Tardis Travel – Take That Airport Security

Farewell, Glasgee! I’ve found a really FAST route back to London…

But before I left, I really had to get snapped with David:

Oh, look! I’m wearing a V1179.

Things I have learnt in Glasgow:

• To stand well back from puddles when cars speed past.
  • That the bus system is excellent and they’ll drop you where you like. (Unheard of in London.)
  • That Glasgow hospitality is second to none.
  • That the tardis really gets around in this city.

I feel that special mention should go to Iain and his wife. Possibly the friendliest couple in Glasgow, they stopped my sister and I as we left our dinner table one evening. We chatted and Iain wrote down a list of recommended things to do and see during our stay. Wasn’t that lovely of him? Then we exchanged cards. I gave him a screamingly pink card for my blog and he passed me his much more sombre business card. I’d had a glass of wine or two. ‘Oooh!’ I squealed. ‘Plant and Tool Hire!’ I hope Iain doesn’t think I was taking the mickey. I was genuinely just really excited to have met such lovely people.

Iain’s list, crumpled and rain-spattered

My only criticism of this trip is that I was unable to bring my knitting or crochet with me because of air plane carry on restrictions. The horror! (When oh when will air lines learn that middle aged women with knitting needles are not going to commit terrorist acts.)

I’m itching to get back to the sewing now, having been torn from my machine for DAYS. London, here I come!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Tardis Travel – Take That Airport Security

1. Elizabeth says:

Iain sounds like a cutie! And your trip sounds absolutely delightful. So jealous. Have a happy new year!

2. Sarah says:

How glorious!! Glasgow, by far, is one of my very, very favourite cities to visit. I’m so glad you had a marvellous time!

I completely agree about the knitting/crocheting on planes. Good grief! How exactly are we supposed to take over the plane with a 4.5mm circular needle? Honestly!

3. lladybird says:

i was worried about airport restrictions too (not that i’m going to be flying anytime soon, but eventually i’d like to visit my best friend in macedonia! lofty goals!), so i bought this set of interchangeable needles – http://www.knitdenise.com/. they are *supposed* to be airline safe, but now you’ve got me all terrified. what i am going to dooooo if i can’t bring my needles?! augh!

your trip sounds so lovely. i’m jealous; i want to go to glasgow!

4. Jeni Brown says:

I’ve flown to the US, Asia, Europe and New Zealand with my knitting in the last couple of years and never had any trouble. Heathrow even explicitly states on their website that knitting needles are allowed.

My advice would be to take a project on larger needles (if possible) and stick with plastic or bamboo rather than metal needles. Put your work in clear plastic zipped bag, so if security do want to take it out to check it, you don’t risk them pulling it all off the needles. And be prepared, in the worst case scenario, to quickly put your stitches on some waste yarn (so don’t forget the tapestry needle) and give up the needles if they’re going to create a problem. Saying all that, I’ve never had security stop me at all.

Of course, hitching a ride with The Doctor is way cooler…

5. Debi says:

YAY! So glad you had a great trip! And I second the recommendation to stay way back from puddles on the road πŸ™‚ And I also agree that airplanes should allow knitting needles…I mean, c’mon…..

6. Chris says:

Someone should invent a Tardis for mass comsumption – I NEED one!

7. Roobeedoo says:

What a fab trip! Sorry about the lack of knitting. I suppose you could have bought materials in Glasgow and then mailed your WIP home before you left… but maybe that would be a bit obsessive!

8. Kerry says:

Hello! Glad you had a lovely trip.
    I know it’s too late now, but you should be ok with knitting needles in your hand luggage – I had needles and small embroidery scissors in my cabin bag in November as according to UK flight regulations on the directgov website, knitting needles are among items now allowed. Airport security might still apparently cause a problem if unaware of this, but I printed out the info from the website and brought it with me just in case they said anything, but there was no problem.
    Hopefully next time you travel you should be ok!

9. Kerry says:

Sorry, it won’t let me post a link to the info I found, but on the direct.gov.uk website it’s under ‘Dangerous and restricted items: what you cannot take on board a flight’

10. Doo doo, doo doo . . . Swirling 70’s physcadelic tv screen, scary lound music ( and odd memories of gas and air at the dentist, but I digress) and in the blink of an eye the tardis has you home safe and well… I’ve enjoyed your posts this year and am looking forward to next. Best wishes x

11. Carrie says:

I had to google “taking the mickey.” πŸ™‚

12. Alicja says:

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I am not sure if it is for international travel, but on flights leaving Canada you can bring knitting needles…only if they are accompanied by yarn. Otherwise, they are a no-go πŸ™‚ Why you would bring needles sans yarn, I do not know.

13. My understanding is also that knitting needles are now permitted on planes. In the last couple of years I have travelled with bamboo needles in my hand luggage which aren’t detected by the X ray machines and I have never been challenged by cabin crew when I get my knitting out. I only take something simple – usually socks – so it’s not a disaster in the event of my needles being confiscated. Sock knitting always raises eyebrows so I’m more often than not hassled by staff wanting to know how on earth I’m knitting in the round!!

14. Ooh, thank you all so much for this comprehensive information.Wow, I can’t wait to start knitting on my next flight – and seeing what the attendants have to say.

15. Your trip looked so much fun and I love your V1179! Happy new year!

16. LinB says:

Knitting is fine on planes in the U.S.! When we travelled to Italy last year, I had no trouble — even with two sets of metal sock needles in my hands — on the way over. On the way back, I should just have packed everything in my checked luggage. At the Venice airport, I was pulled out of line and (lightly) frisked by a pleasant female guard who nearly laughed out loud when I showed her the work in progress in my purse. She apologized over and over for confiscating my needles. I got to keep the socks, which I later finished at home. (She missed seeing my folding scissors, in her relief at finding that I was not a terrorist.) Happy New Year!

• Ha, ha – glad to hear you managed to sneak your folding scissors through. Folding scissors… Mmmm, I feel an Internet search coming on!

• LinB says:

I find them in the oddest places: drugstores, dime stores, WalMart … usually in the “sewing department” but sometimes among office supplies. Have even seen them near the cash register at a hardware store. Oddly, I rarely see them in fabric stores. They typically come with a loop for attaching a ribbon or chain. They are cheaply made, and not very sharp, but quite convenient. The handles are hinged to fold back on themselves, enclosing the closed blades. I’ve never paid more than $2 U.S. for a pair.

17. KristenMakes says:

I say dare it and TAKE those needles! I have yet to have mine taken away from me and we just went to Florida and back. I only travel with circular needles though and usually wooden – less threatening I suppose. Plus they always have a project on them, as if to prove I really am a knitter. I’m sure someday they’ll confiscate them, but I HAVE to knit constantly so I will continue to tempt fate for knitting. I second that about Glasgow hospitality, they are so nice (with the exception of a few bus drivers). The bus system may be great but I wish that Edinburgh and Glasgow would adopt an Oyster Card-like system for fare/payment.

18. Nikki says:

It’s all true, I’ve checked the Heathrow website and the direct.gov.uk websites and both knitting needles and small scissors (with blades less than 6cm) are allowed! Weyhay, here we go, look out for knitters and embroiderers now filling up the airline cabins!!