Key To The (Sewing) Door

I got up early this morning to cut the cashmere wool for my V8548 coat. I wanted to do this at the start of the day whilst my brain was fresh. Did I feel nauseous whilst cutting them out? Yes, I did. I was so, so careful. Once I’d finished, I had a few scant pieces of fabric I could put aside. Lovely, I thought. If anything goes wrong on the bodice I’ll have enough spare to cut fresh pieces. Then I decided to re-check my pattern pieces. Doh! I had to cut four sections of the back and front bodice, not two! I snatched up my fabric and held it in the air. Enough? Just. Really, only just. I would have wept otherwise. No way am I catching a flight back to New York for more fabric!

Yesterday I went to MacCulloch & Wallis for interlining. As ever, the staff were lovely and helpful. I chose a slightly stiffer fusible interlining because I think that funnel collar needs structure. You can see in the photo above where I’ve already attached the interlining to my bodice pieces. I don’t mind admitting that the thought of attempting bound buttonholes through two layers of wool and one layer of interlining makes me feel really ill. Needless to say, there will be many, many practice attempts first.

Whilst at MacCulloch & Wallis, I asked about the high visibility twill featured on their Facebook page. Pow! It’s HIGH VISIBILITY. A bit too much for my Minoru, I fear. But if you’re interested in buying this, it’s £12 a metre plus VAT. I DID buy some fabulous reflective piping:

The staff were so delighted at my mentioning their Facebook page to them that they gave me this:

This has made my year!

Seriously. It’s the small things in life…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Key To The (Sewing) Door

1. Elizabeth says:

If you run out of fabric (not trying to jinx you here), I will make a run to the garment district on your behalf. Good luck! That color is so yummy!

2. Karen your coat fabric is lush! Will you be making a back stay for your coat too?
    Oh… just had a random thought – as collar always seem to be one of the first hings to “go” or wear out/stain on coats – it might be worth making 2 of them (and keeping the other safe somewhere – ready to insert as a fresh replacement when needed 🙂

3. Kirsty says:

I’m so excited to see this make come together! And I’m very jealous of your keyring, how sweet of them, I would be giddy.

4. leahfranqui says:

Adorable. And look at you, jumping right in to your cashmere coat. That thing is going to be beautiful, I can just tell.

5. Clare says:

It’s going to be amazing, you can do those buttonholes! Since I saw your first post on this pattern I’ve been trying to remember where else I’d seen the coat made up. Anyway, it was Erica B’s site via pattern review about two years ago. If I remember correctly, she made quite full notes on her modifications which may be helpful to you.

6. Debi says:

I must say that the cashmere looks so AMAZING. I can almost feel it through the screen! SO GLAD you had enough!

7. Law says:

Fusible interlining! This isn’t interfacing you’re talking about is it (vilene and such)? If not this is a revelation to me!

Reflective piping sounds pretty Rad, could you use it in normal clothes just for a cool effect when you happen to be in a dark room??

I hate the cutting bit, and the idea of cutting cashmere would make me tremble so much i couldn’t cut straight i’d be so afraid i would mess it up. Cant wait to see the finished coat!

8. Marie says:

No wonder you cut your cashmere wool out so tentatively…it looks delicious! How scary thinking you didn’t have enough, but I’m pleased it worked out. I really can’t wait to see this finished, your muslin looked fantastic!!!

9. liza jane says:

It’s such a pretty color! The wool, not the high visibility stuff…

10. Sigrid says:

And we say we sew for enjoyment. . . I have to agree there is a bit of terror when I cut.

11. Amy Tuite says:

I know the feeling about cutting into fabric! It’s the most nervewracking and annoying part of sewing. If only I could pay someone to do mine for me….

12. Felicity from Down Under says:

You’ve done your homework by making the toile, now for the fun part that comes from knowing the groundwork has sorted out any problems. I am colour blind and know that computer monitors can be a shade unfair on reality, but the colour of that cashmere seems beatuiful. Like everyone else, I can’t wait to see the finished article. Good luck with the buttonholes.

13. Miss Celie says:

Is your reflective piping stretchy? I have both. The stretchy came from Canada and the non stretch from NY. The stretch was expensive and I’ve not built up my confidence to use it yet. LOVE the coat color 🙂

14. indigorchid says:

Reflective piping? That is so genious! Looking forward to the Minoru-sewalong – can’t wait to see everyone’s versions!