The Time Traveller’s Strife

The prospect of an empty mid-week evening usually has me rubbing my hands together with glee. Just think of all that sewing I can get done!

But by the time I get home from work, and allow someone else to cook dinner, and lay the table, and eat and clear up and have a bit of a sit down, and feel tired and – oh, look, Masterchef is on – it’s creeping up towards 10pm and that is my time when I know I will be too tired to do anything sensible. The three-hour stretch of sewing I anticipated has become a snatched 45 minutes and, sigh, not much progress has been made.

Then I go to bed, get up, and do it all again and wonder if I will ever, ever beat the clock. I swear to god, someone is pushing the big hand forwards when I’m not looking…

Baby steps, baby steps…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Time Traveller’s Strife

1. sue says:

This is exactly how I feel too. There is just not enough time in the day, no matter how I try to adjust my schedule, it seems.

Why can’t I simply get paid to read sewing blogs, look at and categorize sewing/fashion inspiration on Pinterest, shop online for fabric/patterns, and SEW! I mean I think about these things like it’s my job…why cant it be! :-/

2. That is exactly what goes on in my house. Exactly. Although I’m usually the one making dinner.

3. LLADYBIRD says:

I hear ya – I get off work a good 2 hours before Landon does, so one would think I could catch up on some sewing. But then there’s cooking to do, and general daily cleaning, and I really should exercise… and then there goes my time šŸ™ Baby steps is all we got sometimes!

4. MrsC says:

We need one of those thingummyjigs Dumbledore gives Hermione to allow her to do double up classes. That would be cool!

5. Erin Cumming says:

Exactly the same process with me as well except add “fantasize about sewing all day”. I still try to squeeze out 45min at 9:30 at night. I pretend I’m on a Project Runway deadline and see how much I can get done. When my bobbin runs out of thread, I take it as a sign from the universe that I should go to bed.

6. Carly says:

YEP! Been there all right! Will be checking back here to see if anyone offers any magic tips!

7. Debi says:

I hear you! And when it’s busy at work I am just too tired by the time I get home to do anything productive!!!

8. Law says:

Oh yes, that is my life too! It’s so frustrating.

9. symondezyn says:

Ugh, I share your pain… three hours a day of commuting doesn’t leave much time in the evening, once everything is done and taken care of… sometimes I can muster up some extra energy to do something productive, but only if it’s not something too challenging LOL.

10. gingermakes says:

You know, I feel really bad about this same thing, but honestly, I don’t think that school nights are always the best for productivity. I’m often so shot by the time I get home from work that I make dumb mistakes if I try to sew (and I often prefer to knit rather than to sew so I can spend some time poor hubs, who usually gets ignored when I’m sewing). I’m not the most productive or prolific sewist, but I try to do it in spurts when I’m home alone.

11. poppykettle says:

Exactly. It’s a constant fighting battle. What IS that textured fabric? I’m stooped in curiosity…

12. Michelle says:

All day I work in a very stressful job, and all day I think “but tonight I’ll be able to relax and SEW” but by the time I get home, get changed, cook dinner and hold conversations with my husband (he likes a chat) the only sewing I get done is hand sewing in front of the evening news. And then I dream about work all night, rather than the perfect skirt, or quilts. Or nothing.

So I feel your pain.

13. Kerry says:

Oh I hear you! Sometimes I sew while my husband plays computer games, but I like to spend time with him in the evening too (we also watch Masterchef, I’m loving this current series – Eamon, boo hiss!). I pretty much always have Saturday to myself though, so count on being able to catch up on some sewing time then and think of it as a bonus if I manage any on weekday evenings.

14. Marie says:

Yep, this pretty much sums most of my evenings up…only I get to do the cooking too!

15. you see that’s why I am so knitting productive, you can watch Masterchef AND knit. In fact…..you can do pretty much most things & knit…

16. Sherry says:

And there are all these sewing blogs to catch up on these days too! I’m sure I spend more time online than actually sewing!

17. Felicity from Down Under says:

When we lived closer to where we worked (or vice versa, if you like) and we didn’t have TV and other distractions, I’m sure other obstacles contributed to that feeling of inadequacy. It does seem to be still a universal lament. I have no quick fixes. I don’t sew much. Or knit much. Or do anything much but go to work and come home again. Or I stay up very late trying to be productive which is, as you say, a recipe for disaster. So 45 minutes or so of whatever you can do before the wearies catch up sounds like enough baby steps to add up fairly quickly to visible progress. It’s only because we want everything done NOW, I think, that we’re so impatient with ourselves. Sorry, didn’t mean to preach, I’m just being a crosspatch because it’s been a hideously non-productive week here!

18. Roobeedoo says:

Are you spying on me?! Same here. But tonight is the night… I will forgo the opportunity to queue at Lidl with all the students, drive straight home, sling something in the oven with my fingers crossed and GET SEWING!
    And I can’t have a glass of wine because I have to pick up my daughter from town later… sos nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan… can it?

19. Funnily, I was just thinking how prolific you are and how on earth do you fit it all in?! That sums it up for me too, but also throw in an active 7 year old and evenings then disappear into charging between childminders and various clubs, sorting out uniforms etc (and I always do the cooking, and I travel nation wide for work…). Do I win …? Seriously, this is just the humdrum of modern life for women particularly. And I agree with whoever said that knitting is the answer as it allows multi tasking (wine, knitting, Masterchef) (train journeys, reading for work)….

20. Erika says:

Spot on! I keep thinking I can get at least 3 hours of sewing done after work, when years of experience begs the different. Maybe the trick is to downsize the expectations? If I count on sewing for one hour twice a week, that should be manageble, shouldn’t it? On the other hand, I’ve learned the hard way that pushing too hard all the day, every day is a recipe for disaster (not just for the sewing, but for life in general). If I don’t wear myself to the bones during work-week, odds are that my weekend-sewing will be more efficient, less mistake-prone and just more fun. My batteries needs to be re-charged once in a while…

21. LinB says:

At least we don’t have to chop wood to keep the stove going, and manage a garden and food preservation with glass jars in a pressure cooker, and buy ice each week for the literal ice box, etc. Electricity and indoor plumbing have made our lives easier than our grandmothers’ — at least, than my grandmothers’! This is a universal complaint, and a legitimate one. I feel your pain, Miz Karen.

22. It’s not just like that for me then. What is the answer? We all know what we want to do more of..

23. I have a giant roll of upholstery material sitting next to me, waiting patiently to be turned into curtains for the massage therapists who have their clinical space upstairs from our offices in the funky 100-year-old building my employer calls home. I sooo want to unroll & get started, but, alas, the To Do list is keeping me from it šŸ™

24. I know exactly what you mean. I’m contemplating taking a day off work next week just to sew!

25. I so identify with this. I’m at the office all day, have two little cabbages aged 3.5 and 6, a couple volunteer activities, a – gasp! – social life (however small and tame it maybe)… it all adds up to never enough time to sew. One of the reasons I’ve gotten back into knitting is that it is not only fun, but very portable and do-able in small snatches of time. But yesterday the Mr. took the little cabbages out for two hours and I was able to sew, undisturbed, the whole time. Woo-hoo!