Lush!

So, what did I carry home from Edinburgh in my carry on case? Oh, Scotland, you’ll be the death of me! I have a huge weakness for wool fabric. It’s just so wonderful to work with, always looks incredibly classy and doesn’t often fray. What’s not to like? Ask my bank manager! In fact, I was relatively restrained in my spending, but I’d arrived in Scotland – home of wool – with a make already in my mind. I’d seen this retailing at Jaegar:

I think the simplicity of the cut, combined with that huge, slightly eccentric patch pocket is inspired. £230-worth of inspired, or £65 in the sale. Nah, mate. I don’t think so! In Edinburgh I bought a metre of dark navy wool for the skirt and a smidgin (I think an eighth of a metre) of complementary, expensive Harris Tweed. (Have you SEEN Gertie’s latest dress in Harris Tweed?)

My hope is to use my vintage A-line skirt pattern to cut an above-the-knee skirt and fashion my own high end patch pocket. Any advice on tailoring patch pockets, let me know.

I also bought two metres of stretch lining, which I’d never seen before or even heard of. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I shamelessly copied Scruffy Badger who was buying this.) I imagine this to be perfect for lining pencil skirts. You know how the lining can really pull at the seams on a pencil skirt? Not with a bit of stretch in it!

In the pattern swap, I scored two vintage patterns from My Happy Sewing Place. I felt a bit guilty taking these, but no one else seemed to be leaping on them. (Fools!) If I do have an ambition for this year, it’s to sew a bit more vintage. I’ve only used two vintage patterns so far in my sewing career, and one of those is for an A-line skirt – I don’t think that counts!

Finally, in other purchases, look what arrived today:

Yes I Like That shared a post on Galibardy recently, and I was straight on Paypal ordering one of these rings. It’s absolutely lovely. Brass! Why don’t we see more shiny brass these days? I’m not sure I’m ever going to take this off.

Hope you’re all gearing up to exciting weekends. Me? I have the day off work today. (LUSH, as they say in Wales.) There might be a spot of sewing going on…

24 Responses to Lush!

1. Suzie says:

Ooo – so much to love in this post. The skirt is a fantastic design, can’t wait to see your take on it, in lovely navy blue wool.
    And those vintage patterns look brilliant!
    AND, so jealous of your Galibardy purchase. I have been drooling over those for a loooong time!

2. yesilikethat says:

The ring looks so cute in your photo! Even better than on their website! My post was a way to try and persuade others to buy it so I could live vicariously, I’m glad my cunning plan has worked. Really wanted to order one but sadly my spare money this week has all gone to various plumbers. Maybe they will spend it on sewing-themed jewellery.

3. Ohhh… I’m most jealous of your lush acquisitions Karen!
    And your “Nah, mate. I don’t think so!” made me LOL, clearly someone’s been living in London long enough to pick up the lingo 😉 I so heard that inside my head said in a East London twang (hehehe).

4. shivani says:

that ring is fantastic! looking forward to seeing how you get on with the vintage patterns.

5. Ha! I read the title and immediately thought soap. We may have bonded over Honey I Washed the Kids or Angels on Bareskin. But I’d rather look at vintage patterns.
    Lovely choices. That skirt is pretty cool. It would never occur to me to do that on my own, but seeing the product for sale certainly is inspiring.
    I LOVE the dress on the left. I would have been eyeing that myself.

6. Jane says:

You could easily make your version of the Jaguar skirt – it will look gorgeous in navy wool with a smidgen of Harris Tweed. And yes, I have seen Gertie’s dress. Absolutely jaw droopingly perfect. x

7. Mmmm, wool. I love the smell when you press it.

8. Miriana says:

I see that Dick van Dyke is back in town.

9. leahfranqui says:

I love wool. Wool and I could totally get married and live the rest of our days happy and warm and not fraying. It would be the best. But they don’t let you marry fabric in the States (Thanks a lot, Puritans!) so I am content to love it only as a material. It’s hard, but that’s life. That skirt is going to look tops, absolutely stellar. The patch pocket shouldn’t be too tough, I feel like it’s going to be a bit of hand basting and then hand stitching but after your coat that should be easy peasy.

I learned that usage of Lush from Gavin and Stacy. They say it every six seconds.

10. Elizabeth says:

What a divine idea! I love the inspiration skirt and your fabrics are delish. Can’t wait to see your version!

11. Ceri says:

Lush, lol, one of my most-used words. So Karen what have you got planned for your up-coming birthday? I am having a big meet-up in Cardiff with a gaggle of my girly friends on the Saturday beforehand for a few cheeky drinks and spot of fine dining. Nothing actually planned for the 14th but my mother is taking my daughter to see Strictly Come Dancing Live on the 15th so I’ve told hubby we’re taking advantage of the situation and please could he take me to my favourite Thai restaurant. Result!
    Ceri, your cyber twin. x

12. MrsC says:

If one married fabric, then cut it up, would it be considered spousicide? 😉
    Yummy patterns. I am acquiring a few right now off an online sales site, one of which is so fabulous, I want to marry IT. Hopefully being vintage it will already be cut up and I won’t be arrested. Oh, except for bigamy. being married already.
    Life, law, it’s all so unimaginative! hehehe

13. Pearl says:

Nice skirt, Karen! Looking forward to your version. That Harris Tweed is divine.

I would marry wool as well if I could – but it would have to accept my occasional assignations with silk and linen…!

14. I am so insanely jealous of your apron pattern!!!! I want the short poofy sleeved apron! I was watching a 40’s movie this week and the wife had an apron like that! Awesome =)

15. poppykettle says:

That ring is gorgeous! So are the vintage lovelies. Can’t wait to see both in action 😉

16. Roobeedoo says:

Ooh ooh ooh – can’t wait to see the skirt!
    LOVE that ring too 🙂

17. CGCouture says:

Oooh pretties! Going to check out the ring now….

18. MrsC says:

Hi again, having a closer look, can I see a deep band around the hem in a slightly shinier texture? Interesting…

19. kazzthespazz says:

Phew! I didn’t get RSI in my wrist from scrolling to the bottom of the post to find the comment box this time, I’m getting in before the others turn up. THAT ring is the bee’s business I just purchased a necklace with a brass heart shaped tape measure, they have special powers you just watch 🙂

20. Shivani says:

Not sure if you’ve spotted it, but there’s a 5 minute video on threads: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/21996/teach-yourself-to-sew-2-patch-pockets – might be helpful? x

21. Michelle says:

Ooh! If you love the ring (I love the ring!), then you’d also love my necklance by Victoria Mason http://buttontreelane.blogspot.com/2010/02/variations-on-theme.html