Sewing Secrets A Deux

Well, it’s all been very busy here at Des Res Didyoumakethat, but there are some things I can’t share with you – secret sewing. No, don’t ask, because I can’t tell you. Don’t make me, don’t make me! All will be revealed in good time on another person’s blog.

Okay, I suppose I can share a sneak peak…

That’s all I’m saying…

Other sewing has been on Gertie’s Bombshell Dress. I made a second toile of the bodice and it fits great. No, I am not going to show you a photo of me in my pyjama bottoms and a calico bodice. You’ll have to sign up to the course to see that particular vision of beauty. But I can now get on with cutting out the fashion fabric and underlining with calico. So exciting! So precise!

Pinning calico underlining to the fashion fabric

The pieces cut out

Look, Mom! I’m hand basting!

Once the fashion fabric is cut out, it’s hand basted to the calico. We’re not allowed to pivot on a corner with either the thread tracing or hand basting. We have to extend each line of sewing beyond the corner point and start again with a new line of sewing going through the corner point. If that makes sense! Gertie’s better at explaining than me:

I believe this is for uber, uber accuracy.

Finished hand basted section. Only 12 more to go!

Gertie says that we can scribble anything we like on the underlining, as this layer of fabric will be encased between the fashion fabric and the lining. No one will see your pattern numbers, or arrows, or … secret messages:

If you ever meet me wearing this dress, be aware that the lower part of either my left or right breast is carrying a secret message.

I challenge you not to stare.

21 Responses to Sewing Secrets A Deux

1. Law says:

Lol, love that message I need that on the dress I’m making now!!! I might go with lovely lady lumps though :o)

I wish i had the patience to make this dress, but i am sure that seeing your finished version will convince me it’s worth the effort

2. Suzy says:

Ahahaha, love the message! I can’t wait to see it finished!

Also very intrigues by the mystery sewing…

3. Tilly says:

Oh Karen, you are so patient following the bombshell course instructions – you put the rest of us to shame! Oh well, I can experience the learning vicariously through you… erm…

4. RobinDenning says:

sweet!!
    All kidding aside, your Bombshell is looking very good!!

I know what you mean about slowing down and sewing carefully. It is a very pleasureable activity.

5. Felicity from Down Under says:

What a neat trick about tacking beyond the corners for precision. I get that, but it’s so simple when you think about it. I’m staring already, you might as well know, but I’m guessing it won’t disturb you from this distance! Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

6. Debi says:

Ok, I am dying to know about the secret package!!! And I love your secret message in the underlining…teeheee!

7. Scruffy badger says:

Yo bombshell! Love the fabric you have chosen. Walthamstow? I’m liking the secret messages too!! Could be a way to weave in good luck spells for every occasion it is worn…. Still to get my calico and get beyond lesson 1 😉

8. redsilvia says:

Well of course they’d be staring at your tatas in a “Bombshell Dress”! Writing or not girl – that’s the point of it isn’t it…though that is funny. In fashion design school we used to have to thread trace by hand (!) and use a different stitch for CF and CB and different colors for different seams (or maybe that was just me). Boobalicious writing was NOT allowed. Should have been for extra credit.

9. Maryanne says:

Love it. I know what you mean about going slow and doing everything properly, it appeals to the other side of the brain too. (technical writer here!) I wish I had the figure to rock this look, I’ve always loved it and it’s been years since I made dresses like this, and last time they had velcro under one arm for the removal of on stage for Guys and Dolls! 🙂

10. Pingback: sewing vintage jacketScruffy Badger Time

11. Jane says:

Top marks for your patience Karen, it’s something I need to work on with my sewing! My husband has a very nice Paul Smith shirt and the first time I ironed it (downtrodden housewife that I am) I found the words ‘good luck’ hand embroidered inside one of the facings. It was the most lovely surprise I’ve ever had whilst ironing (not that I’ve had many)! Your secret ‘boobalicious’ just reminded me of it. x

12. mooncalf says:

I love this blog *GRINS*

13. Portia says:

Boobalicious! Love it!
    Nice package. Someone clearly shares your love of orange 😉
    Px

14. Eugenia says:

I am so impressed with all the careful work you are putting into this project but I know that it’s going to be worth it. Not only because your dress is going to be superbly constructed but because of all the good stuff you are learning to do – it will stand you in good stead for the future. I love the hidden message – very funny!

15. SewOm says:

OMG – that message made me laugh out loud! Thank you, and continued good luck with your dress.

16. Pingback: I’m A Refashioner! | Did You Make That?