Crafters’ Ceilidh – Edinburgh Excitement

The day started bright and early. Well, early and dark. Like, pre-dawn. No matter – I was off to have loads of Edinburgh Excitement and my adrenaline levels were sky high. I hadn’t been this excited since childhood Christmases.

At Gatwick security, I was braced for the usual round of questions:

‘Did you make this coat yourself? Did you have any help making this coat?’

No such luck. They didn’t even question the penny weight in the hem! Not a single person asked me about my crochet, even when I brandished my rosewood hook in the cabin and started crocheting! I waited for a flight attendant to throw herself into a roll across the aisle and wrestle the offending item out of my grasp. Instead, she asked if I wanted coffee. Most disappointing.

No matter. Soon enough I was in Edinburgh. Bags unceremoniously dumped at the hotel, I ran out to meet my friends and strangers-I-already-knew-I’d-like at Frederick’s Coffee House. I pretty much flung myself into the arms of Roobeedoo, who’s been a blog friend for ages, though we’ve never met. Scruffy Badger suffered a fierce hug, also. Meanwhile, Kestrel Finds & Makes was doing a sterling job of organising us all, along with My Happy Sewing Place and Kristen Makes.

Kestrel organising House of Pinheiro

I really enjoyed meeting House of Pinheiro. At the fabric and pattern swap, she had the most hilarious way of dismissing an item with a roll of her eyes and a dismissive flick of the wrist as she tossed an item back on the table. I don’t think so, darling. I love you, House of Pinheiro! (NB Ask Scruffy Badger what patterns she took away with her – ask, ask!)

Not only did we each receive a name badge, but a darling fabric brooch that our three valiant organisers had made, working through the night no doubt by candle light:

The brooches were so pretty! Here’s me wearing mine with Scruffy Badger:

The best decision I made all day was to eschew salad for lunch in favour of carbs. We were going to be using up every last scrap of energy over the next nine hours! First up, a group photo call in Edinburgh gardens, with our valiant photographer David aka Debi’s husband aka Most Glorious Honorary Sewist:

Unfortunately for David, some of us were getting over-excited (again) taking our own snaps:

Three of the finest women to walk Edinburgh streets: Roobeedoo, Scruffy Badger and Kestrel Finds & Makes.

Look! Scruffy Badger is wearing my snood and carrying one of the bags I made and gave away at the Fabric Fandango! We’ve agreed that from now on, I’ll accessorize her for all occasions.

Group photos taken (I can’t WAIT to see the official shot), we started the serious business of shopping. We stopped by W Armstrong & Son vintage store:

Then we took in a knitting shop (drool) and three fabric stores. Buses were involved. So was walking. Highlights of the day for me:

• Lazy Stitching‘s several, ahem, wardrobe malfunctions. (Top tip – don’t wear half circle skirts in windy Scotland!)
  • Admiring Roobeedoo’s cheekbones. She has bone structure to die for.
  • The hilarity of the pattern swap. Uniform fashion, anyone?
  • Drooling over the Miss Marple Cape Kestrel Finds & Makes was wearing. The perfect union of pattern and fabric.
  • Discussions of bodice darts and things looking a bit ‘nippley’.
  • Seeing a Sewist collapse on the floor, so exhausted from shopping was she!

Can’t. Shop. Any. More…

Fabric was bought – oh, yes! (More on that later.) Patterns were swapped. (More on that later.) Finally, we retired to the Voodoo Lounge. Soon enough, with food and wine in my belly, my tired limbs were aching for bed. I retired, fairly confident that the youngsters in the group were settling in for a night of fun. Ah, youth!

Now I have nothing left to do other than laze around, stroking my fabrics. I might poke my head out of the door to wander up to the castle at some point. Then I’ll wind my way home.

This has been the best organised meet-up EVAHHH!!! Thank you so, so much to our organisers. I really enjoyed seeing friends new and old, chatting to people, shopping, laughing. My one regret is that Dibs and the Machine was unable to join us because of illness. Next time, Dibs! And there will be a next time…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Crafters’ Ceilidh – Edinburgh Excitement

1. Dibs says:

Rachel (House of Pinheiro is hilarious isn’t she?). She cracks me up all the time. OMG, people collapsing on the floor? hahahahahhaa. Can the next time be in the summer? That way I shall abandon Master Noah with Mr.Dibs and run all the way to scotland……Mother of the Year Award I know I shan’t be having.

2. Roobeedoo says:

Yay! What a day it was! I look forward to seeing what you got in the swap! I left my patterns in Kestrel’s care – I hope someone took them.
    OMG – that is what my careers teacher said about me: “You have good bone structure”… but she had no advice to offer on my future vocation!

3. Claire says:

For some reason I was a bit wary of joining yeaterday’s fun even though I follow all of the blogs mentioned, maybe thought I’d feel out of my sewing depth! Anyway, stayed in and worked on my peony knowing I must be missing out on a lot of fun! I popped into edinburgh fabrics (fitting diasters…) and you all must’ve already been, the shop assistants were discussing how they’d like a crafter’s ceilidh to be organised every week!

4. Jane says:

Sob sob sob, I knew it would be good, I’m gutted not to have been there. Next time, definitely next time. I’d have paid good money to see Roobeedoo’s cheekbones, they’re something I’ve never possessed! Can’t wait to see your fabrics and patterns. x

5. Kerry says:

What a day! I had a brilliant time. Thanks again for my lovely fabric and lace πŸ™‚

For my part, I was in awe of your beautiful coat. The cashmere is so soft – how do you ever bear to take it off?!

6. How fun! Have a lovely, creative, and productive time!

7. Debi says:

What a FABULOUS day! I had so much fun and the pattern swap was hilarious…it’s so great to share sewing humour with everyone πŸ™‚ Hope you had a good trip home!

8. laura says:

You guys look like you had a great time. I’ll work up the courage to join for the next one πŸ™‚ I spent my day doing… nothing much πŸ™‚

9. Suzanne says:

How much fun! What is the name of the shop where you took the photo of all the hats? I am so jealous! (on a side note: My quilt coat that was the subject of one of your posts has been donated to charity…I live in a small community and keep hoping I will see it around the neighborhood)

10. Karen, great write up! What can I say?!It was just TOO much fun. The organisers were awesome, the agenda was every sewist’s dream, & yes, both Rachels made me laugh. Most of all it was so fine to meet my online friends in real life & make some new ones. πŸ™‚

11. sandra says:

Ah, sounds like so much fun! But the real question is, how on earth did you get a crochet hook onto the plane?! Every time I ask if I can take mine (and I do, every time) they look at me as if I’m mad! x

12. Great summary! It was really great to meet you, definitely picked up lots of energy for diving into the next sewing project and challenging myself to making something a bit more complicated and hopefully a bit less ‘nippley’!

13. Sheryl says:

Wish I’d been there too! Maybe next time xx

14. gingermakes says:

Oh man, looks like a great trip! Come back to NYC! Would love to meet you ladies!!

15. Tilly says:

Aww… this report had me grinning from ear to ear, enjoying the fun vicariously. Sounds like you had SUCH a lovely time. xx

16. Pingback: 24-hour-sewing-knitting-crafting-party-people (Edinburgh edition) | | Scruffy Badger TimeScruffy Badger Time

17. dlgrant422 says:

What a great post!
    I’m so glad you all had such a good time together! Debi’s been very excited about it for weeks.

I loved the photo you posted of me as photographer – and thanks for the shout-out. I’m sorry I couldn’t join you all – I’m in the thick of essays and a dissertation. I hope to be more involved the next time – it was great to see all of you together!

Haste ye back!
    David

18. Kristen says:

What a great day indeed, and what a great write-up! I was so pleased to meet you, thank you so much for coming. What fun!!!

19. looks fab! ooo rosewood crochet hook now there’s an idea…

20. Marie says:

The word ‘gutted’ doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel about not being able to attend this fabulous-sounding event! What a way to kick-start the year! Can’t wait to see your fabric and pattern finds!

21. Felicity from Down Under says:

Only the fact that we’re finally getting some warm weather here – and therefore, I’m not cold nor having to wear six layers to prevent myself from being cold! – prevents me from being heartbroken and jealous at missing such a (chilly, winter, needing lots of layers) get-together. What an amazing time you must have had and I, like everyone else, am eager to see the fabric and patterns and finished products from same.

22. Sounds like it was a great day! Wish I could have made it but maybe next time…

23. Pingback: Crafters’ Ceilidh – I’m Exhausted! « The Apocalypse Bakery…because the end is pie.

24. lazystitcher says:

You’ll be happy to know Kerry caught a shot of the wardrobe malfunction in action! πŸ˜‰

25. LinB says:

What a lovely posting — as are those of all you other sweet young things whom I regularly follow. I’m taking my miniature saltire flag out of the pencil jar (souvenir from daughter who went on pilgrimage to Iona last summer) and waving it in a salute to your Day O’ Fun.

26. Absolutely LOVE meeting you in person. We all looked like a reunion of long lost friends. And indeed its what i feel about it.. that I made great friendships I hope to continue to grow….
    xx

27. Wow, that sounds like a fantastic trip! I’m still amazed you made it on a plane with a crochet hook, though!

28. lorna says:

Oh, it sounds like you all had a fantastic time. I’m coming next time! I don’t have a blog but I read yours (and some of the others’) all the time, y’all feel like old friends. Am kicking myself for staying at home, considering I’m only 35 miles away from Auld Reekie… next time, next time!

29. Pingback: V1247 – Leather And Wool Skirt | Did You Make That?