Quote For Today

I am full of stinking cold, and have come out of a long meeting, but seeing the above on London Underground cheered me right up! I thought you’d enjoy it, too.

NB Does anyone have hints or tips about finishing the handstitching of a dress lining to a zip? Specifically, at the very bottom of the zip, where the lining closes back into a seam? I’ve never felt fully satisfied with my finishes on this part of a make. Last night I trawled my reference books, my sewing magazines and the Internet. Nada. Naught. Nothing.

Is this an area that experts discreetly pass over because there’s no easy answer?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Quote For Today

1. Joanne says:

Heheh very good – I also love it when tube drivers make jokes over the loudspeaker and you look up and smile and catch someone else’s eye doing the same thing.

I’m afraid I can’t help with the lining issue though – not got the skills for that yet! Sorry! Sending healing thoughts for stinking cold though 🙂

2. Stacy says:

You might check out Sewaholic’s blog (http://sewaholic.net/) she has a lot of great how-to. Love the quote by the way.

3. Andrea says:

Ha– I like the dark humor.

As for linings, I don’t know what others do, but I just leave the last little bit unsewed. I’ve also found that sewing it down looked unsatisfactory, mainly because I usually wouldn’t be able to get the back seam of the lining centered without puckering up one side of the other!

4. frk.bustad says:

Great quote! Everyday humour is so important…
    I’m not quite sure what you mean by finishing the lining, but maybe this can help: http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/finishing-the-top-of-a-zip-%E2%80%9Cfiskars-unzipped%E2%80%9D
    or
    I normally sew the lining up to the opening of the zipper, and just hand stitch (slip stitch) to the zipper.

5. I think that’s what we call “humour anglais” in France. I wish the RATP (French Underground Company) did the same, but it will never happen, alas.

6. piakdy says:

Can you post a picture of the lining area you’re talking about? Don’t quite understand the description…

7. Great quote, I think I’ll have to borrow that.
    I’ve wondered myself about making a neat zipper with a lining. I hope you get a good answer.
    Get well soon, colds suck.

8. Vicki Kate says:

Could you show a picture as I’m not quite getting the description either. I have the same issues with zip to lining finishes though but have just finished the lining against a zip quite successfully and will do a post about what I did. It should go up tomorrow morning all being well…

9. LinB says:

I typically do a butterfly stay at points of stress, as at the top of a side slit on a tunic, or at top of slit in skirt or pants hem. I also do one at the bottom of a lapped zipper opening, and on lining seam where it splits to receive the zipper. You could do a hand-made bar tack, too. Learned the butterfly stay in a Threads magazine article about a British designer couple, years ago. Let me see if I can find the article to reference it for you. [long pause] No luck on website. I’ll have to thumb through old copies at home tonight.

• That’s very kind of you – please don’t go to too much trouble.

• LinB says:

What, and miss the chance to ignore my husband’s television shows as I pore through those marvelous documents? There’s only six per year, and I know what year it was … Victory! April/May, 1996. Page 68: “To Make a Figure 8 Tack.” Article is under the heading “Details to Die For.”

10. MrsC says:

Leave the little gap. It’s perfectly acceptable 🙂

11. I always just leave a gap at the end of the lining seam too. I remember having a look at some RTW dresses when I was lining a dress and they were done like that.