Sewzilla Roars

Description: Money-eating craftivore

Period: The Late Fantastic

Oh, good lord. I’ve only gone and bought two metres of dinosaur camouflage fabric. (You can find it here.) I have no idea what I’m going to do with this, but it was too entertaining to resist.

The cotton is listed as clothing fabric, but would I really want to walk around the streets of London with people squinting at me saying, ‘Are those … dinosaurs?’ I suspect this may be fabric for ipad covers and wash bags and the like.

It would, however, make a great lining in a second Minoru jacket. Or blinds for a dino-mad boy’s bedroom. Except I don’t have any little boys to make blinds for.

Help me, please! What would YOU do with fabric that makes you want to roar?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Sewzilla Roars

• Pyjamas! Well, check you out with your genius suggestions. I have a pyjama pattern. Can I squeeze the bottoms out of two metres of fabric? Mmmmm….

• Lotte says:

ahh, the year is but young. summer pyjamas! shorter pyjamas! (meanwhile on the other side of the world my mind is turning to dinosaur onesies for the whole family. I can’t think of any of us three who would turn down such an offer) good luck!

1. I’d make a skirt and wear it with a plain black top. Seriously. It’s too good to hide!

2. Tina says:

I’d make a skirt too.! I already have one in Liberty ‘Crayon’ design and people love it’s quirkiness.

3. ooobop! says:

I’m definitely with Catherine. I certainly would make a skirt… maybe like Tilly’s. You can’t possibly hide it under the duvet…It needs to be seen! 🙂

4. The F Girl says:

Cute! I could absolutely make a skirt out of it. Or pyjamas indeed, perfect. Then I wouldn’t make original pyjamas, with trousers and shirt, but I think I would go for a cute night dress. Sexy shape with dinosaurs on it. Perfect 🙂

But in reality I could probably dream up whatever I want, but I Do have two little boys roaming the house. And I am certain I could not hide this fabric for long. And then they claim it. And somehow I don’t think they would fancy a cute pyjama dress. Hahaha.

Can’t wait to see what you’ll be making!

5. Jacqui says:

A fierce (actually fierce) bustier! With a crimp cut edge along the bustline…like little teeth, or Stegosaur tops.

6. Andrea says:

Luckily, as a preschool teacher, I can get away with a ton of odd clothing choices all in the name of learning. You would not believe how amused children are to see adults in “silly” clothing. I’ve thought about finding some dino fabric for the week we spend learning about them. I’m sure it would tickle my kids to see me flouncing around in a t-rex skirt! 🙂

7. Felicity from Down Under says:

I would certainly make boxers or boardies with it, or PJs, but why shouldn’t such fantastic – sorry what was it, money-eating craftivores – see the light of day and keep everyone delighted (as I’m sure they would)? A skirt sounds like an ideal option. In any case, I doubt if most people would really look too hard. They’d just see it as camo fabric. You know, it’s nice stuff, the skirt would be bound to be a well-made and well fitting garment, but I think people often see what they want to see. If they happened to notice, all the better I say. We all take life far too seriously! 🙂

8. Joanne says:

I love it! It would be perfect for this (easy – seriously!) bag project I did last year.
    Or what about a matching bra/brief set? You’d give the ladies in the gym a bit of a shock (never mind Mr Didyoumakethat)!

9. Zoe says:

Those dinosaurs are ace.

Definitely a skirt, and then use left-over scraps to line a purse. Or for a lining for something very serious-looking, like a plain grey suit.

10. Anne W says:

Skirts and pj bottoms would be cool, how about tote bags for carrying your groceries in, or a yoga mat bag?? Would raise some eyebrows! 😀

11. Kat says:

This fabric is AMAZING! How about a tote bag? It deserves to be on show 🙂

12. Roobeedoo says:

Oh. My. God. I thought I had problems! 😉

13. shivani says:

I’d say PJs too… but only because I love mad prints but am too “sensible” (boring) to step out in them. It would definitely work well as a tote bag, if it’s strong enough. And maybe save any scraps for pocket-lining etc? x

14. Miriana says:

My daughter (aged 2 waist and aged 3 length for sizing purposes) could do with some trousers. She would die for them to have dinosaurs on them (she hasn’t shut up about a trip to the natural history museum nearly a year ago). All her chums are boys and would be majorly jealous.

15. Laura says:

60s style short A-line dress to be worn during summer months. It would be perfect.

16. PendleStitches says:

I’ve just sent the link over to a friend who has a wee small boy who would look perfect in dino cargo pants with, perhaps, a matching backpack. Cargos that roar! Brilliant.

17. nothy lane says:

A skirt, pajamas, a pillowcase or a travel bag for cosmetics. I love that fabric. Lining for the Minoru is a great idea too. I love this blog…

18. liza jane says:

What about another bombshell dress?

🙂

19. prttynpnk says:

How about a girly flak jacket, sort of a lampoon of standard camo gear, but frisky…

20. Andrea says:

For me this is not a hypothetical question … I have some dinosaur fabric of my own:
    I see mine as a full-skirted something-or-other (dress or skirt) someday. But then, that’s what I see when I look at most of the rest of my fabric, too. 🙂

21. CGCouture says:

I’m so glad my son isn’t looking at my computer screen right now. He’s 5, and about as dinosaur obsessed as every other 5 year old boy…..

This fabric would totally rock as a skirt/a-line dress, but the pajamas sound like an excellent option too. 🙂

22. Skirt …then knit a jumper with a dino motif. If you are going to go dino-crazy, may as well go the full-dino!

23. mariadenmark says:

Lining in the jacket would be really cool. But the skirt idea is great, too. It wouldn’t be over the top as a skirt! (Maybe a little too much as a dress….)

24. Tonya says:

I’d make a safari style shirt with rolled tab sleeves. Those dinos are awesome!

25. redsilvia says:

You could make it into a messenger/sling bag and use it everyday when you’re riding your bike. Pjs or lining Minoru #2 (I’ve still not started my Minoru #1 so I’m in awe).

26. Sally says:

I would make pyjama bottoms!

27. Pearl says:

Definitely a skirt! That is cute 🙂

28. I would totally wear a dress with dinosaur camo fabric. But then I have dresses with the following prints:

– Pinup cowgirls
    – Pinup girls at the lake
    – Monkeys
    – Owls
    – Geisha
    – Those curtain dresses which have weird Picasso like bits of fruit on them

And those are just the ones I can think of! But yes, pyjama bottoms would also be pretty awesome!

29. LinB says:

Oh, do make a skirt out of it! I’ll root about in my old knitting patterns for a 1980s horror that would be perfect with it … I vaguely recall dinosaur spines down the top of one batwing sleeve. If I find the pamphlet, I’ll contact you for mailing info, as it is not to be believed unless one sees it for one’s self.

30. Liz says:

I think another Simplicity 2245 is needed here. One can never have too many Lisettes after all!

31. thimbledore says:

Haha, I have zero shame and massive silliness, so I vote for a dino-camo skirt! Not for work, but great for romping around on weekends. Depending on its sturdiness, it could work well as a gym tote. Plucking your water and towel from a herd of dinosaurs could make you feel very strong and amped up! 😀

32. PDX Gretchen says:

Definitely a skirt. It’s practically a neutral. 🙂 Love the fabric and can’t wait to see what you do with it. (I have a stash of impulse-bought satiny Hello Kitty fabric that I’m working through, so I totally understand this purchase.)

33. Jo says:

I think the skirts are winning here. Do it!!!

34. Vicki Kate says:

Best fabric ever! I’d make a really feminine skirt just to offset the masculinity go the dinosaur and camouflage effect! I am sorely tempted to get some and make a meringue with it; the juxtaposition of girlie scallops against the Raa of the dinosaur… With olive lace on a sand lining… I might have to order some now!

35. Lizzet says:

I will definitely make SisBoom the tommy boxers from SisBoom patterns http://www.sisboom.com/patterns/

36. Pingback: Silly sewing plansScruffy Badger Time

37. Marianna says:

Hi Karen
    I think Sewzilla would be lovely in http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/8985. This is one of my favourite patterns and I live in my NL6459 dresses all summer. I’d use it for the bodice of View F, with an added band of the fabric at the hem. The middle could be either matching camo colours or someting unexpected. Perfect for Saturday mornings at the museum.