Save Me The Waltz

So this has been the area behind my desk for the past week or so. I know, shameful. The same jar of coins that bought me my overlocker also stretched to a dressmaker’s dummy.

Various boring delivery hiccups that I won’t go into here, meant that I ended up getting the dummy sent to my work address. All I needed to do was get it home. It’s a good job dressmaker’s dummies aren’t too heavy. I decided to call mine Zelda after Zelda Fitzgerald and in honour of Sew Weekly‘s Gatsby theme this week. Come 5.30pm, it was time for us to journey north. Would Zelda make it?

Zelda and I wait patiently to get on a tube.

We get to the end of the line. So does someone else.

Waiting for the overland train. Zelda’s coping well!

Home! ‘Mine’s a martini, Karen.’

Just another day in the life of a Sewist.

ALERT! My refashion project with Miss P has gone live here. See how I coped with a voluminous gingham dress…

24 Responses to Save Me The Waltz

1. Marie says:

Aaaw, Zelda’s lovely! I can’t believe your change pot stretched to pay for such amazing things!!!

2. swoosh says:

Grats on getting Zelda! I’ve got something similar planned for Christmas hehe.

Also – awesome post. I have been looking for ready made piping in London for a while as I’ve only got a strange teal shade left from the stash I picked up in the US. The McC&W site didn’t promise a lot so I didn’t venture to find it until now but I am dropping by tomorrow for sure! I had actually resolved tonight to go buy piping cord and make my own.

3. Andrea says:

Love those turquoise tights! You must’ve had a ton of coins in that jar…

4. Allison says:

Ooh, Very nice! I just got a dress form about a month ago, and have been planning to write a very similar post. I’m still trying to come up with a name. Allison 2? Gertrude?

5. Amy says:

Wonderful that Zelda travels so well! And, is that the start of a Bombshell dress?

6. Vicki Kate says:

Hee! What fun (well apart from delivery mishaps…) Can I be nosy and ask what make Zelda is? I’m starting my research in the hope of saving for a dress form, so am bugging people about theirs!

7. Scruffybadger says:

I was just about to ask the same question as vicki Kate. I am desperate for one, have ventured into a couple of bloodthirsty battles on eBay where I retired hurt. I think the only thing for it is to start a piggy bank like you.

8. Law says:

Zelda is looking hot in the bomshell bodice. Not as hot as you will though. Out of curiosity what dummy did you get and is it pretty accurate in terms of matching your measurements?

9. Felicity from Down Under says:

gosh, how big was that vase?! And did you really starve so that you could throw away – I mean, discard into the jar – reasonably worthwhile amounts of money? Zelda will make a huge difference and, as has been said, she’s looking a bomb in the bombshell.

10. Zelda looks great (note to self – must find my dressform in the loft v. soon!).
    How similar does she come up to your own figure one you’ve fiddled with all the dials etc.?

11. In terms of matching my body measurements: I gave this the most rudimentary adjustment when I tore it from the box. I really need to spend some proper time with it, adjusting the dummy to suit the vagaries of my body. I’ll report back!

12. Shelly says:

Definitely the way to travel…….with a friend! It’s amazing how many coins those jars can hold isn’t it. I’m sure you will enjoy a long and lasting friendship with Zelda.

BTW she looks fabulous in her bombshell bodice. šŸ™‚

13. Suzie says:

Wowie – are you sure you didn’t accidentally drop a few Ā£20 notes into that jar of coins – can’t believe it stretched to your overlocker AND a dummie….now I’m sure jelous.

But, I’m loving Zelda, especially in navy blue!

Can’t wait to see your bombshell dress finished, it is looking great.

• Ha, ha – well, there’s a story there! I kept dropping coins in the jar and could never work out why I never reached the top of the jar. When I came to empty it out I found several notes hidden in the coins, put there by a boyfriend who felt guilty about all the coins he’d been ‘borrowing’ from the jar. That’s why it never reached the top – and that’s why I could buy both items.

14. Suzie says:

P.S. I meant ‘super jealous’…not ‘sure jelous’…honest I’m not from Texas (no offence to anyone who is, of course)!!!

15. Love it! This does not however, mean you shouldn’t also make a DIY tailors dummy out of parcel tape!I think it should be a right of passage for every sewist šŸ™‚

16. does not mean, must proof read before I post !

17. Erika says:

Wonderful! Just love your writing Karen, always such a treat to read about your adventures =)
    How fortunate that the boyfriend fiddled with your savings like this, not at all bad to get both an overlock and a dress dummy from a jar of change. Hope you get the dummy to match your shape! I’ve realised mine wont and maybe never will, my measurments are just way too strange. However, even with that, I’ve found it a gerat help in the sewing room. If nothing else, it’s an excellent way to store shape-delicate projects during work week =)

18. Sarah says:

Welcome home, Zelda! She’s lovely, Karen! šŸ™‚

19. Suzy says:

Wonderful name, Zelda!!! And bombshell looking awesome! Will be great to see it in action at the cocktail party šŸ™‚ Hooray!!

20. kuby2u says:

Congratulations on Zelda. I have to alter Beatrice as no human I’ve ever seen (and I’ve been a nurse for over 30 years) has breasts like that and it makes everything I make look awful. I think the name of my dress form is called “Uniquely You” made of a solid foam rubber.

21. Pingback: Ruminating on Zelda | Did You Make That?