Was It Worth It?

I promise this will be the last blog post about the V8548 coat (yawn – so over it, Karen) but I thought it would be interesting to consider how much moula I spent and how this compared to the cost of a shop-bought coat.

Because I keep scrupulous records of my sewing spending, I can give you a fairly accurate picture of the breakdown:

Coat expenses

Pattern 5.87

Coating and thread 63.43

Shot twill lining 30

Interlining 7.64

Dry cleaning 14

Coat chain 1.62

Hem weights 2.20

Buttons – can’t remember, um, 4

TOTAL £128.76 or just under $200 US

Not cheap, I think we’d all agree. Though some would argue this is a really good price for a cashmere wool coat.

Some of my original motivation had come from stroking beautiful coats in Hobbs, wincing at the price tag and then thinking, ‘I wonder if I could make one.’ So I decided to do a bit of Google research once I’d finished the make.

Full price, I reckon I’d be handing over somewhere in the region of £250-£300 for an equably decent coat. But this was January – the sales were on. I could see that a coat of similair standard could probably be got for about £150. So had all my hard work been worth the £21-ish that I’d saved?

What do you think? Was this all about the money or the experience? Did I endure a whole load of unnecessary heartache on this make? Are there times when it’s better to walk into a shop and slap your money down on the counter? (I, for example, have zero interest in  making underwear!) I think there are strong arguments on either side of the fence.

Let me know!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Was It Worth It?

1. Yes – absolutely worth it! You’ve got an individually fitted, unique garment 🙂
    You’d be better to compare prices vs. having a tailor make one for you surely – rather tahn vs. RTW off the rack costs?

Plus, did you learn any new sewing things… yes – and what price is there upon knowledge!! 🙂

2. Roisin says:

I think there probably are times when it’s easier and maybe more pleasurable to just buy something, and I’d include coats on this. But then, you see, I’m not really after a handmade wardrobe. I like sewing for the hell of it. In your case, with the coat… well, I don’t think I would do it. But knowing you, Karen, I don’t think you would have rested until you’d made a coat. It’s such a big project and you seem to thrive so much on challenging yourself. So as far as that goes, I don’t think that the £128.76 that your coat cost in money compares with spending a similar amount on a coat in a shop, because for your £128.76 you also got A LOT of experience (admittedly, also, some stress) and the satisfaction of knowing that you can do it. You might not ever make another coat, but you’re always going to look at coats now and know that you can do it, and you have done it. I don’t think you can put a price on that.

3. Kirsty says:

Value and worth mean so much more than money.

How much did you learn making this? A £150 sale coat wouldn’t teach you anything.

How much joy will you get out of slipping your beautiful coat on for the first time every winter, it will be immeasurable, and with good reason. Sure, you’d get joy out of a pretty coat you bought, but it wouldn’t even come close to the same lvel of joy, that’s why we’re in this game!

And lastly, you get to squeal “why yes I did” when someone asks “did you make that?”

4. Brumby says:

I agree with Claire, you should be comparing it with a tailor made coat not RTW. But even if you didn’t perhaps you could compare longevity? Will store bought coat still be wearable on 10 years time, or will the stitching have come undone, buttons fallen off, and cheap inadequate raw materials have given way? Your cost per wear based on this longer life will be less over the ten year period I believe. Besides, that smug feeling you are entitled to every time someone says ‘ I LOVE your coat, where did you get it from?’ is priceless non?

5. Dibs says:

Totally worth it. Think of all the new skills you have acquired, which can be put into good use in future. Look at it through the eye of a learner. You have gained couture techniques which would have cost a fortune in a class…..and that would have been without the coat.

6. shivani says:

SO worth it! For all the reasons already mentioned, and also because you’ll never be in that slightly awkward position of standing next to someone wearing the exact same coat on the tube/bus!

btw, I’m V impressed by your scrupulous recording sewing expenses!

7. ms. modiste says:

This is an argument my husband and I have about my knitting from time to time. He asks, what’s the point, when you could buy it for the same price or cheaper? My response is that it’s something I enjoy doing, and the product I get at the end is secondary. Imagine if everyone who devoted 20 hours to playing video games had a sweater pop out of the machine at the end! I suppose I try to remember that I enjoy the process, and the product is just a bonus.

This is a bit trickier with sewing, because I actually don’t enjoy the process as much – it really is more about the product, for me. So with sewing I just need to make sure that I value the skills that I’m learning while working on a project. I may not ever want to be able to make jersey tank tops or t-shirts (yawn), but I would love to say that I could make my own lingerie or wool coat or jeans – things that people usually don’t think they are capable of making. For that reason, all three of those are on my list, and I doubt I’d even bother calculating the cost. I’d be paying not just for the product but for the experience.

In other words: I absolutely think it was worth it. Because your initial motivation wasn’t “I need a coat” but, as you said, “I wonder if I could make one?”

8. cidell says:

You can’t compare this coat to a RTW coat. We all understand know about the fit issue. But, the quality of what you made cannot be attained at a mall shop. For reals. J. Crew has coats with thinsulate interlining. That’s an additional cost. They are the ONLY shop I’ve seen interlined coats available from. In addition, I can’t seem to find mostly wool coats for the life of me for under $300. I can’t find RTW coats with good liniing (flannel back satin, etc.) I LOVE my wool coat and wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love it so much that today I ordered camel colored melton to make a 3/4 length version.

9. Colleen says:

I figured out many years ago (even in the 80s) that sewing and knitting for yourself does not, for the most part, save much, if any money. By the time you’ve added up your costs as a hobby sewist, it’s often close to the same. Plus your time and aggravation.

What is comes down to is this:

If you had wanted “a” cashmere coat, then no, it wasn’t worth it.

However, you wanted “that” cashmere coat–the one you saw in your mind. You wanted THAT design, and THAT fabric.

And you knew you could do it, even though it wouldn’t be easy. You accepted the challenge.

Challenging ourselves and learning. That’s what moves us forward in life.

So to you, yes it was worth it.

• Completely agree with this. It’s not just about any coat, it’s about your beautiful coat in that sea of black coats. Personally, I hate buying coats. I’m always overheating in the stores, I don’t like forking over all that money without being sure how well it’s going to wear. They are rarely proportioned right for my short frame. I’m either drowing in it or I buy the petite and it’s snug across the back. I have not yet caught the bug to make one, I don’t trust my ability to finish a big project, but one day when it’s time to replace my dress coat and my skills are better, I suspect I will.

Your coat is not just any RTW coat that was picked over and left for the clearance sale, thus it is worth it.

• I agree, too! I think one of the best things you can do as you get older is keep the electricity jumping between synapses in the brain as you learn new things. It’s a muscle that needs exercising, like everything else. If you do that by pursuing something you’re really interested in, that’s a total result!

10. jessi says:

There is no way your hard work was worth £21. Would you ever work for such a small amount?

However, your coat is so vastly superior to one that you could have purchased. That makes it completely worth it. You have a unique coat that you can proudly say “I made it!” You have honed your skills so you could do it again. That is not something you could buy for £21. Totally worth it!

11. Lucy says:

The satisfaction and pure pride of saying ‘I made it’ when people ask you where you got that gorgeous coat are priceless. I get it from a shoddily made cotton shift dress, so you must get it a thousand-fold from your coat!

12. Reethi says:

Sometimes the math works, and sometimes it doesn’t – but the question to ask is – why are you sewing? Is it to actually save money? I’m assuming you are sewing because it’s a great hobby, it’s lovely to see improvement and being able to stretch one’s skills, and it connects you to a whole community of people who have the same interests as you. Based on that, I’d say – totally worth it.

And I do actually want to make my own lingerie (though maybe not a bra) – I can use real silk, umm, and real silk lingerie is (a) hard to find and (b) way too expensive.

13. Chris says:

No way was it worth it to save a measly £21 – your time is worth so much more than that, it must work out at pennies per hour. But – did you enjoy the process, despite the pain at times? Are you proud of and pleased with your final product? That’s why we sew, not to save money – well not always anyway. You have a stunning coat that gives you a thrill every time to catch a peek of it, let alone put it on, I would guess . . .priceless 🙂

14. LLADYBIRD says:

This is something I’ve pondered regarding both sewing and knitting. It probably would be cheaper in both finances and time to buy that coat or sweater. Of course there is always the argument that your handmade item will likely be better quality (even if I was able to snag a wool coat with rayon lining for a similar price, it would not have the beautiful hand-tailoring that mine does!) and probably fit better. But my biggest thing is that in addition to getting a pretty new garment, I am also basically entertaining myself for however long it takes to complete said garment. Sewing (and knitting now!) is my main hobby, so being able to roll both of those into one price is good enough for me!

• It’s a really good point about entertainment. Sewing keeps me out of the pub! And all those beers and wines would be vastly more expensive…

• LinB says:

Yes, you have to count the hours you spent dreaming about sewing the coat, planning to sew the coat, shopping for items to sew the coat, sewing the coat, etc. as entertainment! It seems to me that, if you divide the £200 by those hours, it was good value. Plus, as you point out, it kept you out of the pub. (It may also have saved gasoline and driving costs — I don’t know how far away you live from your favorite bar.) And remember that this was a custom garment, not off-the-rack.

15. Elizabeth says:

Definitely worth it in my book. You are spending time doing something you love. You learned a ton. You are wearing a gorgeous coat that YOU MADE YOURSELF!!! That’s priceless. Having made two coats myself, I can tell you that I love both of them so much and am so proud for making them. People are always shocked when they find out I made them myself. Did i save money on them? I don’t know actually since I didn’t keep track of the expenses, but do i think it was worth it? Definitely! And they fit me perfectly. Can you say that about RTW?

16. Abby says:

I think there are absolutely times when it’s a good idea to buy something from a store, but a coat like that… Probably not. I bought a gorgeous wool coat last year for quite a hefty sum, and I regret it every time I put it on. It’s white (because the colors of ready-made coats are pretty limited), it’s too big in the shoulders, and it pulls around the hips. I’d happily pay the same amount and spend months of sewing to get a gorgeous coat in a color I love that fits me from shoulders to knees. So in my humble opinion, you’ve come out of this having learned a ton and with a coat that fits like something from a store never will. Totally worth it!

17. Clare says:

I’d say absolutely worth it because you have made the coat you wanted. Or even if it wasn’t the ultimate coat of your dreams, you’ve still made a fantastic cashmere coat and have the knowledge that you can make another one if you want to. My first coat was nowhere near perfect but finishing it and it looking half decent gave me the confidence to use the pattern again a couple of years later. Hobbs do some gorgeous coats (there’s one in the sale that I keep checking on…) but you could easily end up standing within metres of someone else wearing ‘your’ expensive Hobbs / Jigsaw / Reiss woollen coat. I bet it’s been nice and cosy in this cold weather!

18. CGCouture says:

Absolutely worth it! I’ve decided that you can’t use strictly “clothing” or “wardrobe” when you are budgeting this out. Your budget surely includes entertainment, right? And I consider my hobbies entertainment as well as wardrobe. When you spread the cost out that way, it comes in a lot cheaper and makes it easier to swallow. And like others have said, you’d really have to compare this coat to a tailored one, not an overlooked sale rack special, because it IS tailored–by you to your measurements.

19. Rebecca says:

Absolutely worth it. You have a coat in the colour you want, in the quality you want AND it fits you perfectly! How many times do you go to a sale and find that the colour you really want is sold out in your size so you get black (boring) or they have the right colour but its a bit too tight around the waist but the next size up is too big across the shoulders, or the colour and the fit are nice but the fabric has a bit of a shine and looks cheap, or everything is good except the belt is missing, or ………….whatever. Yours is perfect. Made exactly to your specifications and as a bonus, now you’ve done it once think how much easier it will be next time!

20. Ready to wear is never as well made as handmade, either in construction or materials. Time will tell on this.
    You’d never be able to buy something that exactly matched your vision.
    And its a fun hobby. How much do other people pay to keep themselves amused? And they don’t even have a coat to show for it at the end!

21. Pearl says:

Karen,
    Yes, it was definitely worth it!!!
    I’ll give you a real-world example. Earlier last year, I bought 3 metres of a beautiful red wool for a coat. For various reasons, I ended up taking the fabric to a tailor to get it made. The tailor charged me $692.00 Cdn (about 443.00 sterling). And…I have to sew all the buttons on again as they are coming loose, and there’s a hole in one of the pockets!

Could I have made the coat myself? Absolutely – although they are rusty, I have the skills. I also would have had the satisfaction of proving to myself that I can pull off a large project like a coat. Right now, I have a coat that is no better than what I could get off the rack at a dept store (although I will admit the fit is very good).

I’ve decided to make myself a spring coat; just have to find the fabric.

Pearl in (snowy!) Vancouver

22. KristenMakes says:

I think a year from now, when the hours and heartache and madness are forgotten, and you still have this lovely, perfectly fitting and unique coat, the question ‘was it worth it?’ will be very easy to answer 😉

23. Leah says:

I find that I cant compare my handmade things to shop bought clothes, because I have never seen anything EXACTLY the same as something I have made. I also put allot of value on it being individual and being able to say I made it myself! and in that respect handmade clothes are priceless!
    I have a list of things I won’t sew, either because I find them too tedious, because I don’t think my sewing is up to it or because they come out of the wash looking like a crumpled mess. Coats, jackets and shirts are at the top of that list.
    I do think you should be comparing it to a tailor made coat and that makes your make allot cheaper to make it yourself.
    But in the end all that matters is whether you prefer your coat to a shop bought one, i would defiantly prefer yours!

Leahx

24. I still reckon that wool was better quality than in the shops, when they say Cashmere it’s usually a cashmere mix. Anyway this is about you loving sewing and continuing to push yourself! Mix it up I say. Sometimes there is stuff in ready to wear that is really nice and probably not fun to make so meh, buy it.I mean chiffon? now that would be a total ball ache to sew I reckon…

• Very good point about the cashmere mix. My favourite moment was seeing a ‘cashmere’ coat on Walthamstow market for about £15. ‘Yeah, right,’ I thought.

• Sarah says:

LOL!! maybe they meant it passed by some cashmere whilst being transported so it got ideas above it’s station! Good yarn costs a bomb, but it’s so rare you find like 100% alpaca or cashmere in the shops…they usually add in 50% something acrylic. Definately get better materials crafting.

25. thornberry says:

You enjoyed making it, so it was absolutely worth it. I know that with many of the items that I sew or crochet, I could often buy an equivalent item more cheaply (although not always). But I don’t sew and crochet to save money. I do it because I love it. It’s my hobby and entertainment and it occupies my thoughts, stretches my skills, and I put a bit of me into every stitch. I’m always rather pleased when I do save money on what I make, but that is completely secondary to why I sew and crochet. The things I buy at the shops are things that I don’t enjoy sewing or find more difficult to get a good fit so prefer to try before I buy (usually plain t-shirts, jeans etc).

26. Lena says:

Custom made garments can not be priced in a conventional way 🙂 Some clothes I have made for myself I’d never be able to sell because labour cost would make the price astronomical! lol

27. susew says:

Think of what you learned, even though parts of it were agony. Don’t you get a thrill when people comment on your coat and you can say “Thank you and I made it”

28. Joanne says:

As soon as I saw this I knew I had to comment, The answer is indisputably, resolutely, 100% for sure YES. You have a totally unique, beautifully made coat. You cannot buy that for £150 or even £300. Be absolutely reassured 🙂 You ARE worth it! And so is the coat!

29. Joanne says:

My husband has just looked over my shoulder while I was commenting and said ‘let’s see the coat then’. So I showed him it and he says by ‘god woman yes it’s worth it!’. So there. x

30. Debi says:

Totally worth it when you’ll be having 26 ladies from across the UK swooning over your coat in Bonnie ol’ Scotland!!! Coat: £128.76; Sewing community memories: priceless

31. laura says:

I think the real question is: would you do it again?

Regarding price: I always consider what my time is worth when I start thinking I could make something nice I see cheaper – it really puts things into perspective. Thinking we’re making things cheaper is simply untrue – most of us fail to add up everything that goes into a make.

Despite my previous paragraph, consider this: all of us hobbyists make clothes as a labour of love. Making this coat will give you something RTW never will, no matter how cheap it is: the experience and the things you learnt (including lessons, besides the new skills) and the pure pleasure of making something you can wear. Something that is UNIQUE. Why else would you do it? Another way to see this is: would you put the hours you spent on the coat into working at your day job to offset the price of the RTW version? I’d be willing to bet the answer is “no”.

So to sum up: yes it was worth it. Totally worth it.

32. MrsC says:

Should probably have read the other comments in case I’m repeating something but no time! Like everything in life, sewing is about the Value Equation. Cost + fit + quality + unique self expression + satisfaction would be mine.
    So, cost is only one factor. And what you have learnt making it will inform other projects, maybe even have you tackle horrendously expensive fabrics!
    A cashmere coat made by a tailor here is about $1600NZ (about 750GBP) so to me it is a brilliant bargain 🙂

33. One Hundred And Thirty Quid for a one off, made to measure, no-one else has coat – bargain!. As a sewist I can probably buy the same pattern (I say “probably” because I can’t remember if it’s a current or OOP pattern) and I could maybe buy the same fabric – IIRC it came from a US shop while you were over there. The chances of your actual coat existing elsewhere in the world is so close to zero that it becomes quantum :).

You have a one-off coat – wear it and love it – that’s the point of sewing for yourself. Cost – PAH!! If you didn’t go into debt for the fabric – then the cost is irrelevant.

34. Experience is definitely worth it! Plus, it is made for *you* – no one else in the world! 🙂

35. Lydia says:

I often have this conversation with my mother — I tell her I am sewing something, and she says she saw a skirt or dress for less or on sale at the store. I point out that sewing is an interest — a challenge, and not a way of saving money.

However, I do like buying clothes as welll, and lately I have wanted to purchase clothes more than sew them. I have been grappling with ‘sewing guilt’ until I came to the realization that I want to sew what I cannot buy — or a better version of something in a colour, fabric, pattern, detail, or shape than what I can purchase in the store. I have been pondering buying existing plainer clothes and adding sleeves, or lace and embellishing them, but have not gotten into that at the moment.

I think if you enjoyed the experience of making your beautifulll coat– challenges, hair tearing moments and all — that is what counts with any interest or hobby. In my dance class for example, (another hobby) I love to do the easier routines, but challenge is still ‘good’ for me at times. Though hobbies and interests require some level of dedication and discipline, when they become ‘chores’ I beleive it is important to take a step back (for this is making an easy, but fun skirt, or doing a dance routine at home, rather than going to class on a snowy icy night). Sorry to ramble — a good discussion topic though.

36. Felicity from Down Under says:

Yes, of course it’s worth having paid such a small sum for a tailor-made, one-off overcoat. We’ve discussed before that we don’t factor in labour costs. Even if you did, my feeling is that you’d still be in front because of the quality of the end product. So what if a couple of your lining seams don’t quite align as they should (what a thorough tutor!)? Have you ever really looked at RTW overcoats with that in mind? And as has been said, you should be comparing tailor-made not RTW. I don’t doubt it was a lot of hard, hert-breaking work, but the satisfaction quota must surely be logarithmic. You wouldn’t get that with any RTW overcoat. Something wouldn’t be quite right. And it wouldn’t be that wonderful colour brightening up the London Underground.

37. Carolyn says:

I think if you love your new coat, and you really enjoyed the experience of making it, then definitely the experience was worth it! Often we don’t take into account the fun factor, and feelings of immense satisfaction; that come with successfully tailoring a beautiful garment; into the final “cost” of a garment.
    And it is beautiful! (and thanks for your sweet comment too, btw!)

38. amberelayne says:

I love reading your blog and love when I get emails with your latest posts. You amaze me with your projects, abilities, etc etc!

Yes you could have bought a more inexpensive RTW jacket but the non-monetary worth of the one you made is priceless. I love it when I get compliments on clothing I’ve made and I don’t doubt that you’re any different… Did you make that???? Yes!

An another point, did you, when scoping out the RTW, by chance see a beautiful blue wool, with a princess waist, gorgeous collar and cover buttons sitting in their welted buttonholes for less? Hmmmm….. 🙂 I doubt it!

And my final bit of thought provoking teasing, how much trouble could you have gotten into if you didn’t have this beautiful jacket to occupy your time?

39. a red ham says:

I love the coat, and have to agree with everyone else and say that all your effort & expense was definately worth it. Some things you just can’t put a straight forward cost on. You will love and enjoy wearing that coat for many years to come and you know that the quality is second to none!
    Well Done I say. I just wish I could sew garments like you.

40. jenny says:

Yes you could have got ‘A’ coat in the sale but not THAT coat. Your coat is the colour, fabric and style of your choice and it is also tailor made and fits like a dream. The chances of you getting a genuine ‘like for like’ coat in the sale is unlikely. You also have something you can’t buy – the knowledge that the coat was made by you and is unique!

41. Camilla says:

You can’t put a price on the skills you’ve learnt and the sense of achievement you’ll have got from making such a complex item. Sewing isn’t really a money saving exercise for me. When I think of all the money I’ve spent to date on sewing lessons, patterns, cloth and notions and the time taken to make an item, RTW will always win hands down. But nothing beats the buzz of actually making something and saying ‘yeah I made this!’. I also love seeing a garment come together, something you don’t get when handing your cash over the counter. I’m trying to buy less and make more, though I tend to loose my will power in the sales.

42. Roobeedoo says:

I’m going to write what I think before I read what everyone else said!
    I think if you value process-driven rather than product-driven stitching, the financial cost is secondary.
    Personally, I do not have the confidence to lay out triple figures for a single item of clothing, either RTW or for materials. But I recognise that this is probably short-sighted of me and that an “expensive” coat might last me much longer than a “cheap” one.
    And it’s about lifestyle too. You live in a cosmopolitan environment where a “fancy” coat will not be seen as inappropriate. If I made a coat like that it would sit in my wardrobe waiting for weddings and funerals.
    Wear it with pride! You have done an amazing job! It is unique and it is absolutely worth more than a Hobbs coat – what would a made-to-measure coat cost on Saville Row? That is the thing to measure it against!

43. Marie says:

I have no problem slapping my money down on a shop counter on occassion, but in this case Karen, I think your coat was worth every penny and ounce of work you put into it. You’ve learned (and generously shared) so many new skills and techniques that will be invaluable to you for future projects. And you’ve created something beautiful and unique which you can be proud of for years to come. It’s not always all about the money, I think this time the experience you’ve had trumps all that. I hope you feel that way too!

44. Excellent points made by everyone. And I’d bet you’d pay more than £120 for a coat tailoring evening course that included free cashmere wool! I also think a successful project like your coat imbues your wardrobe with more meaning. Wearing something you made and are proud of feels different to me than wearing something I bought. It gives me an extra boost when I’m walking around. It’s like mental slinky underwear, something secret for you to appreciate. Or reveal to appreciative audiences 🙂

45. It was absolutely worth it and now it’s part of your repertoire! You’ll put all of your newly acquired knowledge and skills to use in new projects.
    I am empathetic to your situation having done the same thing with a sweater / top I recently made, but probably like your coat, people are astounded when they learned I made it –
    ” Did you MAKE that???!!!! “

46. mooncalfmakes says:

Coming at it from a knitting angle I forget that anyone thinks you might save money making things yourself. Knitting things is almost always more expensive than buying High Street. But I never thing of the cost of materials as a ‘Clothing’ expense. In my mind it is an ‘Entertainment’ expense for the hours of pleasure I get pursuing my hobby.

The ‘free’ clothes I get at the end are just a bonus 🙂

47. It’s definitely worth it! 😀 It fits you just right, which RTW rarely does. You got to choose exactly the materials for it, from that delicious cashmere down to the buttons. You’re never going to run into anyone else wearing the same thing. You got learn tons and practice a hobby you love. And, best of all, you get to enjoy that wonderful, lovey feeling whenever you see it, pet it, put it on, get a compliment on it, etc.

48. leahfranqui says:

Here is the thing about Ready To Wear. Number one, we don’t actually pay the true price, just like we don’t pay the true price of gas or tomatoes. As long as labor isn’t appropriately compensated and environmental factors continue to be ignored, that 10 dollar top is really being paid for in child-labor, sweatshop labor, and future environmental issues. So sure, you might find a “cheaper” coat in a store, but in reality, you making this coat represents the true labor involved in constructing clothing. What’s more, this is a hand tailored piece of clothing that you made according to your body and your needs, and it’s something literally no one else in the world owns. It’s art. It’s couture, in it’s truest sense. I was watching House of Elliot the other day and it’s struck me how much of everything was done by hand. You are part of an ages old tradition of making one piece of beautiful and long lasting clothing just for one person, and that’s fantastic and worth it.

Everyone is so correct who has commented thus far. You can’t compare this to Ready To Wear. The most comparable thing would be a couture garment. In which case, this is a steal. Take that, Gucci.

Plus. It’s fabulous. Can we really put a price on beauty?

strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

49. I had this conversation with some friends who don’t sew. Years ago used to be about saving money (for those who could do it themselves), but also having a tailor-made garment (wealthier people used to have their dresses made by a tailor). If you want something cheap, you can easily find it at H&M, Target or Zara. Clothes are often well-made because there is an industrial process behind with the proper machinery. If you want a very expensive/quality garment you often have to pay more than what you did on your coat. But even if it was cheaper…sewing is something you like…it’s like asking if it’s worth spending a 100 euros on a dinner in a fancy restaurant where you are paying for the experience rather than the actual food (no matter how good the ingredients are!)
    By the way…I ordered the Vogue pattern that I discovered thanks to you! Can’t wait to make a coat with it. Thanks for sharing all your learning

50. Pingback: Can you save money sewing? « Yes I Like That