Get Out Of Bed And You’re Dressed!

Just over a year ago, I attended the Horrockses exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum on a trip organised by Tilly and the Buttons. This was the first time we met – how could I possibly have known Tilly would be such a delight? (Other than by reading her blog, of course!)

It was a great exhibition and afternoon. Fast forward a year, and Horrockses have cottoned on to the vintage bug, by rejuvenating their brand to make homeware. I read about this at The Guardian here.

Horrockses, who have a grand tradition in 40s and 50s dresses, are also supplying a free pattern for a sundress! You can find the PDF link here. Shame I didn’t spot this sundress at the START of summer.

Horrockses suggest making the dress out of one of their new range quilt covers and pillow covers. That adds up to about £100 a dress. I don’t know. I don’t mind cutting up an old quilt cover, but something bought brand spanking new? At that price? Think I’ll go down Walthamstow market!

Still, it’s interesting that Horrockses have decided to rejuvenate. I wish they’d made some dresses, too. I probably couldn’t afford them, but it would be nice to dream.

20 Responses to Get Out Of Bed And You’re Dressed!

1. Stevie says:

I loved that exhibition too! I’m using it for part of my dissertation on the culture of dressmaking! I heard they were suggesting that but I don’t think it will be long before they will answer demand for their dresses again! x

2. Debi says:

Great they have a new free pattern! YaY!

3. Kerry says:

Oh I do like how they used the bedcover on the dress, excellent pattern placement. But £100? ….Nah!

4. Methinks I’ll get a cheap duvet from somewhere else! But the pattern is pretty good!!

5. yesilikethat says:

I took almost exactly the same shot of the Horrocks exhibition! It was dreamy. One of those times you want to go home with every exhibit. My favourite was the white lace wedding dress with a collar and kimono sleeves.

I also saw one of the new bed-sheet dresses in person at Vintage at Southbank. The fabric looked a lot heavier and more home-dec than the original dresses in the Fashion and Textile Museum exhibition, and for £100?? Words fail me. Beautiful colours and designs though, wish they’d sell them as prints to frame.

6. victoria says:

They sell some dresses in V&A shop but yes they’re pricey

7. Roisin says:

I will download that pattern, and I really like the idea of making it out of bed linen – I have my eye on some V&A stuff on sale in Cargo Home Stores. I won’t be paying £100 for it though – I think that suggestion is a wee bit on the strange side!

8. Cindy says:

Gorgeous! I just made a muslin out of a bedsheet and I kept thinking that “this stuff” isn’t bad! Unfortunately my sheet wasn’t as cute!
    Thanks for sharing.

9. Geri says:

Oh I wish I had been to the Horrocks exhibition — the dresses look divine! But thank you for the link — I’m always a sucker for a free pattern — and this way I get to claim I have a Horrocks dress 😉

10. Felicity from Down Under says:

Eye candy of the best sort! Thanks indeed for the link. As it is coming up for summer down here, though you’d never think so at the moment, and as I, too, am always a sucker for a free pattern, it might well be that, Horrockses or not, I could end up with a pretty new sundress. I haven’t had one in a long while (sundress, that is), so you might have answered my prayers. 🙂

11. Rose in SV says:

What a pretty dress! thank you for sending the link to the pattern–but am I missing something. I mean that I know that A4 paper is a different size that 8.5″ by 11″ (I’m in the US), but the pattern pieces seem a little small.

Rose in SV

12. mooncalf says:

ooh yes. And I particularly wish they’d made the green one with the red splodges. Nice!

13. Law says:

Just downloaded the pattern. Also spotted their blog has a competition where you can win a custom made dress using one dress pattern and some of their bedding. Check it out.

They have such a market here if they released more patterns and maybe had a range of (affordable)dress fabrics. Even if they didn’t make the dresses, then at least we could. £100 for a duvet cover and a pillow case is absurd!

14. Karyn says:

Thank you for sharing. I would need a kingsize duvet though!! Although in the fabric store I keep in the loft i am sure there is some pretty Laura Ashley fabric that i’ve been saving for something special!!