The Skirt of Extreme Happiness

I bought this cardigan in last year’s summer sales, and have never worn it. Not once. You see, that’s a very specific shade of blue and it was a real struggle to find something to go with it.

Meanwhile, the scraps from my Lady In Red dress had been languishing in my stash box for four months. Four months! Is that how long it’s taken me to join up the dots? Finally, I realized that they were destined to be another Woman’s Realm skirt. I’ve made two other versions – here and here – but this one knocks them out of the park.

It’s a simple A line skirt, but the joy of simplicity is that you can really focus on an excellent finish. There aren’t words to describe my delight with the hand-picked zipper:

I jumped on the label bandwagon (they’re just so damn cute) and added one of my own:

The lining fabric was also languishing in my stash box. Finally, I used bias tape on the hem to avoid the bulk of a twice turned over wool hem:

The stiffness of the bias tape has helped add a bit of structure to the A-line shape, which can only be a good thing.

All in all, I am soooo pleased with this make. It was an absolute delight to work with the red cashmere wool again, bought from Paris. It’s as soft as butter, but that’s it – all gone now. Surely this means I am morally obliged to return to Paris and buy more fabric?

Not quite yet, though. What’s up next? I have some lawn with a burned out polka dot that my fingers are just twitching to start work on… Oh, look. Another strong colour!

I am nothing if not subtle.

And there’s a cake stand I recently ‘spotted’ (see what I did there) in the streets of Islington that would make a great accessory to the polka dot lawn. Can you guess which one I’m talking about?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to The Skirt of Extreme Happiness

1. Your skirt looks lush – well done!

May I ask where you got your custom labels from please?

2. Jane says:

Karen, that is my perfect skirt! I’m not joking, I absolutely love it and it looks great on you. Love the ribbon and bias binding details too. Great job. x
    PS. I’m going to have to shamelessly copy you and make an exact replica!

3. Roobeedoo says:

And best of all, your couture skirt was free! I love garment-sized leftovers! I wish I didn’t always get caught up by fancy prints and details and just made more fab basics like this. I bet you wear it lots and lots.
    That burn-out polka dot looks great! Looking forward to seeing it made up.

4. Oh that skirt is to die for! In cashmere! Jealous. And I’m very jealous of that apple pin you are sporting too. It looks positively perfect with your outfit. I too have a sweater very similar to this one and I too have had problems trying to find something to go with it. It’s been in the closet for 5 years now. I’ve worn it maybe 4 times. This idea is just brilliant. Now I need a red skirt! And serious props for such a lovely handpicked zipper!

xoxo,
    Sunni

5. Elizabeth says:

Love love love! It’s so beautiful. Well done! Maybe we’ll have to plan and London and Paris shopping excursion now. 😉

6. Sarah says:

Oooh, that skirt is decadent!! I love the colour and shape, plus it looks brilliant on you. 🙂 I have not yet had the pleasure of working with cashmere, but I aspire….I aspire! I definitely think a trip to Paris is in order to replenish your stock.

I am a polka-dot fiend (it’s my signature pattern) and highly recommend snapping up that delightful cake stand!

7. Scruffy badger says:

Oo super lovely! I love the attention to detail making a simple skirt so stunning- grosgrain waistband, zip and bias hem. I think you have done your Paris fabric proud.

8. Bold Sewist says:

That looks great! And that zip! the waistband! the binding! the label!
    The outfit totally confirms that spring is in the air! Yay!

9. Tamsin says:

Your skirt is beautiful, I hope you enjoy wearing it! I was going to ask about the labels too, but someone beat me to it. Thanks for the link.

10. Tilly says:

You look gorgeous! Love the labels too.

11. rachel says:

The zipper is pure perfection — and the red goes perfectly with your stripey cardigan. Gorgeous!

12. lizajane says:

Nice! This is something I’m sure you’ll get lots of wear out of. Lovely color.

13. Jane says:

Your skirt is to die for, and looks wonderful with your stripy top. I love all the finishes – hand picked zip, grosgrain waistband and bias tape hem – it makes it so special.

I think a trip to Paris to restock on fabric is a definite yes, and I can’t wait to see what you do with the burnt out red polka dot.

Now must go and order some labels.

14. Suzanne says:

You can never have enough skirts…well done!

15. Pingback: The Shoes of Extreme Happiness | Did You Make That?

16. frk.bustad says:

Such a great – and yet simple – skirt! The finishing is perfect. And where, where in Islington did you see the cake stands? I just love them… AND I’m going to London soon, and Islington is one of the places I plan to visit one of the days…

17. Pingback: MMJ6 – You Looking At Me? | Did You Make That?

18. Pingback: Editing For Your Style – Inspiration From Colette | Did You Make That?

19. Pingback: Where Karen Goes, The Spice Girls Follow | Did You Make That?