Fame! Baby, Remember My Name

Mum sent the photos over. Here are some of the outfits that were sewn or cobbled together so that I could prance around on a stage and wear insane amounts of make-up as a student at the Rita Owen Theatre Dance School. I use the word ‘student’ loosely. Dance classes were just what my sisters and I were made to do on a Saturday morning to get us out of the house.

So many questions spring to mind.

• What nun wears that amount of blusher?
  • When did Oliver Twist workhouse boys ever wear that amount of blusher?
  • Why is one of the Dickensian ‘boys’ using a plant pot as a gruel bowl? Is that the best they could do?
  • What sicko decided it would be a good idea to make us wear disco decorations as dance outfits?

Youth. Sometimes it should remain locked in a cupboard…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Fame! Baby, Remember My Name

1. A to Q1: A Naughty Nun at a vicars ‘n’ tarts party ;)?

P.S. How cute do you look in those pics – clearly Catherine Zeta Jones stole all the good parts as you’ve been robbed of the movie/musical/showbiz career you clearly deserved hun :)!!

2. Scruffybadger says:

What an array of styles. Clearly see where your interest in dress making came from! But remarkable blusher, it’s awesome. My memories of childhood costumes were not nearly so pleasant with the exception of the medieval country dancing get up our school paraded us in ( and my mum made for everyone amazingly) outside wells cathedral in some kind of festival. Thefollowing year it was circle skirts and matching neckerchiefs. Not a spot of blusher to be seen apart from the natural glow brought on by dozy does and lots of partner swinging. ….

3. Joanne says:

Heheh brilliant! I remember going round my friend’s house on a Saturday morning and dancing in her sister’s ‘disco’ costumes – glitter, tinsel – the works. Ahh takes me back.

4. Tamsin says:

Wow, that is alot of blusher! How brave to put them up for us all to see! I helped with the make up for a couple of our school productions when I was a kid and it was like using crayons for the face – rather a lot got used at our productions too!

5. Juliab says:

Obviously the metallic curtain look was a tribute to Pans People ..

6. Marie says:

Brilliant! I am impressed with the liberal use of blusher…it’s really something ;o)

7. Emer says:

Love your pictures, brings me back to my youth too. I used to own a dress like the first one, and wear it out in public.

8. Erika says:

Aw, you made an adorable nun! ; ) Seriously, one person sewed everyones clothes? I really hope she got paid… Thanks for posting this, sure made me smile =) You’re a brave lady!

The frequent use of blusher is notable, however it might have been called for! Ever gone backstage at a theater after the play? Always gives me a bit of a shock how sstrong make-up everyone’s wearing. Sure, I could tell from sitting in the audience that they had a bit of make-up, but up close it’s almost grotesque. So maybe they were just trying to give you a taste of the professional theatre-world? =)

9. Molly says:

Haha! This is why I work backstage! (Making people wear those hideous, bizzare costumes…. 😉 )

10. Elizabeth says:

You are one brave soul. Cute pictures!

11. Ah, that is fantastic. Thanks for being brave and sharing, I enjoyed that tremendously. Makes me wonder how much blush I was wearing as an orphan in “Annie” in Grade 8.

12. Suzanne says:

I love it! Thanks for sharing the photos!

13. kuby2u says:

Cute photos Love those musicals. I remember having to memorize “Consider Yourself At Home” in the 1st grade. Loved this post, thanks for sharing.

14. oonaballoona says:

no no no no no. my brain hurts from all the pictoral goodness. telling, how lovely you look as a nun and seconds later how come hither you are in your pink tin foil.