Swimming Along To Heaven*

A week after sharing my woes about practical, daily dressing I had a rare day of no cycling or gym-ing which meant I could put on a dress! It felt only right to mark this momentous occasion with an embarrassing public photograph.

This is me in St Pancras station with a statue of John Betjamin. The two of us are gazing in wonder and awe at the station roof, a kind stranger coerced into photographing us. (Thanks, Carol!) John is wearing a mac, I am wearing my Vogue 8667 dress, made in magenta wool from Stone Fabrics. I gotta tell ya, it’s a great dress! Perfect for Autumn.

I don’t need much of an excuse to get the glad rags out, as evidenced by Operation Oonaballoona. If you haven’t already heard, Dolly Clackett is organising a get-together in October so that I can wear my Gertie bombshell dress once it’s, ahem, finished. (Well, I’m sure that’s not the only reason.) Do sign up if you fancy joining us. It’s guaranteed to be a riot!

* The only vaguely optimistic Betjamin quote I could get. God, his poems are depressing!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Swimming Along To Heaven*

1. Eugenia says:

Your magenta dress surely bought a splash of colour to St Pancras. It is such a beautiful dress, in a lovely colour. As you say, perfect for Autumn! I think that John Betjamin is actually Sir John, so I hope you were suitably reverential – at least you were suitably dressed to be mixing with the upper classes! So no pressure to finish your bombshell dress then? Hah!

2. Sherry says:

Every time I see you in this dress – well, a pic of you – I think WOW! It looks so fabulous, hopefully you have many non-gym non-cycling days so you can show it off!

3. Suzy says:

A meetup in October would be fantastic. Maybe I will have my bombshell finished πŸ™‚

4. janine says:

Glad you got to wear your beautiful dress – It suits your colouring as does Sir Johns – I mean his coat suits his colouring .

5. oonaballoona says:

how i WISH i could meet you in london avec bombshell. do you think ruggy might be persuaded? i mean, if EVERYONE is wearing a bombshell and going to london…

(as always, this purple dream dress is magnificent.)

6. Felicity from Down Under says:

it’s great to see that your beautiful dress isn’t just a “special occasion” item. And, yes, I too hope that you get many more non-gym, non-cycling days on which you’re able to wear it.

7. mooncalf says:

Imagine there being a famous poet called John Betjamin as well as one called John Betjeman!! They even look quite similar! What are the odds? πŸ˜‰

LOVE the dress. I really wish I has your colouring and could pull off bright colours like that. Nice work and, as you say, perfect for autumn.

8. Amy says:

Gorgeous dress, and equally gorgeous blog! I love your idea of getting perfect strangers to take your picture in public. That would really be a challenge for me – definitely push me out of my comfort zone! And, I have to say that I’m jealous that you sewing bloggers are always having meet ups. I guess I can’t complain – Mena at the Sew Weekly proposed a San Francisco meet up this weekend, but it’s my own fault I won’t be going. It’s 1920s Gatsby themed, and I didn’t get my act together in time. Anyway, nice to meet you, and happy sewing!

9. Nicky Passmore says:

Hi Karen

Thought I’d say a quick hi – as I love your blog and read it often (found you via scruffy badger).

Following your previous comments about Stone Fabrics, I made a detour there today on the way home from a week in Cornwall. It’s amazing! Thanks for broadcasting it.

Nicky P. x