An Open Letter To The Great British Summer

Dear Great British Summer

For shame, sir! Have you no sense of decency? There has been some damnable contrary weather of late.

We expect it is great entertainment for some to see innocent Sewists drenched during the last 5 miles of their cycle from London to Southend.

But consider yourself warned: the British bull dog shall not be cowed. Do you think we’ll lose hope? Never!

We continue to put our faith in the power of the deckchair:

And persistently admire these:

Certain Sewists WILL plough on with their make of the Swiss dot cotton dress with lace trim. As God is her witness, she shall wear a startlingly white summer dress!

We mean no disrespect when we say that you have met your match. Rain shall not stop this play.

We are, Sir, your obedient servants

The Rain-Soaked Sewists of Great Britain

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to An Open Letter To The Great British Summer

1. Sarah says:

How cool! I wish you best of luck, that your British summer will take that seriously and will give up. Our German summer would just get worse. At least you are in a fighting mood.

Greetings Sarah

2. Freya says:

Ha ha, we definitely won’t lose hope. I would be tempted to write: Dear Great British Summer – WHERE ARE YOU???

I’m still holding out for one of those Indian Summer’s…

3. Portia says:

….and as God is ourwitness, we shall NEVER go soggy again….especially not in a white sun dress;)

4. Dibs says:

hahahahahhaa. I shall love doing the Great Escape whilst ye mere mortals make do with the Great British Summer. Come friday, I shall be sipping pina colladas and whispering sweet nothings to monsieur mon mari while marveling at my change of fortunes besides a sculpture of one of the great spanish consquistadors.lol

5. Susan says:

Great British Summer- Hah, I have given up and am planning my autumn wardrobe. I stand in awe of anyone still thinking of making a white sundress, if I wore it it would look like a shroud on my corpse white body.

6. Valerie S says:

Ha! We, the soggy embittered sewists of the Pacific Northwest stand beside you, our comarades in climate. It’s been above 60 degrees F for about 3 days this year so far and so far is the second rainy-est year in history. I refuse to give up — never surrender! and will be sewing a sun dress this weekend.

7. Amy says:

That Swiss dot is gorgeous. I was looking for something similar to make a Christening dress for my baby niece, but I settled for a more modern dot cotton. That piece is going to make a great summer dress – no matter what the weather. Enjoy!

8. Felicity from Down Under says:

When I was living in England, late last century, one of the natives of my acquaintance cheerfully admired my dedication to the local water sports: I’d been out hiking. It seems that little has changed with regard to the weather, nor the steely Brit determination to ignore same and get on with life. I love it. Love the potential dress, too!

9. Scruffy badger says:

Ra Ra!!! You tell em Karen !!

10. ooobop says:

Well at least we have you, lovely Karen, to bring sunshine to our damp days! I think the finished dress will undoubtedly coax that shy little ball of burning hot stuff out from behind the clouds x

11. Lucy says:

Hear hear!

Sigh.

12. molly says:

I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, they never fail to entertain! good luck on the weather. Currently having torrential rains down here in oz, dismal!

13. Pin Queen says:

Hello from a wet, cold Swindon – no better down the M4 either. Roll on September – that’s when the sun’s been coming out to play over the last couple of years. It makes the brambles grow like billio and the sloes come early.
    Love the white cotton and can’t wait to see it made up.

14. yesilikethat says:

I have given up on summery dresses. I’ve actually got out the flannel and corduroy which I was saving for autumn sewing. I had a huge check yellow gingham 50s dress planned but it’s too depressing to be thinking about when the weather is so dreich! Looking forward to seeing what you make with the white cotton though, what lovely fabric.

15. melissa says:

Dear English Summer,

Don’t worry, I still love you. After 20 years of Pennsylvania Summers with their disgusting heat, 90% humidity, and equally steamy, unsleepable nights, I relish the opportunity to wear my lovely fall clothes in July. The rain just means I get to wear more tights and boots.

Love, melissa

16. Susan in Dulwich says:

Well said! I have people from the midwest of the US staying with me and my house is so cold they’ve asked me to put the heating on. They keep getting soaked when touring the city and I feel bad for them. I had to say no to central heating in July – instead we are all wearing handknits to keep warm.