Chalk It Up To Experience

One of the reasons I chose an Adjustoform Supafit De Luxe model when I bought my dressmaker’s dummy was that it had a chalk dust dispenser for marking hem lengths. Four months after purchase, I’ve finally used the chalk dispenser.

As you can see, trial and error was involved. My first attempt made quite a mess. Turns out, the dispenser positioning is adjustable and it needs to be really near your fabric:

Much better!

One small step for man, one giant leap for sewing kind.

14 Responses to Chalk It Up To Experience

1. Amber Elayne says:

Wow! I didn’t even know such a thing existed but seriously??? How good is that!!!!! I can’t wait to see the finished product!

2. Leah says:

Oh my! That is a mess!
    My dress for just has a little clamp that you can poke pins through
    I can’t wait to see what your making 🙂

3. shivani says:

haha – I had the EXACT same problem with my Prym chalk hem marker. I nearly chucked it in the bin but it turned out I was just a little bit too far (which I discovered quite by accident!). That chalk dust gets everywhere!

4. tabathatweedie says:

I have the same dummy and have never used that function!!! But if I ever do get round to it, I will have learned from your mistake. At least it was only chalk! Love that fabric, by the way x

5. I do want to know if it’s a useful function though as I am saving up for my own tailors dummy. Chalk hem marker yay or nay? Sounds like a good idea.

6. Anna says:

you’ve done much better than me, I’ve had my dressform for years and have never even attempted to use the hem marker! I do still know where the bag of chalk is though so I guess that is something!

7. Kerry says:

Ooh, I have a stand alone chalk marker of this kind that my mother in law gave me – a leftover of her dressmaking days. I haven’t really used it as I felt so silly standing there puffing chalk on myself!

8. gingermakes says:

Say, I love that grey-and-pink plaid! That’s awfully cute!

9. Judith says:

Looks less messy than my way – hubby down on his hands and knees, pins strewn everywhere, using the 1940’s stick that use to be my Grandmothers. Your chalk will give you a fine perfect line, that is, once the dust cloud settles…

10. grenouille78 says:

I didn’t even know such things existed! I wondered how other people marked their hems.

11. Steph says:

I’ve had mine for a year, and still can’t work out how to get the chalk into the dispenser!

12. Roobeedoo says:

So someone clearly plans a new frock to wear this weekend…!
    Oh no – is the dress code tartan?!
    This looks like a great device. I tend to measure hems from the waist down instead of the ground up… and end up with a droop at the back every single time!

13. ooobop! says:

Brilliant! That is so funny. Well at least you got round to mastering yours. I managed to break mine before I even got the chance!!

14. Wow! It reminds of the cool trucks they use to mark lines on pavement. Random, I know 🙂