MMJ29 – A Tale of Two Wizards and an Oz!

Hoo-boy, this is going to be a good one. Are you sitting comfortably? Then, let’s begin.

This was my first day back at work, wearing my Sorbetto top. I faced an In box that could make grown women cry. There was no way my lunch hour would be anything other than a mad dash for a sandwich and a scurry back to my desk.

Amazing what can be achieved in a dash and a scurry…

First off, I spotted Shilo wearing a fabulous outfit. But by the time I’d spotted her and recognised a potential Me Made June Stranger, she’d crossed the road and the lights had changed. Gargh! I darted across the junction, praying that I wouldn’t be run over or that she’d have disappeared round a corner. I ran up the pavement, in some mad stalker way and asked if she was in a rush, I mean would she, could she, may I beg a moment… Shilo took it all remarkably well. Isn’t her outfit brilliant? She was in London from Cambridge to meet a friend and hails originally from Australia. Australians officially rock!

Next stop, the Harry Potter platform 9 and three quarters after Felicity From Down Under – another Oz! – requested a photo with the disappearing luggage trolley:

Here I am with Emily and the most darling little dog in the world ever, called Dulcie Gray. She’s named after the actress. Isn’t Dulcie to die for! She doesn’t belong to Emily, I just begged the dog off another stranger because now I was on some MMJ unstoppable roll where no stranger was safe. Thank you, owner of Dulcie Gray!

As if THAT wasn’t enough, I then decided to accost some of the builders working on the massive regeneration of the station. Every lunch time in Kings Cross, men in neon orange will sit on street corners or by lamp posts or against walls and eat their lunches. It’s always an amazing sight. You think I was brave approaching any of my other Me Made June Strangers? Try going up to a group of work men to beg a favour so that they can appear on your sewing blog – that’s brave!

See the neon orange reflecting off my skin!

I COULD repeat some of the jokes that were flying around as this photo was taken, but… Well, I’m sure you can imagine. Let’s just say my two school years as the only female student in a  class full of teenage boys stood me in good stead. But seriously, the lads today were great!

Behind the camera was Merlin. Now, life is full of characters but there are characters and then there are characters. Merlin is a CHARACTER. Between rapid fire jokes, he whipped out his cards for a magic trick or two. This man should be on the stage!

After all these photos, it was back to my desk and back to work. The rest of life just seems so … ordinary … compared to Me Made June. Only one day left. I have no idea what lays in store tomorrow. (I honestly have no idea, so don’t expect some kind of all-singing, all-dancing Mary Poppins-type musical crescendo! It could just be me and someone’s goldfish.)

20 Responses to MMJ29 – A Tale of Two Wizards and an Oz!

1. Elizabeth says:

This *was* an amazing day!!! Great work!

2. Jane says:

Dulcie Gray is so cute she ALMOST makes me want to rip up my declaration that I will never have a dog (yes, this document does exist). ALMOST, but not quite! Karen, you deserve the Victoria Cross for bravery in approaching that gang of workmen, you’re a superstar!
    Your Sorbetto looks nice too! x

3. Alessa says:

The blogosphere will definitely be a slightly duller place without your MMJ stranger photos every day! I’ve seen some German bloggers do Me-Made-Mittwoch (=Me-Made-Wednesday) and I’m thinking of joining (or, in the interest of alliteration, starting a Me-Made Monday). Maybe you could keep up with a once-a-week-me-made-stranger photo? That would be totally fun! 🙂

4. gail says:

Hi Karen:
    I discovered your blog only in the last couple weeks via flickr, and I just wanted to let you know before it’s over that I’ve really enjoyed your MMJ posts! Such a fun and creative idea! I’ll be sorry when it’s over tomorrow, but I’m looking forward to what’s next!

5. Sarah says:

Those are some excellent photos! Platform 9 3/4 is awesome!!!

6. I’m in awe of your ability to find FABULOUS photo opportunities for MMJ! I’m going to miss them when it’s over… maybe next month sometime you could do a wee summary and choose your favourite moments? Just so we can all relive the brilliant experience? 🙂

7. Debbie Cook says:

I keep thinking each new MMJ is the best one and then you do another. I’m going to miss these posts SO MUCH. I second the idea of a weekly MM post or a recap, or whatever it takes to keep you going (bribery?). Uh, no pressure.

8. thornberry says:

I really do enjoy your take on MMJ! I have to admit that I find most blogs a bit dull when they start posting me-made – but not yours! As well as terrific outfits you bring us all a bit of fun. It’s been wonderful!
    Regards, Lara (another Australian)l

9. Paola says:

Yep, Australians do rock!

10. Carolyn says:

Yeap…I’m gonna miss these too! You have taken MMJ to a whole nuther level!

11. Steff says:

I wish June would neverever end!! No other MM can be more brilliant. I was looking forward to your posts every day and am really going to miss them.
    And a big thanks for the photos of you with Hugh and his son. They did what I didn’t manage so far which is getting my sons interested in learning English! Hope it keeps up and I’ll finally have someone to talk to.

12. Colognegrrl says:

Kudos from a long-time lurker, patience-lacking sewer, and fellow author. You really managed to heighten the suspense in what’s going to be next – your blog is the first one I look at every day! And I admire your bravery. To approach all these people must be hard by itself, but to ask a whole group of construction workers to pose with you during their lunch break – I stand in awe.

13. I can’t believe you approached those workmen! Well done! 🙂

14. Felicity from Down Under says:

Thank you so much for that trolley and Platform 9 3/4. I’ve loved MMJ and, like several others, I admit that I can hardly wait to stoke up my browsing each day to see what you’ve come up with. You’re amazing. (And so are those construction workers – that’s bravery indeed, asking such doughty lads to be in a sewing blog). I can hardly wait for the next episode of whatever it is.

15. Bold Sewist says:

Wow you just get braver and braver! I’ll really miss your MMJ updates – and that dog is unbearably cute! x

16. Law says:

What a fab end of your me made month. I can’t believe you approached those builders. Karen you rock :o)

17. Kerry says:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog…..sorry I’ve been a lurker for a while now! I’ve really loved the daily MMJ updates. Wonderful sewing and great photos!!

18. melissa says:

I think the construction worker shot is possibly my favourite photo of the entire month. Wonderfully shot!