Wood Street Market – E17 Extravaganza!

This is getting beyond a joke. To answer Tasia’s recent question, I can tell you exactly how close my nearest fabric store is. Ten minutes down the road, with more fabric than Project Runway can dream of, some of it as little as Β£1 a metre. But this really takes the biscuit. I mean, who decided to put the devil quite literally on my shoulder?

Two minutes away from my house is an indoor market. It’s a fascinating warren of record shops and second hand furniture, cake bakers and book sellers. But it has always been on the neglected side of vintage and creative. Until now. Someone’s only gone and made a significant investment in the market. They’ve only had the audacity to encourage local creatives to set up stall here. They might as well start printing T-shirts saying, ‘Lead Karen in here and empty her purse, please.’ or ‘No, really, Karen doesn’t have anything better to do than nose around all day.’

So I went and had a nose around, didn’t I? People, I have to pass this place to go and buy a pint of milk.

Forsaken Dreams

Forsaken Dreams were the first people I met. They were lovely and extremely welcoming. We chatted about the initiative at the market and I could see straight away that some very lovely people had moved into my hood. (Yes. I just wrote ‘hood’. I know how old I am, you don’t need to remind me.)

Next up was a visit with Galina Sherri, henceforth to be known as the woman I must avoid at all costs if I don’t want to buy up half her shop:

IF I was ever commissioning a book on all things vintage and IF I was organising a photoshoot and IF I needed a props supplier, I would be hammering down this woman’s door. She’s good. Very, very good. When I mentioned my love of cocktail rings, she whipped out a bejewelled vintage Christian Dior. I admired politely and declined. But, of course, she already knew she had me. I bought something else instead:

Just so much trash. Not!

I reluctantly bid goodbye to Galina and went to stroll around the rest of the market.

Craft Guerilla are already firmly established in East London and organised the Debbie Bliss talk I went to, but I’m really pleased to see that they’re now right on my doorstep.

Question. Why is this woman texting instead of sewing?

So, I thought I’d had an okay time. Then I turned the corner and saw this:

Β Anja Jane

Anja is an amazing artist, who also happens to live across the road from me. But she’d gone travelling. But now she was back, the proud owner of a space in the market. And I hadn’t seen her in over a year and – wheeeee! This was a total surprise and the icing on the cake. Anja hosted the first ever group sewing evening that I attended, blogged about here. Lots of lavender and wine was involved on a balmy summer evening – no wonder I fell in love with sewing.

Well, I don’t know what to say. I’m really not happy with this state of affairs.

Actually, I have two things left to say. Come on down to the market! And, um, I’m sick of dropping hints. When are you all gonna move to Walthamstow? Innit.

33 Responses to Wood Street Market – E17 Extravaganza!

1. Debi says:

Wow! When can I come? Seriously, this is Amazing! All these creative women!!

2. Rachel says:

You are disgustingly lucky. I am in total lust over that necklace with the 5 rhinestone (?) circles.

3. Joanne says:

Gasp! A quick National Rail query tells me this is only 40 mins from my home! I will be there within the month. I have been told by a number of peeps that Walthamstow is the place to move to and I have considered it. Maybe when we finally scrape a deposit together (sigh)…

4. Roobeedoo says:

Stop it.
    That’s all I have to say to you.
    STOP. IT.
    πŸ˜‰

5. Ooooh, I’ve been meaning to pop down there since it opened. Will definitely have to now I’ve seen some photos. Might have to leave my purse at home though by the looks of it!

6. Felicity from Down Under says:

It’s (probably) only the thought of the winter deters me from packing my bags

7. Hmmmm v. tempting wares indeed! I may have to include a quick visit to them on the itinerary for the Walthamstow Swap & Meet-Up that’s happening on Saturday of the Easter weekend at the start of April.

Their website woodstreetmarket.com/ shows their location.Q: Do you recall the name/location of the lovely pub you took us all to lunch at last February’s Walthamstow meet-up please Karen? I wanted to book it again for lunch this time around, as it had a really good space/nook at the back we could all get rowdy in LOL!.

Oh, and I reckon that lady was either texting for emergency thread re-stocking (maybe she’d run out?), or she was looking up a technique on the web. As, I cannot imagine any sewist to stop to text when there’s a perfectly good sewing machine waiting to be used not inches from her fingertips!!!

8. Laura says:

It’s always so crazy reading your posts about Walthamstow. I grew up near Blackhorse Road and used to baby sit for a family on Wood Street. I’m currently cursing my teenage self for not appreciating it properly!

I’m definitely going to have to take a trip home in the near future, aren’t I?

9. anjasheriden says:

Reblogged this on Wood Street Indoor Market E17 and commented:
    Check out super blogger Karen from Did you make that? My next door neighbour and sewing partner in crime. what a fantastic feature on Wood Street Indoor Market my new home

10. Katie Davies says:

I’ve just moved to Walthamstow, and already loving the crafty feel…but please please tell me the name of the fabric shop down the road?!?! Please!! I live on Chestnut Ave S. and awesome variety of cheap material must be seen!!

11. Julie Caves says:

The quirky market has grown even more lovely with all the new creative shops. Yay Awesomestow!

We are lucky to have a space there for our art exhibition – Turnaround πŸ™‚

12. Anne W says:

Wow, you are lucky – or is that unlucky?? Next time I’m in London I’ll definitely make time for Walthamstow!

13. LinB says:

Must be like living next to a crack house, in an above-board, legal kind of way. Not any less addictive than I have heard crack cocaine can be … watch yourself!

14. Elizabeth says:

Karen, I’m in like Flynn next time I’m in London. You’ll find me waiting on your doorstep for a personal tour. πŸ™‚

15. Tilly says:

Oh how lovely! I think this definitely calls for another little outing to Walthamstow… and maaaayyybe a little stop by the fabric shops but only because it would be rude not to… xx

16. Marie says:

That’s it….tonight I’m packing my belongings and heading to Walthampstow! Because I have nowhere to go (unless I can live at the market) and because this is totally your fault…you have to out my up of course ;o)

17. Marie says:

By the way, have you seen that Sew Incidently is organising a Walthampstow meet-up on 7 April? http://sew-incidentally.blogspot.com/2012/02/well-if-it-was-that-good-lets-do-it.html

Hope you’ll be attending!

18. LLADYBIRD says:

Wahhh, why do I have to be on the other side of the ocean?? Someone get me a Visa so I can go over there & live in a pile of vintage clothes. In return, I’ll entertain you with my Southern accent πŸ™‚

19. Jane says:

So so so so jealous. There’s nothing like that in suburban Ealing, if there was I’d be renting a stall immediately! x

20. Vicki Kate says:

Gah! Just. No. FAIR!!!
    I can’t make April either amd was sulking already, and then you show me this?!
    One day… One day I shall get to Walthamstow…

21. Sarah says:

This is awesome…coming to London for a couple of days mid March and am compiling a “fabric shopping” itinerary… this will definitely be added to the list… thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

22. gingermakes says:

Are you accepting roommates?? What a lovely place to live!!

23. Sarah Chase says:

Ha, you are like me, trying to convince everybody to come to Walthamstow!

They are now trying to do the same sorta thing at the St James St end of Walthamstow market-great. And have you been to The Mill? Formerly St James St library, local residents have transformed it into a centre of community warmth and activity. http://Www.themill-coppermill.org

24. ooobop! says:

Mmmm…. market envy! 😐

25. symondezyn says:

So. Jealous. πŸ™‚

I have a ring kinda like that but it’s ‘fake’ vintage LOL… I adore the real thing!! We have lots of ‘vintage’ and secondhand shops here, but most of them turn out to be full of old-man pants, broken toys, and smelly garments no one wanted when they were new, and want even less now! ^__^

26. Alessa says:

You had to mention this after I visited London *earlier this week*, right? Who knows when I’ll next get to go… It looks great, though, I’m so jealous!

27. Pingback: Significant Seams And A Significant Date | Did You Make That?