Central Saint Martins – Week 7 In Pictures

I threw this together during last night’s class… No, I didn’t! The final year students are getting ready to share their toiles for marking, so they’re working like trojans. Isn’t this amazing? Knocks my Gertie Bombshell Dress out of the park in the va-va-voom stakes.

I’ve often been concerned that I simply don’t have the creative imagination to design anything on the back of my pattern making course. But it’s interesting to see how ideas start to form and you find an aesthetic. Apparently, I like curved lines. A lot.

Last night I dreamt about drafting a top I’ve sketched. I foolishly left the sketch out for my tutor to spot, which means I’ve had to chat about my ideas, which means I can’t pretend I’m not thinking about anything. But dreaming is my real litmus test. When I dream about a project, I know I’m getting seriously drawn in. Any tips for UK supplies of pattern drafting paper? At the very least, I’d like to knock something up in calico. I can always throw it in the bin afterwards.

Oh, and don’t be fooled by the evidence of hard work. Those pesky fashion students are still having far too good a time for my liking. This, spotted leaning against a classroom window:

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Central Saint Martins – Week 7 In Pictures

1. Hi Karen, So glad you’re enjoying your course so much 🙂
    For pattern drafting paper you can get it for around 50p/metre cut-off the roll at Z Butt’s fabric store in Brick Lane (if you fancy a trip round London that is!) Tel. them on 020 7247 7776 to check stock first though. Or try ‘Eastman Staples’ online this is their Dot & Cross 50gsm paper (36″ wide x 150m – Product Code: SBP36T) for £25.25, or their Plain Bondex 50gsm Paper (36″ wide x 250m – Product Code: CP5036). I have the roll of Dot and Cross at home (they call it spot + cross) and it’s plain on the other side – so the one roll acts like 2 types really. Their delivery is an extra £4.75.

2. Stevie says:

I use dot and cross which is what I learnt to use when I did pattern drafting. You can get it at fabricland but you really need a big roll of it!
    Glad your having fun, what a fab course to be on! x

3. Lizzie says:

I just use plain lining wallpaper for pattern drafting, it is a bit thick but the patterns are pretty sturdy and it’s something like £4 a roll

4. Felicity from Down Under says:

Fancy drafting paper? How very upmarket. We used to use brown paper in my day! Really, we did. It worked fine and you could get large sheets at reasonable prices. Butcher paper ditto, though I don’t recall using that. However, the transparency factor was somewhat, um, nonexistent. My paternal grandmother used to draft her patterns to newspaper, I’ve been told. Of course it wouldn’t do for anything delicate, but for working clothes it might be quite useful, I suppose. Horses for courses. Nice to know those students have a good sense of the ridiculous to keep them going when the going gets tough. And I am eagerly looking forward to seeing what your dream might be!

5. liza jane says:

I use a roll of postal paper (brown butcher paper, but heavy duty). Works great and I’m not worried if I screw something up. Exciting stuff!

6. Anne W says:

I use Eastman Staples for my drafting paper, I forget the code etc, very useful!! I paid about £70 for a roll of 300m, carriage was around £5. It is a bit of an investment, but I can use it for tracing off the Burda patterns too, which is helpful. I sell it in metres to my Sunday students, so it has been helpful to get that much, Alternatively you could share with someone else? Providing you can hack re-rolling 150m of paper…

7. sarah says:

I buy mine from Hab and Fab it’s £12.72 for a 20 metre roll. I think it’s called it dot and cross paper on the website and can be found in the miscellaneous section. It’s lasted me over a year plus I’ve used it for tracing as well as drafting.
    I have used baking paper too, and old gift wrap (desperate times call for desperate measures haha) but I prefer dot and cross (or spot and cross as I call it) for accurate drafting.
    ^^ My Grandmother also used newspaper too, but I Haven’t got that desperate….. yet!

8. symondezyn says:

I would LOOOOVE to take a drafting class… that pic inspires me so much, I love seeing plain muslin draped and pinned and starting to take shape… it reminds me of my rough sketches for a painting; rough and dirty but raw creative and hinting at the masterpiece it is destined to become! So exciting!!

I haven’t drafted my own patterns yet but what I do is buy a roll of tracing paper from a local art store and use that to trace my commercial patterns so I can do adjustments on them. It’s cheaper than pattern drafting paper, though I’ve bought that too, as well as dotted interfacing 🙂

9. I got a roll of what was called tracing paper from Morplan. It’s just transparent enough to trace patterns but not what I think of as tracing paper; it works ok for drafting. It was about 50ukp for 300m and they delivered it. I use it all the time and have hardly made a dent in it!

10. Petra says:

Being Swedish, I was so surprised that rolls of sewing tracing paper (similar to tissue paper but more shiny and stronger) weren’t available as a cheap staple in every haberdashery shop. I guess the clue is that it’s called Swedish tracing paper… Gertie refers to it a lot. But after many hours of net hunting, I found this: http://www.gloriarty.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=60&osCsid=94l7tvs8t88685hpuur7qp7pttvortol
    It’s better than anything I’ve ever used, it’s amazing! Brilliant value too!

11. Carol Webster says:

Hi Karen I love watching your progress thru your course – you are so lucky! I buy spot and cross paper from ebay 48″wide and 150m long for £40 on ebay just type in numbered pattern drafting paper in the search and it should come up – carry on dreaming!

12. Thank you all for these great tips! Now, I just need to decide where to start…

13. I read some people use that thin paper/tissue you use to cover plants with. Apparently is very sturdy and nice to work with because you can even sew it up. I don’t know where you would find it in the UK.
    I use some thin yet sturdy paper I got through a nice lady in Italy (http://scuoladicucito.blogspot.com/2011/03/rotoli-di-carta-velina.html). I paid about 25 euros including shipping for a whole roll. I have had it for 2 years and I think it will last me even more. She managed to find someone who produced it for her and she bought several rolls for people who wanted it. Maybe this can give you some other ideas/options

14. Dilly says:

I second the recommendation for Morplan – http://www.morplan.com/Product_10053_10001_15098_-1_10767 (this is also what the tutors at the LCF recommend). It’s the perfect thickness for drafting as it’s slightly transparent, thin enough to fold and manipulate, but thick enough not to disintegrate.