The Kindness Of Strangers

Noticed anything new about me?

‘Your fingernails are striped black and white.’

No, not that.

‘You’ve developed an obsession with Lego?’

Yeah, true. But that’s not the thing.

‘You have an awesome random giveaway that will close midnight Friday?’

Yes, I have, but that’s not what I’m digging for.

Check out my new header, people! I’d been playing around with it, trying to give the blog a bit of a spring clean. (Um, winter clean?) My attempts were feeble to say the least, and despite a few kind comments from readers, I knew it wasn’t right. I am not a designer. I just don’t have the eye, technical knowledge or training. Or talent.

In the meantime, Leopard Anchor and I were exchanging emails about going to Crafty Pint this Saturday. (The two of us haven’t met before, but I recognise a kindred spirit when I read one.) In a passing aside, I mentioned that I’d love some hints and tips about updating my header. Immediately, Kirsty offered to design a whole new one for me. I couldn’t believe it. Readers, I had stumbled upon that most treasured quality in a person: kindness. And 24 hours later, I had a new header.

I gave Leopard Anchor carte blanche to delve into my Flickr photos. I was surprised and delighted by what she came back with! This is why I’ll never make a designer – I just don’t have the eye. I’m so pleased that a knitted make from long ago is seeing a new lease of life, and how sweet is that buttercup? I’m delighted that my sister’s photo of the Butterick B5605 dress gets a star turn. And what about the bunting? My wedding gift to a friend is immortalised. (But if you want to check out REALLY cool bunting with beautiful wrapping for a wedding, may I direct you to Leopard Anchor’s post here.)

Leopard Anchor claims she doesn’t like a lot of praise. I think she should get used to not liking much when we meet on Saturday. I have a whole heap of praise to pile on her shoulders.

Here’s a big ‘thank you’ to someone I’m really looking forward to meeting. If you fancy joining us on Saturday, do come along. Huggie Does Homespun will be with us, and she’s looking for crochet advice – so any crocheters out there, feel free to turn up in Tooting! The venue looks amazing.

Because a blog post wouldn’t be a blog post without a photo and because people seem to enjoy seeing London, here’s where I was today. Spitalfields Market – a meat market rich with tradition and the smell of meat! A barrow boy of advanced years (read retirement age) gently swore at me to get out of the way as I took this photo. I gave him my best smile back!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to The Kindness Of Strangers

1. Vicki Kate says:

It’s a beautiful header! Ms Anchor should definitely get used to be praised! Have fun on Saturday, I can’t wait to hear about it. Oh, and I’ve succumbed to the snood…

• You’ve succumbed to the snood! That’s wonderful news. I feel a second snood round up coming on. A lovely reader in America emailed me today with a photo of her snood – only her second knitting project. We crossed the Atlantic!

2. Elizabeth says:

It’s gorgeous. What an amazing gift!

3. lladybird says:

it’s so pretty & colorful! i’m jealous of everyone’s fancy headers… mine is part of an image that i found in a google search, which i have later learned is actually on the threads website. uh. oops. i should probably change that.

naw.

4. Tilly says:

It’s lovely! Good work by Leopard Anchor – she really does have a good eye (I’ve been coveting her beautifully decorated sewing space for some time). I love your expression in that photo – I imagine it’s the face you make when someone asks you, ‘Did you make that?’, a kind of half-surprise followed by a gracious curtsy – yes?

5. Michelle says:

Love your new header so much! It’s tres DYMT I think. Have a great time at your drinkie-poos! You know if I lived closer I’d be there in a flash.

6. ha! thanks dear! Dial-a -crochet expert, where is THAT in the yellow pages. I will have it with me!!
    Oh and if we need to put our feet up after some intense crafting : http://www.antic-ltd.com/tooting/

7. LOOK at that quality of those armchairs

8. That’s a lovely header. I am very envious of people who have an artistic eye and can create lovely things. That’s why sewing as a hobby has stuck with me (after trying card making, scrapbooking, clay work, beading and others I can’t think of right now) because someone else does all the designing and I just have to pick out a fabric – and I don’t always get even that bit right!

9. Marie says:

The header brilliantly sums up the flavour of your blog Karen! Kirsty is a talented lady, both creatively and technically…wish I had skills like that! Have a splendid time on Saturday!!!

10. Stacy says:

Love the new banner! Maybe I should update mine….might have to think about that. I love seeing your photos of London as well. Someday I hope to visit England…

11. Jasmine says:

A lovely header – I actually stopped and had a look, thinking “I don’t remember that bunting being there before” which shows I am not as decrepit as I thought I was…
    Maybe Leopard Anchor should do a tutorial on how to change headers. Cos I know mine sure as hell needs a jolly good talking to but I don’t know how to go about that, and just stuck with a lucky dip from Blogger.
    Now I shall go off crawling around Leopard ANchor’s blog!
    Have a lovelt GTG (get together)!!!

12. Sarah says:

What a beautiful new header! What a marvellous friend Leopard Anchor is!

13. Debi says:

Fabulous header–I noticed it immediately! I just love it!!

14. Clare says:

The Tramshed! I used to live around the corner from there and enjoyed many a pint of cider – it’s a really amazing building. There are some good fabric shops around Tooting Broadway too, just saying.. 😀 The new header is fab, what a lovely gift!

15. Roisin says:

The new header looks brilliant, and Tilly is just right about your expression in the photo – it’s perfect!

I wish I could join you all, but I’m going to be crocheting up a storm myself at the clothes show!

On another note, one of the best cups of coffee I ever had was in Spitalfields Market. I was somewhat hungover after a night out, but it was like nectar. I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for Spitalfields ever since.

16. Kirsty says:

Karen, you are too nice! Thank you for saying such nice things. Can’t wait to meet you on Saturday.

17. Roobeedoo says:

Love the new header!
    And your Spitalfields photo is so atmospheric.
    Sorry I can’t join you in Tooting – enjoy!

18. Jane says:

I noticed it straight away too, it looks fabulous. You’re right, Miss Leopard Anchor has got a wonderful eye for images that work together. I’d love her to do a tutorial, my header is pants!
    Enjoy your crochet evening. x

19. Love the new header!

I’m graphic-design-illiterate too. I’m quite embarrassed by it but just not quite enough to take the time to learn to be any better. I do wish I could prettify my blog… Maybe it’ll be a resolution for 2012?

20. Margarita says:

Hi, since a few month i folow your blog and i like it very much. The new heder ist great! :o)

21. Alessa says:

That’s indeed very kind of her – and such a good job she did! Have fun on Saturday!

22. Donna says:

Your header looks fantastic! I noticed it straight away :o)
    Kirsty is an amazing, talented lady, with a fantastic eye for design.

Have a fantastic time at the weekend ladies :o)

Donna xx