Sunny Delight

I am going to be away for a few days, so I thought I’d leave you with a photo of the sunflower in my back garden and three questions:

1. If you wear the same pair of trousers for three days in a row, does it mean you like them?

2. What the heck is ‘sports wear’? I keep seeing this pattern category and click on it expecting patterns for gym wear, lycra leotards and cycling shorts. (Hey, I think. Whatever suits your groove.) But, no! The pattern companies seem to think that sports wear (there’s even designer sports wear) is just more skirts, trousers and jackets. Can someone explain this cultural phenomenon please and the distinction between these clothes – that clearly no one is going to do any serious sweating in – and normal clothes?!

3. What are chucks? Several readers posted comments on my last post, complimenting me on them? My bosoms? My sparkling eyes?

Answers on a postcard, please!

UPDATE: If you fancy the opportunity to win an amazingly generous giveaway from The Literary Gift Company, pop by myΒ blog postΒ here and leave a comment with a tip. We’re all writers, be it blog posts or the shopping list – I’m confident you can come up with some top tips!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Sunny Delight

1. ooobop says:

Hey Karen… Where you going…anywhere nice? That gorgeous sunflower certainly put some sunshine into my morning. I think chucks are Chuck Taylors or All Star Converse’s… could be wrong though! x

• I’m going on a writing retreat where I hope to lie on the bed and have afternoon naps, do some knitting, eat lots of pudding, chat with good friends, attend seminars and – who knows? – do a spot of writing? In sunny, lovely Oxfordshire. Ah, I see re chucks!

2. ooobop says:

OK… sufficiently jealous! That’ll learn me for asking! Have a fabulous time Karen x

3. Joie de Vivre says:

I’ve just started following your blog recently, and have really enjoyed it! Thanks for the effort you put into it. I think sports wear refers to patterns that have multiple garments types in one pattern, so a skirt, pants, long sleeved and short sleeved top etc, so it can’t be filed under any other category. I went to Voguepatterns.com to test my theory, but they don’t have a sportswear category, but they do have one called suits/coordinates; and simplicity.com’s sportswear section does fit my theory. See if it holds up next time you are browsing patterns! Enjoy your holiday, sounds wonderful.

4. MrsC says:

I’m with you on the mysterious sportswear category, I think it is Amercian English for “casualwear”.
    Have the best time in Oxfordshire! πŸ™‚

5. “Sportswear” does seem to be an American term, but I am American and I’ve never understood what it means! It just looks like normal clothes to me.

6. muddledstyle says:

I think Sportswear originated between the World Wars, and more or less meant casual, I suppose the idea being that they were sufficiently comfy and non-motion-inhibiting (I am sure there is a better word for that) that, in theory, you *could* wear them to play a game of tennis or whatever – possibly also hinting at an aspirational thing of having leisure time to do such things?? As opposed to the more structured pre-WWI Edwardian garb which wouldn’t really allow much leaping around…

7. Nancy says:

muddledstyle, I was just going to post that link as well.

8. K2 says:

According to Dictionary.com it is,
    “1. clothing designed for wear while playing golf or tennis, hiking, bicycling, jogging, etc.; activewear.
    2. men’s or women’s clothing consisting of separate pieces, as jackets, trousers, sweaters, skirts, and shirts, that are casually styled and can be worn singly or in various combinations for business and informal activity. ”
    So, you are right. According to the second definition, it is just regular clothes. I’m with you on this one. I’m from America, but I don’t like this category. If I’m looking for shirts, I want them all in the same place. I don’t want to have to check multiple categories to find all the shirts (or pants, or skirts, or whatevery). It’s annoying.

9. lysy says:

I wondered this too and read somewhere that sportwear is clothing you would wear when *watching* sports. Mad, eh?! LOVE the trousers in your last post πŸ™‚

10. LinB says:

For women, “sportswear” was clothing that was less restricting than a woman’s usual daily garb of chemise, corset, camisole and multiple petticoats. The first instances of female sportswear were for bicycling, and for tennis. In the decades since the 1890s, this distinction has become less and less meaningful. But even today, you are less likely to make yourself wear shapewear under sportswear! The connotation is easy dressing, light and loose and comfortable. I’m with you — pattern books seem to make an arbitrary distinction with little reason for putting garments in one category or another. (And I think that “chucks” are a kind of shoe.)

11. Kirsty says:

1. Yes either you like them or they are just to damned comfy to take off πŸ™‚ or maybe both
    2. I never understood this category either, the term sportswear screams the gym to me yet on the sportswear challenges on project runway it’s practically business wear. What’s the point of the sport in the name??
    3. Chucks is slang for converse (or cons as I call them)

Have fun on your retreat, sounds lovely napping and eating cake πŸ™‚

12. liza jane says:

That urban dictionary site is hilarious.

Chuck Taylor was one of the first ever basketball players to endorse a shoe.

And even though your eyes are sparkling, I was complimenting your shoes!

13. Bethany says:

Chucks are your shoes. I’ve actually started wearing mine more once I saw how many outfits you worked yours into, on the theory that I could play them off as being British-inspired as opposed to “I want comfy shoes but I also want to wear a skirt”

14. alex says:

Chucks = your shoes! Classics. πŸ™‚

15. Elise says:

1. The only trousers I wear more than once a week are my work trousers. And I HATE them. But I think you’re having the opposite problem luckily πŸ™‚
    2. I dont get ‘sports wear’ either. In my mind thats what I wear to the gym.
    3. Yeah Chucks are what we call Cons, ah the random language barriers!
    Enjoy your blog holiday!
    πŸ™‚

16. Somewhere along the way in my past I remember also the reference to a bloke’s “Sport Jacket” or “Sports jacket” – it would have been the type to stand alone, look eminently stylish, grey herringbone with darker slacks potentially. (Versions I recall are Yeauch!!!)
    Hope you are having a great break & the badger blog’s back now at last
    Pop in for tea when you are back x

17. redsilvia says:

Ooh, bee careful in Oxfordshire, I know from Morse there’s lots o’mayhem there πŸ˜‰ You’re Chucks are the best. FYI, some of the serious weight lifters at my meathead gym wear them to lift – good grip of the floor they say…

18. Kristen says:

Am I to understand that you click “sportwear” *looking* for lycra leotards? Hehe… πŸ™‚

19. Molly says:

The previous posters are indeed right with the definition of “sportswear”. To add to the conversation, V&A have in their collection a early C20th “Sports Corset” which was more-or-less like the normal corset but the bones were cased with leather to prevent them stabbing the wearer when htey snapped under the pressure of sporting activities! (Apparently there were a lot of bloodied corsets after games of tennis – eek!).

I think the category for your leotards etc is known as “Activewear”.