The Snowflake Quilt

It’s rare to get snow in London and because of the urban heat it’s even more rare for it to settle. So we all get a bit over-excited. As a Northerner who spent her childhood in the back of a car negotiating twists and turns like the Snake Pass, I always find it hilarious-slash-terrifying to watch London drivers try to cope with this stuff. They really don’t know what they’re doing – eek.

So a day to stay at home. Sadly, not sewing – writing deadlines are becoming pressing. But I can at least entertain myself by gazing occassionally at my new chalk pencil, which I proclaimed one of the best things I’ve ever bought!

There’s been quite a lot of chalk debate recently, first on my blog post here and then over at Stitch and Witter’s posts about Fabric Marking. On the back of recommendations, I ordered this Signet Colour Kreideminen-Set from Sew Direct (free postage!).

Look at all those colours and refills! There’s an ickle sharpener! The chalk makes a really good, accurate line. Thanks to the people who recommended this.

Okay, nose to the grindstone time. See you later!

17 Responses to The Snowflake Quilt

1. ooobop! says:

A good day to stay in today methinks! I had the scariest cab journey home last night. ‘Strictly Come Driving’ would just about sum it up. I had a very confident Russian cab driver but I was terrified nonetheless! So I am staying put and I am so going to order me one of those chalk pens right now… thanks for the pointer!

2. Helen says:

I was on a sewing course on Friday and thr professional dressmaker teaching us recommended those pencils. She said they last forever too.

3. Tamsin says:

Good tip on the chalk pencil. My girls have already been out for 2 hours making a snowman. They came in about 5 min ago for hot chocolate….

4. Jane says:

One child is out sledging, one is being a wuss at home with me! In the meantime, I’ve just ordered those pencils… Thanks! x

5. Debi says:

Wow…rare for you guys to have snow and for us to be a balmy 5 degrees 🙂 Good luck with your deadlines!

6. I’m a big fan of the Chacopel pencils (as I mentioned in the previous thread), but I think I might have to order this marking set as well, for the extra colours.

7. jadestar says:

I have this set. It really is great. The trick is to make sure you keep the point nice and sharp. Know what you mean about the snow, although its starting to thaw slightly here in the midlands. Just trying to kepp warm, but I have my new Sewaholic patterns to keep me company 🙂

8. And here we are in New York having an unpredictably warm winter, it’s only snowed twice (once in October – weird!). In any case, I have this set too, though yours is packaged so much nicer than my Jo-Ann’s buy! Just make sure to test on scrap fabric on each project, some of these didn’t disappear with water as easily as I’d hoped. It is great to have so many choices!

9. Kerry says:

Just added the chalk pencil set to my list, so I can give my husband some tips for my birthday! 🙂

10. Amy says:

Yay for snow! That chalk set is AMAZING, didn’t know such wonders even EXISTED!

11. gingermakes says:

Ooh, I need that pencil set! Have fun in the snow!

12. The snowed-in pictures are cool, particularly the first one. We’re into summer down here in Oz and its not going too well thus far =P

13. shivani says:

I’m a big fan of that chalk pencil set – and was lucky to get it for bargain price with my Morely college discount at Morplan!

14. I have that chalk set – not used it yet though, I got mine at the Morplan shop (56 Great Titchfield Street London, W1W 7DF). Word of warning though folks – don’t do what I did when I got them home… I plonked the carrier bag down onto the floor too hard, and the impact (only from 30cm/12″ or so) caused many of the chalk “leads” to snap in several places – this means they won’t last so long inside the plastic pencil “holder” and will run out on me quicker (I’ll have lots of little stubby bits I can’t use *sighs*).

15. Janice says:

I use a chalk wheel pen hybrid, the Clover chaco liner. It has powdered chalk that’s refillable and makes really clean lines. No more dry hands from actually holding chalk!

16. Jenn says:

Thanks so much for the chalk set tip! I ordered it and it made it all the way to NZ completely intact. They were great to deal with and shipping was reasonable too. I love the set, even my husband was impressed.