When Crafting Meets Racing

Yesterday, I took part in the Harlow 10 – a ten mile race in Essex. In the heat. And the sunshine. When it was hot. At mile six I stopped running and started walking and crying – it’s amazing what a good blub will do for you. I picked myself up and finished the race.

Before we set off, I’d taken myself to a quiet corner of the field and used my new crochet project to keep my anxious eyes from watching skinny men stretching their ham strings. My bubbling nerves were kept at bay by a baby blanket.

Then after the race when I was red of face and  – well, I wish I could say ‘glowing’ – I was very glad I’d taken something pretty to change into after my shower:

Thank you, Pendrell.

Have crafts helped you in other areas of your life?

Conversely, are there activities that have, ahem, slipped because of our shared obsessions? I dragged my recipes out the other day. Oh yeah, I thought. Remember when you used to regularly cook from scratch? But now my path to the kitchen takes me past a Bernina…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to When Crafting Meets Racing

1. Debi says:

Congrats on the 10 miler! You look fabulous post-race in your Pendrell! I used to run…um, that’s the previous hobby that’s taken a back seat due to sewing 🙂

2. Kristen says:

Wow, that is amazing, well done! I think crafts have definitely helps my confidence level – learning that there is something that makes sense and seems to come easily to me. But yes, it has also taken over things like cooking (and also literally, or should I say litter-ally, the kitchen – there are scraps everywhere!)…

3. Scruffy badger says:

Well done Karen. 10 miles is mean! And in the heat it’s more hideously mean than in “perfect ” running conditions. I have been there, hating each lamppost along the way! Yep. If I didn’t sew I’d be a better runner. I’m convinced. And if I didnt sew I would have a better stocked kitchen and would be creating more in the kitchen, but do I care? Sometimes ! But then I get over it!

4. Jane says:

Aw, well done, as somebody who can barely run for a bus, seeing somebody clock up 10 miles is awe inspiring. Very good idea to have your prettiest Pendrell to change into afterwards, it did the trick like magic! x

5. Shelly says:

I remember those days! Not the running, don’t be silly I’ve never done that, the cooking but hey, you don’t put on weight sewing! 🙂 hehe!

Well done on your 10 miles, oooh… I’m feeling all puffed out now just thinking about it. You look so refreshed in your pendrell post-race.

6. Portia says:

Koudos Karen!
    Px

7. lazystitcher says:

Holy crap it was so hot yesterday… Well done!!
    ~Alana

8. shivani says:

wha?! 10 miles in yesterday’s glorious sunshine?! well done.

9. Kirsty says:

Wow, well done! To think I complained about driving 13 miles to drop something off yesterday, I am ashamed. And lazy.

Things that have taken a back seat to crafting: exercise, being sociable, tidying, getting laundry done in a timely manner etc etc.

10. Felicity from Down Under says:

Is there anything you can’t do?! Congratulations.

11. MrsC says:

Wow fantastic. I love the imagine of you sitting there in your race finery crocheting, priceless. 🙂 I like how craft allows me to contribute something useful – just made 2 dozen merino wool baby undershirts and hats for babies in the earthquake zone. It feels good to do something to help out. But no running on my horizons…or crocheting/knitting for that matter, hence the sewing merino not knitting it!

12. Marie says:

Congratulations, that’s brilliant! Although sewing has helped get me through many dark moments (mainly feeling sorry for myself for various silly reasons), the two things I love to do that have suffered as a consequence though are cooking and reading :o( One day I will manage to fit it ALL in…maybe when I give up sleep for lent or something…

13. lysy says:

Well done on the race!!! I’m the same with cooking nowadays – sewing is always more interesting 🙂

14. jokeOnly says:

Can I just say that I totally love your blog? You make me smile. Nice job!

15. GretchenH says:

Congratulations on finishing the race! I only run if chased, so I admire your determination to do this. Your post-race Pendrell photo is adorable!

16. molly says:

WOW, a race, as in running? I’m officially in awe of you. If someone asked my to run down the street, i would most likely stop and cry. If i had to run 10 miles, well, at about 1, you’d find me unconscious on the ground! so WELL DONE! and is that a medal i see? it matches your pendrell blouse very well, you could always use it as a matching accessory?

17. mooncalf says:

Congratulations!

I’d love to say that my crafts make a bountiful contribution to my sporting life but in actual fact the moment I took up knitting pretty much coincided with the end of my running endeavours and gym membership. I must try harder!

18. Amy says:

Wow well done Karen! I absolutely agree on the cooking thing – I think it used to be my ‘creative substitute’ before I took up sewing again. Now… it just takes too much energy to sew AND cook!