Donald, Where’s Your Troosers?

I’ll tell you exactly where my troosers are! Whipped off my body by the wind and rain and probably floating somewhere over the icy North Sea. Softie Southerner? Guilty as charged.

Can ye guess? I’m in Glasgee! (Glasgow for speakers of Received Pronunciation.)

I’m visiting with my sister, Tracy. I’d decided we were well overdue some quality time together, so booked us a city break up north, north, north. Everyone kept telling me how brilliant Glasgow, Scotland is and I love city breaks – so here we are.

I shared with Tracy my ideas for the title and opening tone of this blog post.

‘Oh, glad to see you’re not indulging in regional stereotypes,’ she said. Drily. Sarcastically. That tells you everything you need to know about my little sister. I howled with laughter. As we walked through the rain. With cowed shoulders.

Have I mentioned the weather yet?!!!

First off, huge thanks must go to Kestrel Finds and Makes. A Glasgow resident, she sent me loads of tips for places to visit in an email which has rapidly become our bespoke version of Lonely Planet. ‘Oh, Kestrel says to do this – let’s go here!’ Thank you so much, fellow crafter.

First off – and let’s not mess about – we visited the Glasgow fabric shop, Mandors. It looks unprepossessing from the outside:

Here’s my sister at the door. I can’t understand it, but she peeled off towards a coffee shop. ‘Take your time,’ she said. ‘Phone me when you’re done.’ Um, okay!

As with Mandors, as with many fabric shops: don’t judge a book by its cover. Flashy the entrance may not be, but what a Pandora’s Box waited for me inside. This place has everything. EVERYTHING!

Suffice to say I bought some fabric:

It’s tartan. Would have been rude not to. I have very specific plans.

Moving on. We made our way to the Gallery of Modern Art. Tate Modern? Kapow – take that! This place is a really nice balance of thought-provoking and interactive. Crucially, it’s do-able in an hour. (I have a strict one-hour rule with museums and galleries. Anything beyond that gives me brain fry.)

Here are a few snapshots for your pleasure:

Yes, unbelievably, my art has made it into a national gallery. Really! Okay then, only by gatecrashing the children’s interactive section and taking part in a self-portrait session uninvited.

After lunch, rain, walking, rain, wine, rain, we decided to retire to our hotel. Which is heaven on a plate. The male staff wear kilts. There’s mulled wine and a roaring fire.

Can you tell? I’m having a GOOD time.

Lovely Sister, Reason For It All

13 Responses to Donald, Where’s Your Troosers?

1. Jane says:

That sounds like a fine visit – enjoy the rest of it. I love the fact that your gatecrashed self portrait is wearing a snood! x

2. Roisin says:

I can’t wait to see what you do with the tartan!

3. Mary Ball says:

Is than an official tartan. Love the pink

4. CGCouture says:

Ooh! I love the tartan! Oh the possibilities……. I’d also love a trip to Scotland (it’s right behind Ireland on my places to see list), but I doubt that ever happens. Sounds like you had a great trip and a good visit with your sister. 🙂

5. Roobeedoo says:

Woo hoo! Or should that be “ee-euch!”?
    Glad you made it to Mandors – and I love that tartan!

6. Judith says:

As your troosers flew across the pond, I hope your mother’s words of advice came straight into your ears….’Never go out without clean underwear’!!!! And so, this is why – always wondered the reasoning behind that one. Anyway, have a wee paddle in a puddle for me …

7. Marie says:

Apart from the grim-sounding weather, it sounds and looks like you’re having a grand time way up north. I love a good city break!

8. Kerry says:

Am so glad the tips have been helpful! And what a patient sister you have too, to indulge your fabric shopping.

It’s a shame the weather has been particularly grim, but if you happened to visit on a sunny few days in the summer you’d have to suffer the sight of a legion of pasty, topless men instead 🙂

9. Oh, Mandors…it’s fabulous! And so well organised too. If you have time for more fabric shopping, I liked Remnant Kings for the cheap and cheerful stuff. It’s on the first floor of a building that’s nominally on Argyle St but the door’s round the corner on Buchanan St.

I love your fabric picks. That colour is going to look great on you.

10. Alessa says:

Sounds like you’re having fun! Love the photos. 🙂

11. KristenMakes says:

haha looks like you had so much fun! I love the Wellington statue with his permanent party hat. I think Glasgow is great too, and am just in awe of their Mandors.