Everyone seemed so keen on the grey polka dot version of Simplicity 2599 that I thought I’d make another one. I used the cotton/silk mix fabric that I bought at Goldhawk Road in May. I can’t believe this stuff was selling for only £5 a metre. You can feel the quality. (You’ll also want a new needle in your machine and to treat this special fabric with care during sewing.)
I added two of the embellishments that I bought in Paris to the shoulders:
Sewing these on was much easier than I anticipated, though I foresee careful hand washes in my future. I also went to town on the ruffles:
Ignore the pattern instructions for these ruffles. They suggest adding a narrow hem to a single layer of fabric for each ruffle. On acute curves like this? (Each ruffle piece follows a basic circle shape.) I think even an extremely proficient Sewist would make a ham-fisted job of it. I simply cut each piece out twice and sewed them right sides together, turning inside out and pressing. A process that couldn’t possibly take longer than struggling with frustrating ickle hems and looks infinitely better.
If you want more detail, there’s a nice button feature going on at the back:
Actually, if I were you I’d forego this button detail. It isn’t essential and just drags down during the wearing.
I’m really pleased with this version. It’s perfect for wearing with jeans. I’m also glad to be working my way through my stash box, as I’ve been feeling really uncomfortable with the amount of fabric waiting to be used. Beautiful fabric should not be in a box shoved under a table.
It just ain’t right.