Simplicity 2599 – Does It Ever Stop?

Everyone seemed so keen on the grey polka dot version of Simplicity 2599 that I thought I’d make another one. I used the cotton/silk mix fabric that I bought at Goldhawk Road in May. I can’t believe this stuff was selling for only £5 a metre. You can feel the quality. (You’ll also want a new needle in your machine and to treat this special fabric with care during sewing.)

I added two of the embellishments that I bought in Paris to the shoulders:

Sewing these on was much easier than I anticipated, though I foresee careful hand washes in my future. I also went to town on the ruffles:

Ignore the pattern instructions for these ruffles. They suggest adding a narrow hem to a single layer of fabric for each ruffle. On acute curves like this? (Each ruffle piece follows a basic circle shape.) I think even an extremely proficient Sewist would make a ham-fisted job of it. I simply cut each piece out twice and sewed them right sides together, turning inside out and pressing. A process that couldn’t possibly take longer than struggling with frustrating ickle hems and looks infinitely better.

If you want more detail, there’s a nice button feature going on at the back:

Actually, if I were you I’d forego this button detail. It isn’t essential and just drags down during the wearing.

I’m really pleased with this version. It’s perfect for wearing with jeans. I’m also glad to be working my way through my stash box, as I’ve been feeling really uncomfortable with the amount of fabric waiting to be used. Beautiful fabric should not be in a box shoved under a table.

It just ain’t right.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Simplicity 2599 – Does It Ever Stop?

1. gail says:

Oh my word – this is unbelievably gorgeous! Your use of the appliques is perfect!

2. Louise says:

Love it, just bought this pattern as I’ve loved all the examples I’ve seen and I’m desperate for me-made tops which is why I’ve never been able to participate in Me-Made-Months. I haven;t got it out the packet yet as I’m sewing to deadline at the moment, maybe when I’ve finished the party dresses I’m doing I’ll get round to it!

3. redsilvia says:

Love that top too! You drove me to buy the pattern and then I saw I already owned it! I shall now paw through my stash to make one up too using that ruffle technique of yours. Great job!

4. Lisa says:

What a great idea about the ruffles !! I made one version without ruffles to test the fit but you have forced me to give it another go . Your top is beautiful.

5. This looks so beautiful on you! I love the embellishments on the shoulders. Absolutely stunning use of them!

6. Jane says:

A lovely, lovely top and the shoulder embellishments are fab! You’re right, it does look great with jeans. I’m trying to work my way through my stash box too but it’s especially hard when I see this fabric in action. I’d be hot footing it down to the Goldhawk Road if I didn’t already have a box full of navy and red prints! x

7. Kirsty says:

Karen, it’s fabulous! Your embellishments look perfect on it!

8. leahfranqui says:

Oh, Karen, this is amazing, and I agree with the whole world, the embellishments couldn’t be better. It’s so cute and classic and dresses you up without even trying, it’s like, oh, I just look amazing all the time, don’t YOU?

9. Carolyn says:

Its a great top and I love the sparklies on the shoulders!

10. Scruffy badger says:

O my word that is an adorable simplicity 2599!! Being an absolute devotee of said pattern I think you have really done it justice. Brill work around for the frills. I’m lucky enough to have an overlocker and used the rolled hem, which makes me swoon every time I look at it. But Narrow hemming is so tedious and won’t look as neat as your method. Also love the fabric choice and darker colour. Love it!! X

11. Roobeedoo says:

You really do work those frills with aplomb! Lovely!
    I am feeling guilt about my stash too – so much in there but still I feel drawn to the new and shiny – tsk!

12. Karin says:

Erm. Is it wrong also when the fabric is stashed in a glass cabinet, looking pretty? 😉

Cute top. Love the ruffles!

13. Marie says:

Just gorgeous, I love it! Can’t believe I was at Goldhawk and missed that wonderful fabric that so many of you picked up…gutted!

14. Tilly says:

It’s lovely, Karen! I remember how soft that fabric felt. Perfect for those soft ruffles.

15. Deb says:

Golly gosh, I am inspired to dig this pattern out and make it NOW, today…your top is gorgeous!

16. Amber says:

This is gorgeous!

17. rachel says:

It looks fantastic!

18. Felicity from Down Under says:

Thanks for the great tip about the ruffles, no wonder they look so good. And I love the design of that fabric, which is stunning. (I can only imagine how soft and luxurious it feels.)

19. Sarah says:

That is stellar!! The print, the fabric, the ruffles…..gah! Fantastic!

20. Crystal says:

I love it, and the details on the shoulders are fantastic.

21. MrsC says:

Karen you are a genius. Silk cotton is so soft, the frills without being doubled probably wouldn’t hold their shape as well, so bagging them in like that was the perfect, expert thing to do. You knew that eh!
    I think incidental genius is just as valid as the deliberate kind…

22. I wouldn’t have thought to put the embellishments with that fabric, but they look so right together. It’s a really special top. Now I want some of those too! This is what I love about seeing other people’s projects, it opens your eyes to so many possibilities.

23. Katie says:

Beautiful!!! I too bought this pattern after seeing some of your versions, and I am ever so thankful! It’s so easy, and I have even played around adding flutter sleeves and cap sleeves! This blouse is my favorite you have made so far, such beautiful fabric!!!

24. Fay V says:

Pretty, pretty. Glad you’re back. F

25. SewOm says:

I love it! The embellishments are amazing. Hmmm, do I have to go to Paris to find embellishments like that?

26. shivani says:

this is seriously gorgeous! I love the embellishments – they work so well.
    I bought this fabric too, on a recent solo jaunt to Goldhawk Road. I’m planning on using mine for the Pendrell blouse.
    And thanks for the tip re the ruffles – I also have this pattern, so I’ve made a note of this tip for when I eventually get around to it.

27. Maria says:

I started making this top and stopped at the ruffles because of the instructions for hemming them. I didn’t imagine the finished product would look very good with the type of fabric I had. But I think I have enough fabric to do as you did and cut a second piece. As a fairly new sewer I’m really considering how the garments are finished and trying to make them look as lovely on the inside as the outside. Thanks for this suggestion.

I also love the embellishments on the shoulders. I’m going to try this out sometime.

28. Lauren says:

I’ve only just spotted your comment on my blog – sorry!
    It’s great seeing what other people use fabrics for and this top is no exception – it’s really beautiful!
    I’m very tempted to try to find some more fabric like this, I won’t say it was the easiest thing to work with but the finished product is lovely isn’t it?! Does Goldhawk Road often have fabrics like this?