The Dansak Queen Skirt

Beignet + Pendrell = Heaven

After several early sewing-devoted mornings and a full day of busy activity yesterday, I spent the evening hand sewing the last of 11 buttons onto my second make of the Beignet skirt. Phew, I thought, walking past the empty curry trays on the dining table. Done! Let’s go and try it on.

Lesson number 475 of the Home Sewist: don’t try on a new FO after stuffing your face with curry, nan bread, pilau rice, poppadoms and kalipare squid. (It had been a big day, okay?!)

I came downstairs and announced that the new skirt didn’t fit. I was curiously philosophical on this turn of events and settled down to some knitting:

This morning I got up and tried the skirt on again. It fit! Though it’s definitely going to be my ‘Am I putting on weight?’ skirt that I slip into intermittently to see of the lard is growing. We all have one of these, right? If I can still get into it, all’s good with the world. If I can’t – duck!

The fitting issues are my own fault. I decided to use a generous seam allowance on this make, because my Fields of Gold skirt is a bit roomy. But with six seams running down this skirt, a generous seam allowance can really add up. I’ve got away with it by the skin of my teeth.

Here’s that screaming orange lining, bought at Goldhawk Road:

And one of my labels:

Here are the buttons, bought from Walthamstow market:

And, finally, here’s a poppy from my garden:

If I had my time again, I’d make this version out of gabardine rather than cotton sateen. I don’t think the cotton is quite sturdy enough.

What next? I hope to finish my toile of the B5605 dress this week. Hope? I’ve been instructed to by my tutor! I also want to start a toile of the Simplicity 3688 trousers. There’s going to be a lot of calico Chez Karen.

Happy Sundays everyone!

30 Responses to The Dansak Queen Skirt

1. Ashley says:

It’s lovely!! 🙂 The same thing happened to me with my Crescent skirt, though the offending food was chilli and all the trimmings.
    I love those buttons, and I love your labels! 🙂
    Ashley x

2. Dibs says:

Thats so lovely. I love the yellow belt. it gives the outfit a classy touch.

3. Lisa says:

I love your outfit Karen the yellow belt just tie them both in together beautifully. I have just purchased some twill for mine ( online) I have washed itand dried it and I think it’s faded a bit . I’m a bit nervous about using it for a Beignet now , all that work and if it keeps fading = rage LOL !!!

4. Stevie says:

Ohhh Karen Its so pretty! I’m tackling my Beignet with that purple needlecord this week. Here’s hoping it will be done by the weekend!
    It had crossed my mind too that it would look great with the pendrell. It balances the shoulders nicely! Looks fab!
    My blue Joan dress is my weight barometer!

5. mujerboricua says:

The top, skirt and belt are a fabulous colour combo. The buttons are well adorable. They remind me of the Texas State seal and state flag. *Love*

6. lydia says:

love those buttons!
    and i’ve never seen a non-red poppy before…. 🙂

7. Debi says:

I love this and I’m so glad it fits!! I also really love the orange lining..that is a fun touch!

8. Jane says:

Ooh gorgeous Beignet, I bet it goes with virtually everything you own. A black skirt is on my list…x

9. Karin van D. says:

Great skirt. I love the buttons, they are a great finishing touch!

10. Eugenia says:

Fabulous skirt! I love the lining and the buttons and it goes beautifully with your Pendrell top and the yellow belt is a perfect splash of colour! Oh, and the fit looks fantastic. But squid curry? Not so sure about that.

11. lizajane says:

I was wondering about the squid curry, too….
    Very nice beignet! I’ve got another on my list as well. It looks great with your pendrell and skinny yellow belt.

12. Bold Sewist says:

Lovely skirt! I LOVE the orange lining – looks great with your label!

13. Tamsin says:

Beautiful ensemble! I have this pattern on my birthday list.

14. Suzanne says:

It looks great…and yes, we all have those skirts!

15. I also love the Pendrell Beignet combo – it truly is a match made in heaven. The Beignet looks lovely & quite right to have the odd piece of clothing that can act as the real truth because we all know weighing scales lie!
    After a few weeks of background procrastination I have cut out yet another Beignet – garment #2 from Walthamstow denim with plenty still to spare. Not bad for £12.
    No thread to sew today though 🙁

16. Suzy says:

Hot, hot , hot! The whole outfit looks great! Great minds think alike, as I picked up some orange lining for a beignet when I was in Hungary! 😉

17. Trisha says:

What a lovely handmade outfit! Glad it fits. 🙂

18. leahfranqui says:

Oh, you look wonderful! I recently had an “oh my god this really is too small” issue with a pair of capris, they do fit, if I don’t really breathe….and stick to water….yeah. It’s very Sandy at the end of Grease, sigh. But it’s good to have tester clothing for when you are concerned you might be plumping, right? And from what I can see, this fits you like a dream, so lovely!

19. Portia says:

Yay, another beignet triumph! Love the brights of the yellow belt and orange lining.
    Those poppies! If you have a spare seed head at the end of the season…..;)
    BTW I nabbed the ONLY copy of InStyle in our village that had the orange nail polish on it! Thanks for the heads up!
    Px

20. Roobeedoo says:

Well … from here is looks like a great fit – very slimming in fact! And that is definitely a great match of proportions. Balanced indeed.

21. mooncalf says:

Well it looks amazing. How wonderful to have a completely hand made outfit like that! I’m so impressed!

22. shivani says:

Really lovely, Karen. A super wardrobe staple, and I love the outfit. This has just bumped the Beignet further up my “things I REALLY want to sew” list – but I’m frightened of all the button-holes.
    Also LOVE that colour yarn! x

23. Thank you all for your lovely comments!

24. Crystal says:

It turned out great and doesn’t look too snug in the photos. You are right, the Pendrell pairs perfectly with the Beignet.

25. Tilly says:

It’s lovely! Great choice of lining. I bet you’ll wear this all the time.

26. Pingback: Woo hoo for Beignet | Scruffy Badger Time

27. Pingback: Simplicity 2245 Lisette | Did You Make That?

28. Pingback: MMJ2 – Shall We Hug? | Did You Make That?