The Last Gasp Of Summer Skirt

Butterick B5285

This skirt is the Butterick 5285. Isn’t it pretty? Look at those pleats – perfect for cycling in.  They’re perfect, too, for adjusting a fit. Just deepen the pleat if you need to take the skirt in and if you need more room… You get the picture.

I’m so glad this cotton has finally been used as it’s been languishing in my stash box for over a year. The black daisies are appliqued on – so cute. This fabric would not have been expensive – nothing ever is at the Textile Centre in Walthamstow, where I bought it. I’ve noticed that this shop is very good for border prints, so if that’s your bag you know where to head.

The cotton is very fine and light, so I lined the skirt in a red poly-cotton mix off the market. I didn’t want to duplicate the skirt pieces – all those pleats in the lining would have created extra bulk. Instead, I brought out my old faithful vintage pattern for an A line skirt and used that as a template for a simple lining. Perfect! My hope is that the lining will allow me to wear this skirt with leggings when the weather turns colder. But for now, this make is perfectly timed for the last heaving gasp of a British summer. It’s steaming out there.

For another (very different) make of this skirt, check out Erica B!

I’m in Cheltenham this weekend. Anyone know any good, ahem, fabric shops?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to The Last Gasp Of Summer Skirt

1. Ashley says:

Ooh, I love it! The fabric is gorgeous, and those little black flowers make it perfect 🙂
    Ashley x

2. Alessa says:

Cute one! I totally love the appliqued fabric – and I’m a sucker for border prints! Too bad don’t spend enough time in London…

3. Rosy-Jess says:

I grew up just outside Cheltenham and have always found it somewhat lacking in fabric shops. I’d be very excited if you found any!

4. Vicki Kate says:

Soo cute! I love your t-shirt too.

5. Tilly says:

Karen, this is beautiful! I love border print skirts but haven’t got around to making one yet. Perfect for this Indian Summer, but it’ll also look great in the Autumn – I’m seeing a black scoop neck knit or a cream mohair cardigan. Plus wooly tights – yay!

6. Michelle says:

Oh wow! Stunning fabric just screaming to be made into a skirt like this. And it has pockets! Yes!

7. joanne says:

wowza i absolutely love that skirt. the fabric, t
    he shape,the pockets… it’s gorgeous! nice pins too karen 😉 i may have to copy

8. molly says:

I love it Karen! It looks super cute with a tee, but I can imagine it will be very adaptable. Pat yourself on the back for that one!

9. swoosh says:

That is sooo pretty. So pretty. It looks great on you!

10. prttynpnk says:

Ah, I love a border print and your embellishment makes it even more the treat- so pretty!

11. Stacy says:

Oh, what a lovely border print! I like Tilly’s ideas for transitioning this skirt into autumn, too.

12. Carolyn says:

What a great new skirt! I love, love, love the border print!

13. Marie says:

Oh my, what a BEAUTIFUL skirt Karen! I love that fabric and you could totally wear it in the winter with some wooly tights or leggings. For now enjoy it in the blissful heat! Oh and Erica B’s version is very cool!

14. Elizabeth says:

The skirt is gorge and the wearer/maker is even more beautiful. You’re looking svelte! Beautiful!

15. Lynne says:

It’s gorgeous!! Love the pockets (very practical!), and the fabric is beautiful.

16. Alethia says:

Such a beautiful skirt and the fabric is sooooo pretty.

17. Erika says:

Lovely summer skirt! I loved the border and the black appliqued flowers (how practical to get such a nice detail “already-made”). And pockets! Pockets might be the theme for my fall/winter sewing =)
    I’m sure the skirt will look great in fall as well, those black flowers should make it easy to team it up with black, knitted tops and thights.

18. Jane says:

It’s stunning Karen, really gorgeous, you suit that shape of skirt so well. Needless to say I love the fabric too, I like a nice border print. Right, that’s it, I’m coming over to Walthamstow soon, I like the sound of The Textile Centre… x

19. Suzanne says:

Very nice border print!

20. Nice!! and freaky as I pulled out a summer me made today as well to make the most of the ‘last heave’.

21. Sarah says:

That is one cute skirt! Well done 😀

22. Scruffybadger says:

Wonderful!!! Love the border print Clever pleated pattern with pockets too! Cheltenham fabric shops- might be too late as will they be open on Sunday? When I was there recently I found 2 on Albion street. Didn’t go in mind you. Albion street is kind of on the inner ring road at the boots end of town, not Montpellier. If you find the chicken inn you’re just about there! ( my teen years in cheltenham, chicken inn was Saturday lunchtime haunt!!)

23. ooobop! says:

What a great shape skirt. And the border pattern really emphasises the fullness at the bottom. I have to say it looks a million times better than the illustration on the pattern front. How often does that happen?! Really lovely, Karen.

24. Portia says:

Totally your shape. Your waist looks teeny (jealous? moi?)
    I’m with Tilly. You could totally layer that upfor the Autmn too.
    Nice job!

25. Eugenia says:

Your skirt is sensational! The fabulous border print and beautiful colour make it a real show-stopper. And perfect for this crazy heatwave weather we are enjoying!

26. Roobeedoo says:

Oh my word – those black flowers are INSPIRED! It looks so… expensive! Stylish! Different! All the things that make it worth while sewing your own. Love it!

27. love how it turned out. Love the fabric, love the red and white, love the fit. Love the t-shirt too!

28. Amy says:

What a lovely skirt! I recently tried to make myself a pleated skirt, and while I’m happy with it, I think I much prefer the lines on yours. It’s all a learning experience I suppose. Yours is such a great use of that fabulous border print. Beautiful.

29. shivani says:

this is really lovely! you totally rock that bright colour!

30. Felicity from Down Under says:

I agree with the comments about the fabulosity of the skrt. My query is more mundane: does a skirt that long allow you to cycle safely? I only cycle when made to do so, but I’m genuinely curious about how safe that would be? (Obviously it must work or you wouldn’t be telling us it does. But. But I’m curious.)

• Totally fair question, Felicity, and I think you have quite rightly spotted that I am pushing the limits of what type of skirt I can cycle in without the hem getting caught in the chain. With those deep pleats, this skirt billows out! Fortunately (or unfortunately!) for me I am currently cycling a man’s bike with a top tube that scoops the skirt up. I suspect that on a woman’s step through bike I could still just about get away with this – but only just.

31. Pingback: B5285 – The Dino Skirt | Did You Make That?

32. Pingback: Pattern Pyramid Pick Progess (De-80s-fying). And a Sewing Dare! | Gjeometry

33. Gjeometry says:

Hi Karen. Love, love love your skirt! I am going to attempt to make this same skirt, but with Ikea Fabric I bought. I hope it turns out half as well as yours. I wanted folks to see your version, so I linked to your blogpost here: http://gjeometry.com/2013/03/04/pattern-pyramid-pick-progess-de-80s-fying-and-a-sewing-dare/ I hope that’s ok! 🙂