Topping Top Shop

Have you seen what Top Shop is selling for £38 a pop? I think we can do better than that, don’t you, with the help of the Colette Sewing Handbook and the Meringue Skirt pattern.

Though I do like the idea of using boucle… Okay, I’ll give you that Top Shop – excellent fabric choice.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Topping Top Shop

1. Stevie says:

Hah! Thats not the first version i’ve seen of the Meringue! Anthropologie have a version with scallops all the way down for £90!

2. Dibs says:

hahahahahaha. Do you think someone at Topshop reads sewing blogs?

3. tabathatweedie says:

No way! I feel very smug about my black version now which cost me less than a tenner!

4. Karen says:

Fantastic spot you hawkeye! I’ve just finished my Meringue in the sew-a-long – you’ve made my day.

5. Pingback: Sew Colette: The Meringue Skirt « Thread Carefully

6. Joanne says:

That’s amazing! I like the A-line style – wonder if that’s doable with the meringue as I’m not keen on the straight fit.

7. Marie says:

Haha, in your face big high street shops! I do often love the styles in Topshop to be fair, but it’s great to be able to create your own where you can control the hem length, colour choice, fabric type etc. The Meringue is now being promoted to my Top 5 ‘need-to-make’ items, so I can be bang on trend ;o)

8. Kerry says:

Interesting – I saw a mini skirt with a scallope edge in Monsoon yesterday too.

9. Rachel says:

Well now I’m breakin my self imposed new fabric ban. I MUST make this.

10. gingermakes says:

£38?! I wouldn’t even spend $38 on that! Yikes! Love it when sewing is actually a great deal. 🙂

11. Pearl says:

Karen,
    Aren’t you glad you can sew! 🙂

I like the idea of the skirt; however, the workmanship leaves something to be desired (those scallops look horrible!).

I might have to copy it – I’ve got an A-line skirt pattern I can play around with 🙂

Look forward to seeing your version!

Pearl in Vancouver

12. Clare says:

I saw this today and chuckled to myself – they’ve blatantly ripped off the Meringue!

13. Roobeedoo says:

They are everywhere! Scallop shorts are huge at ASOS… And Wrap catalogue is scalloping dresses and t shirts for SS 2012. Must be the jolly old zeitgeist – SNORT!

14. Nikki says:

Well I know what to do when my almost 14 yr old daughter wants to follow the trend of scalloped hem skirts and it certainly won’t cost me £38!! Maybe I should make mine sooner rather than later!

15. Pamela says:

I agree with Pearl, even humble beginner sewer me can see that the waistband hasn’t been PFFed before carrying on with construction!
    We can certainly do much better than that!