MMJ20 – Down With The Kids

Down to earth with a bump after yesterday’s shenanigans. Enough crazy dancing! And for the record, no I had not been sniffing the landlord’s apron, whatever some blog commentators tried to suggest. Naming no names. Tilly.

Back to work after a week’s break quickly sent me scurrying out for a mid-morning break. Here I am with Kelly in Kings Cross. Kelly and her family were lovely. Doesn’t Kelly look brilliant? I wish I’d had half her chutzpa at that age. I can’t believe how much our outfits coordinate! We’re both wearing hues of black, pink and purple with some dots thrown in for good measure. My dress is another make of the Simplicity 2591 blogged about here. The stretch cotton sateen was bought from Rolls’n’Rems in Holloway on a lunch break cycling adventure blogged about here almost a year ago to the day. The fabric is wearing very well, nice and soft to the touch after several goes in the washing machine. This is a GREAT dress.

I asked Kelly what her fashion inspiration is – it’s Japanese street fashion. I’m sure there’s some cool lingo to describe the exact detail of this fashion groove, but I’m too old to know.

If I tried to be down with the kids I’d probably say ‘Can’t touch this – Hammer style!’ or ‘I think Flock of Seagulls are over rated.’ or ‘Papa don’t preach!’. But I’m not down with the kids. I know that.

Can’t touch this!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to MMJ20 – Down With The Kids

1. Debbie Cook says:

The coordination between the two of you was the first thing I noticed. OK, the second – first was Kelly’s hair. lol

2. Elizabeth says:

you are too funny. Can’t wait to see you again in July. Soon!

3. Yadira says:

The name of the fashion is lolita. You can find more about it here: http://www.lolitafashion.org/anatomy.php

I wear it sometimes, it feels so nice to use all those frills just because; I’m a sweet lolita.

This would be a picture of me wearing the fashion:

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

4. Andrea says:

Oh, I love this dress. And love the colour coordinating with your “stranger”. Are you going to be taking the challenge to yet new heights from now on?

5. ooobop says:

‘Chutzpah’… what a great word. And yes, isn’t it sad that we lose ours as we grow older. I don’t think I was ever that brave either but I’m sure if I dig out some 80s going out pics I might prove myself wrong! x

6. Tilly says:

Harajuku style, innit? I mainly know that from the Belle and Sebastian song ‘I’m a Cuckoo’, not because I am cool. Although I am, come to mention it. Oh and re. your first paragraph – sure, Karen, sure. I believe you. (Not.)

7. Suzanne says:

Hi there!
    Kelly is my daughter and I´m very proud of her and her style =0) I´m stil in Sweden and think its very nice that U want to put a photo on Kelly at yor wall. =0)
    Hug
    Suzanne

8. MrsC says:

Ah yes, the joys of being old enough to be the mother of young people who have taste in music. I admitted to a friend recently that if it came out since about 1995 I’ll have not heard it. Never listen to commercial radio, never watch music on TV. I still think Oasis is hip! Love them potty mouth Gallagher boys…

9. Clare S says:

What a fab set of outfits!! Loving your dress and rather envying the cotton sateen – I need to get me down to London soon!

10. Kelly says:

It was really fun that You wanted to photo me^^ i love your outfit BTW! Have a nice day!^^

11. Dibs says:

Lol. Karen this is too funny…..hammer time? lol.

12. Michelle says:

Hi – I’ve been reading but not commenting and have decided to amend this!

I love your daily photos, and the fact your get a complete stranger to join you in them. The fish and chip one was my favourite. Thanks for the laugh, and the inspiration! I did Me-made-March but wasn’t able to participate in MMJ (besides, it’s winter here!) so I’m enjoying everyone else’s take on the challenge.

13. Shelly says:

You are so funny! LOL Love that you both match 😉 in colour at least… even the hairstyles are similar you just need to add a bow. ROFLOL

Dress and fabric are well matched, lovely!

14. Karen – (you do make me giggle :))
    Oh, and I see baggy harem pants in your future…………….. (hehehehehe!)

15. Roobeedoo says:

I can’t find the words.
    Respect?!

16. Joolz says:

I love your dress, although I have to admit that I love Kelly’s style even more. Now I’m in my mid-40s I absolutely hate that I didn’t have the confidence to wear slightly outrageous clothes when I was younger. I am so jealous of those who have that confidence. Kelly is brilliant.

Julie