales this summer and can’t wait. Can’t wait to be in London too. I have news on that. I will email you privately. Enjoy!

7. daisydonut says:

What a wonderful shop. I didn’t spot it the last time I was there, but I shall be on the lookout next time!

Hope you have a wonderful inspirational writing retreat, and don’t forget the beignet buttons! As if, lol.

8. Ashley says:

that shop looks amazing! I finally got round to visiting the yarn shop in town today. So many beautiful yarns! I’m used to cheapy yarn, I’d never come across any ‘designer’ yarn in person. I came away with 50g of Debbie Bliss Angel yarn (apparently its quite new) in a beautiful deep purple. At £15.90 its my most expensive yarn buy yet, but oh so worth it! The luxury of 75% mohair 25% silk is lovely! I keep rubbing it on my face. I can’t wait to knit it up 😀 I wanted lots more, but maybe next time 🙂
    Now back to work, chop chop! 😉
    Ashley x

9. Adrienne says:

I love the first photo. Gorgeous!

10. Gorgeous spring!! Big smiles!! Have a wonderful inspiring time!

By the way, I have invested in an iPhone app that’s got my patterns, yardages & notions stored on it. There are a couple now I think (not all do yardages). Mine’s not perfect, but it enables me to leave home prepared for such heavenly emporia. (Pattern Pal if you want to look it up. Takes a bit of time investment loading it up with all the details ..)

11. Carly says:

woooowwwww, feeling a bit weak at the knees at the sight of all those buttons! amazing!

12. Siga says:

That shop looks amazing! Wow, I wish I would stumble upon such a beauty.

13. Pin Queen says:

Oh I love Hyacinth – a true sign spring is on it’s way. They smell so beautiful when the sun hits them – well, in truth, when I plant them for the conservatory and we put the heating on!
    Enjoy your stay.

14. Tilly says:

Spring hasn’t yet sprung in Brixton unfortunately. It feels like the apocalypse, it’s so cold! That shop looks amazing. But those trays of buttons look disconcertingly like bowls of nibbles about to be circulated at a cocktail party. Were you tempted to eat any of them?

NOW GET BACK TO YOUR WRITING!

15. Jane says:

Oooh, oooh, oooh, you lucky thing. I especially like the teapot fabric (I love teapots) and the red buttons with the white trim. Here are your orders: buy 12 buttons for your Beignet please and then write a bestselling story. Have a lovely weekend, from Bossy Jane x

16. You lot are certainly keeping me on the straight and narrow!

17. Bold Sewist says:

What a wonderful distraction! Happy writing!

18. Haberdashery says:

Love the cake fabric. Do they sell it in their shop ?