Pinning Down The Lawn

It was a nice, sunny evening when I got home and the garden was a jungle. So, rather than drag out my rotary cutter I decided to drag out the lawn mower. As the inches of grass peeled away, I discovered the above.

I’ve heard of pins in the carpet, but this is ridiculous.

I was so shocked that I had to sit down and have a refreshment:

Where’s the oddest place that you’ve found a pin? (Keep it clean – or not!)

UPDATE: To answer and thank Elizabeth for her question, things are much calmer in Walthamstow, though other areas of the country are still suffering. This is how my community has reacted:

Go, Walthamstow!

Not as low tech as it looks. The organisers of this have been active on Twitter.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Pinning Down The Lawn

1. Elizabeth says:

That was definitely the best time to take a refreshment! Wished I could have joined you. That is so funny that you found a pin in your lawn. You have a lawn??? Don’t you live in London? How do you have a lawn in the city? I have found pins in every room of my apartment. It’s amazing their ability to travel to remote places. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope you and your neighborhood is staying safe.

2. When I was little I “found” a pin in the heel of my foot, it was one with a ball on top like yours and went in at least half and inch.Years later my brother remembered it and admitted that he had put it there on purpose because it would be funny. It wasn’t!

3. I mean, he put it at the top of the stairs, where I “found”, not that he put it in my foot!

4. Karyn says:

It’s always my hubby who finds the pins and needles – mainly sticking out of his foot. I have gone to collect the children from school with a row of pins neatly pinned to my top, i’d forgotten that i had been pinning them to myself whilst sewing, i couldn’t figure out why i was attracting funny looks!

Glad you are safe and well and that things are calming down.

Kx

5. Kelly says:

I found a pin in my oldest daughter’s diaper, in a pile of , um, you know what. I have no idea if it went all the way through her because she had put it in her mouth (God forbid!) or if it somehow ended up sliding in from the top, or what. I remember I was so shocked I had to sit down.

6. Sandy says:

Love the “Respite Center”!

7. Debi says:

David has an uncanny knack of finding pins on the floor. I must be immune ๐Ÿ™‚

8. sarah says:

my boyfriend tends to find them in his foot too and even went as far as having a tetanus injection once!!
    I also found one in my bed one morning, it had been in there all night and just last week I found on while I was on holiday, must of snuck in my suitcase!!

9. Cat says:

I found a pin in my pendrell blouse yesterday – that blouse has been through the wash at least five times!

10. Nadine says:

My boyfriend really hurt his foot on “something sharp in the carpet” at the weekend. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that it was probably a pin, so I went through the motions of looking for the mystery sharp thing with him!

11. Felicity from Down Under says:

I’m heartened that your community is rallying so well. I don’t think I have any pin stories (obviously I don’t use them often enough; there’s probably a lesson in that).

12. Stephanie says:

When my son started school it was very cold so I made him a dufflecoat. Then the weather turned very warm so I knocked up a sweater for him to wear, sewing and embroidering all through the night. Only to find that the thing turned out way too big. A few times through the wash I also found the needle right under the arm. Forgot to take that one out when setting in the sleeve but he never noticed. Tells you how big it is. He’s in third grade now and there’s still plenty of room. But he insisted on wearing it. So we have very uhm, interesting pictures of his first day of school.

13. Sherry says:

Aah pins…. I had tons wedged between the floorboards in my workroom, and I had to get down there with the pliers to get some out when we varnished the floors! Found quite a few dollars worth of embedded Swarovski crystals too!
    My sister once discovered a lump in the hem of a leather jacket that she bought in Bali, and being a bit worried about what ‘product’ she had brought into the country we opened it up – to find a screwdriver!

14. yesilikethat says:

I’m glad to find I don’t have the only boyfriend who is continually stepping on pins. Somehow I always manage to avoid them but he’s like a pin magnet. Once I had to pull one out that had gone all the way into the ball of his foot, it was horrible. Of course, that was when I only used ball-headed pins – most of the ones I use now are the super-sharp ones with the tiny heads, I dread to think what would happen if one of them got stuck.

In my old house there were huge gaps between the floorboards, I’m sure at least a packet of pins went down there over the years. Carpet must be a nightmare in a sewing room!

15. Kayla says:

i once found about half of my pins scattered all over the mat just inside the front door arriving home…apparently the kitties learned to open the (always) closed door to the sewing space, get to the shelf, and drag the pin cushion around the house. i found the pin cushion upstairs haha. it was absurd

16. Lauren says:

I’ve found pins in the lawn too!
    I’m terrible, actually. I find them in the bed, the washing machine, my dressing gown, the sofa, shoes…it’s a wonder no one has dome themselves any real damage because me house is full of pins!
    And good on Walthamstow! I’m really cheered by how many people are coming together against the riots.

17. PinQueen says:

I think the majority of Brits have seen and had enough of these “rioters, thugs, looters” what-ever you want to call them. I feel ashamed when I see the shocking attitude of the young people.
    Anyway, pins… Sit down for this one.. When I was around 16 I one found one conming out of my big toe. The toe was a bit painful so I gave it a good prode and poke, as you do when something hurts, and a small pin came out – Eeww…..

18. LinB says:

Dug up a patch of lawn beside my house, years ago, for an herb garden (still waiting to plant the herbs, but that’s another story). Undisturbed since the house was built in 1964, the soil was full of a number of expected things — lumps of concrete, broken bits of brick, shards of glass, roofing nails, etc. And lots of naturally-occurring rocks. And some earthworms, stringy bits of electrical tape, some copper wire … and a rusty sewing pin.
    As to the riots, I quote Desmond Tutu: “Goodness is stronger than evil, love is stronger than hate. Light is stronger than darkness, life is stronger than death.” Amen.

19. RFMK says:

I managed to spill a whole box of plastic headed pins down inside a radiator once. I moved out before winter and always felt guilty that the new owners would be wondering why the lounge reeked of melting plastic when they turned the heating on.

20. Maryanne says:

Gah they get everywhere. I did wonder when reading this post whether maybe some time when you’d had a wine or two, the lawn looked like it needed pinning down, and if you look harder you’ll find them in each corner! ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. Suzanne says:

My husband and I found many pins in a bed at his Grandmother’s home. She had spilled a large container of straight pins, but thought she had gotten them all picked up. Nope, all night long, even after we searched for them, we kept finding them as we tried to sleep. Lol!

22. Clever blonde Donna G says:

Some funny stories there and yucky. My Nana, long since gone to heaven had a very painful and serious abscess in the inside bottom of her eyelid. The doctor removed a 1/4 inch tip of a hand sewing needle. The doctor suspected she had stood on it, Nana did remember pricking her foot over 6 mths earlier. It had traveled through her blood to the eye.

23. Anne-Marie says:

i’m very late commenting on this blog – by the way, I love your blog Karen and am now working my way through all of them! My husband found a large darning needle in his foot, picked up from the woolen Flokati rug; while he was at A&E having it cut out, I rolled up the rug and found a knitting needle that had woven itself in and would have been there a long, long time! I’ve not had Flokati rugs since.