Double the Dino

Thanks for all of your fabulous suggestions about what to do with the dino print cotton! So many ideas and such encouragement.

Sadly, not everyone thinks this is such a great investment. I don’t want to point fingers in any particular direction (like, Scotland) but fellow bloggers who shall go unnamed (beginning with ‘Roo’ and ending in ‘doo’) have gently questioned (nay, openly mocked) my dino print cotton.

All I can say is: ‘Tell me I can’t do something, and by all that is legal, I shall!’

Fortunately, other readers are more attuned to my … aesthetic.

Lynn sent over the above knitting pattern* and suggested I could make use of it. A dino sweater to go with my dino skirt/pyjama bottoms/tote bag? Spikes running down my arm? Dino spectacles on my hip? What is not to like people?!!!

Lynn, you’re a woman of vision. My sewing and knitting may be about to come together in beautiful union…

Roobeedoo? Don’t say a word. Not. A. Squeak…!

*The pattern is Paton’s & Baldwins Canada Inc. published this in 1988. It was distributed in the U.S.A. by Susan Bates, Inc.

The name of the pattern is Seriousaurus. Yarn specified is Paton’s Beehive Sheland Chunky. It takes 8 balls color A, 4 balls color B and 6 balls color C for the Medium size; and 4.5 mm and 6mm needles are suggested to achieve gauge. The pattern notes “This is an oversized garment.” [Note from Ed: No Kidding!]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Double the Dino

1. Trisha says:

I can’t believe this pattern actually exists! HILARIOUS~!!

2. Gaylene says:

OMG……horrific 80s flashbacks, Oh the things I used to make for people I actually liked….oh the humanity….. Perhaps you could knit for a certain someone in Scotland!

3. SachitaBean says:

Oh, I now have to find a copy of that pattern! The glasses on the stego totally make it. And for the record, I LOVE the dinosaur camo too. What’s life without a little fun and weird thrown in!

4. I love the Seriousaurus! I got that pattern book on a thrift excursion a few weeks back. I am so planning on making him at some point, but maybe flipping him to the back and making it a cardigan. So from the front I just have some inexplicable spikes down one arm.

Now that I’ve destroyed all my credibility, don’t let anyone tell you your prints are too weird. Just go for it!

• LinB says:

Hahahaha! I never had the courage/time/inclination to knit this up for my self/daughter/unspecified victim. I salute you for your plan to convert this to a wearable garment. What colors will you use?

5. wow, I never realised Stegosaurus spikes were something I needed to add to my list of knitting techniques

6. Colleen says:

Scotland is known for its extreme dearth of dinosaurs due to ancient volcanic activity. She’s just jealous.

7. Sherry says:

I’m at my keyboard and don’t know what to type – I’m speechless!

8. grenouille78 says:

I like how the pattern is also in French. I can just see legions of Parisiennes flouncing down the Rue de Rivoli in multi-colored dinos. You never know; it could happen.

9. gingermakes says:

Seriousaurus?!?!?!?! AMAZING. Why is he wearing glasses?!?!?! You NEED to make this.

10. Clare says:

I quite liked the dino print – for a skirt maybe – but I’d expect to be sectioned if I stepped out wearing a stegosaurus jumper to anywhere other than a fancy dress party. Thanks for making me laugh with this, also thanks Grenouille for the hilarious idea of Parisiennes stealing this look!

11. Zoe says:

Goodness, that Stegosaurus really is wearing spectacles.

12. Oh I so wish my knitting was up to making this dino, I LOVE that she’s wearing specs.

13. liza jane says:

Please don’t tease. You have to make this.

14. That just broke my brain. It’d be cute on a three-year-old!

15. KristenMakes says:

Give a dinosaur some glasses and suddenly he’s seriousaurus? Brilliant!

16. MrsC says:

I don’t know if this is an international phenomenon but here in NZ we refer to those brightly coloured novelty 80s jerseys as Murderer Jerseys. This is because there were about three really high profile murder trials in NZ in the 90’s and the accused all wore them. We think this may be something to do with being given old clothes to wear or something. ANYWAY, the vocab has been extended to include GBH jerseys (grevious bodily harm) which are not quite as loud as the others, and Victim Support jerseys, as these lovely and earnest people at the time tended to be seen in jerseys knitted out of porridge, or possibly muesli. Natural, homespun kinds.
    SO, what kind of jersey would we call the Seriousaurus? Probably the Terrorist Jersey. Its vividity extends way beyond the confines of what the Murderer Jersey can inflict. AND I am stegosauruses were among the scarier of the dinosaurs… 😉

17. Felicity from Down Under says:

I’m quite lost for words. It’s something I could imagine my son having wanted when he was about five, but it would take a far braver person than I am to wear it anywhere but on the farm in an adult sizing!

18. Felicity from Down Under says:

PS: or maybe a uni student. They’re up to all sorts of weirdness

19. Pırpır says:

You’ve got to love the 80s. Look at that cuteness of that sweater! 🙂

20. Dilly says:

I reeeeeaaally want that jumper. Seriously. I totally think you should make it – it goes waaaay past the hideous to the completely spectacularly cool.

Also don’t let anyone tell you the dinosaur camo print is terrible, it is officially awesome. You need to read more Dress A Day so you realise the true amazingness of novelty prints. I would probably make a full on dress from that print (I’m trying to resist buying it, I can’t close the door on my fabric cupboard), but your idea of a jacket lining would be great too.

21. Helena Cole says:

Where would a person purchase the pattern? I have been looking for this.