Me Made June with Me Making Mates!

‘I, Didyoumakethat, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-June ’11. I endeavour to wear one self-made item each day for the duration of June 2011’

Yep, I’ve finally gone and done it. I’ve taken the pledge. Not the AA one, but the challenge that So Zo has invited us to sign up to. All I need to do is wear a single item of Me Made Clothing every day in June and take photo evidence.

Ah yes, photo evidence… There are going to be a lot of happy snaps flying around the sewing blogosphere in June. How to make things interesting? Well, I work in one of the most diverse parts of one of the most diverse cities in the world, if you ask me. London is full of characters. Why not ask them to join the party?

I’ve decided that each of my Me Made June shots will show me with a random stranger who I’ve invited to be in my photo alongside my stitching. A bit like The Sartorialist, but with NONE of the glamour. By the end of June, I’ll either have been arrested as a pest or I’ll have 30 new mates!

To start the ball rolling, I thought I’d flex my confidence muscles by asking someone to be photographed with me this afternoon. Ahem, for the first time all week I wasn’t actually wearing any me-made clothes but I figured I’d better get used to walking up to total strangers and asking to be photographed together.

Say hello to my new best friend…

This gentleman was cleaning the streets (no easy job in Kings Cross!) and kindly agreed to feature. What lessons did I learn from this trial run?

• Get your outfit in the photo, Karen. And, ideally, the other half of your face.
  • Walking up to total strangers is scary! Some people give off an ‘I am a nice guy and would be happy to be photographed with you’ vibe. Others give off, ‘Come near me and I will throw you to the ground’ type vibes. It’s really interesting deciding who you will or won’t approach. One thing’s for sure. I’m going to have to learn to be brave – and take rejection. I wonder how long it will take for someone to tell me to eff off?
  • It’s very difficult to nutshell my mission. ‘I have a sewing blog and this other sewing blogger has this mission and it’s called Me Made June, I mean it used to be called Me Made May and then it was called Self Stitched September, but we couldn’t find an alliteration to go with June, so we just went with Me Made June and I have to…’ Jeez, I’m tired just typing it! I have to find a way to summarise our shared mission succinctly! Suggestions on a postcard, please.

So that’s it. I’m in. Follow my adventures, along with my outfits. Who knows what state I’ll be in come July. Oh, and did I mention? I’m going to be in Paris for a weekend over June. Approaching Parisians and explaining my mission in school girl French? Asking members of the most sophisticated nation on earth to feature in a sewing blog? Ooh boy, I know how to set myself a challenge.

What’s French for, ‘Can you pay my bail, please?’

Something else I spotted in Kings Cross.

Wonder if I can get snapped with a wizard!

23 Responses to Me Made June with Me Making Mates!

1. Lindsay says:

Wow–that is one steep challenge you are giving yourself with photographing yourself with a new stranger each day. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your “me made” outfits!

Btw, that Harry Potter picture made my day. Thanks!

2. I am really looking forward to seeing these pictures! 🙂
    I would recommend not approaching random strangers in King’s Cross though?!

A simple ‘do you mind if I take a picture with you for my blog’ may suffice, though I have to say that if someone approached me in the street with that question I’d probably say no! Good luck!

3. Andrea says:

Oh, dear! Here I was thinking how difficult it would be for me to participate in MMJ given my limited availability of self stitched work garments, but you’re certainly taking this challenge to a whole new level of difficulty. I look forward to following your adventures. Word of (unsolicited) advice: wear flats in case you have to run real fast! Just kidding; I bet you’ll have loads of fun.

4. CarmencitaB says:

Woo! What a great idea! I might follow suit!

5. Portia says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha !!! Karen you’re the greatest! Can’t wait to see your photos!!
    Px

6. Trisha says:

Hilarious! Can’t wait to see everyone!

What if you typed up a card with a blurb with a link to your blog? That way, you can explain it, but they can also read about it, and go online to see the picture.

7. KC says:

Great idea! I think I’ll adopt a modified version of it: I’ll go out in my me-made clothes and take pictures of other people, too, only I’ll stay out of the picture! Problem solved.

8. Debi says:

AMAZING idea! I love it!!! heheheheh…should be fun! I look forward to following along!

9. Clare says:

This is brilliant!!

10. Roobeedoo says:

ALL 30 people should be sourced in E17. Now that WOULD be a challenge! 😉
    You are mad. I love it! Good luck!

11. rachel says:

I can’t wait to see these photos! Good luck!

12. Katie says:

How about, “I’ve accepted a challenge to take a photo with a stranger every day for the month of June to post on my blog. Will you be my stranger?”

13. Karen says:

I love the idea! I also happen to live in a house of Harry Potter lovers and got a big kick out of the platform picture. How about “Did you make your clothes? No, I did. Want to be in a picture with me?” Maybe not.

14. Jenny says:

It certainly sounds fun/scarey I am already looking forward to seeing the outcome. I think both Katie and Trisha have made good suggestions. Be careful of what background you choose – you don’t want to get arrested as an industrial spy! Who is going to be taking the picture? If it’s another stranger make sure you have a long length of elastic attached to your camera!

15. mooncalf says:

Good luck! I’m tempted by this challenge but I’m going on holiday for the last two weeks of June and I’m not sure I can keep it up while I’m away from most of my clothes…

16. Wow, I thought I was being brave by just signing up for MMJ. But you’re taking it to a whole new level. I hope you have a great trip to Paris and that you get to go to the Marché St. Pierre area for some fabric shopping. Also, the Musée Bourdelle in the 15th is having an exhibit on Madame Gré dresses that looks fabulous. And I wouldn’t worry about asking Parisiens to participate; just say “Bonjour, j’ai un blog sur la mode et la couture et j’aimerais bien prendre un photo avec vous” and give them a little card about MMJ and your site. I am sure everyone will say “oui”! And any men you ask will probably be very flirty… (joking but also serious – it took me ages to get used to this when I first moved here, as I’d never experienced random pick up attempts when living in the US or UK). Anyway, happy MMJ, happy photo adventures et bon voyage.

17. jenibrown says:

OMG, I love that you are adding strangers to your photos. Can not wait to see them!

18. Tilly says:

This is amazing. Can’t wait.

19. Amy says:

LOL! Amazing. Great twist on MMJ.

20. Alessa says:

That sounds like a fun way to make the challenge more interesting!

21. Bold Sewist says:

What a BOLD challenge! It’s going to be great – I can’t wait to see who you get to pose with you! x

22. I cannot WAIT to see your documentation pics! So what happens if you’re having a lazy day at home? Are you going to go out on the street and find a ‘new mate’ anyway?! Or will you be-friend a house plant or something?! This is going to be so funny! LOVE it xx