OWOP Day 2

I did it! I didn’t stop to walk and I didn’t cry. You have no idea how many times I wanted to stop and walk, but my desire to avoid a blog post beginning with the word ‘Unfortunately…’ proved stronger.

30 minutes into the race, I glanced at my watch and thought, ‘Yes, they’ll be shouting now.’ Thank you all so much for your comments and encouragement. It means a heck of a lot to me.

So. Thoughts. The first five miles were a consistent medley of killer hills, one of which stretched on for two miles. The last three miles were a long, slow, straight line along the sea front with nothing to divert a soul from how tired their body was. I could feel myself slowing down with every step. These two challenges made this the slowest half marathon I’ve ever run (and I run slowly!) but hey… I was RUNNING slowly, not WALKING. I’m very proud of this fact.

I know in my heart that this is (probably) the last half marathon I’ll do. I proved something to myself with this one, but I ain’t no natural athlete. I love running for many, many reasons and don’t want to stop, but… You know when you’ve ticked a box, don’t you?

Right! Anyone want to see photos of me looking like a total, lardy idiot? Here you go!

ย Start Line. Yes, that’s the look of pure terror.

Finish Line

Oh, and check out the totally awesome medal of brass loveliness, that I shall probably wear into the office tomorrow, saying, ‘What? This old thing?’

Now. Onto the really important matters. Which Sorbetto did I change into on OWOP Day 2 at my lovely guest house, where they allowed me to use the showers after the race? This one, blogged about in July last year:

What I really like about an-outfit-a-day sewing challenges, are that they throw a harsh light on the makes that aren’t working. This one isn’t. It’s too tight across the chest and through sheer impatience, I used a really cheap, coarse, stiff bias binding tape on the arm holes and neck line. A travesty if ever there was one. So today proved that this top needs to go into my scrap box, the fabric to be used on something else. No biggie. That’s the way things shake out sometimes.

It’s time for me to go and lie down on the sofa. Where’s a butler when you need one?

43 Responses to OWOP Day 2

1. Debi says:

YAY! Congrats! What a great accomplishment! I just love the running photos too. You and Winnie are inspiring me to start running again ๐Ÿ™‚ Now go and enjoy some wine!

2. Funnygrrl says:

Great job! I got away from running after ticking a box on a 10K. Now I miss it but can’t seem to get started again. You’ve inspired me. Thanks!

3. Bold Sewist says:

Yay! You did it! Well done – I’m impressed all over again!

4. ooobop! says:

Well done Karen. You are a star! I’d like to say you have inspired me to start running… but it’s going to take a lot more than that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ With regs the sorbetto, its amazing that what was once pride and joy pales into insignificance, ending in the scrap pile, the further we venture into sewing addiction. But I do think you a being a bit hasty with that one!

5. stacyverb says:

Congratulations! You must feel very proud (and exhausted). I know what you mean about some makes that just aren’t working. I spent this morning pulling some of those out of the closet and having a harsh look at them.

6. Lynne says:

Congratulations!!!!!! I had every faith in you! Definately wear your medal tomorrow, possibly with some sort of flashing light arrangement around it! Then shove said medal in everybody’s faces and shout “I ran a half marathon yesterday, did you?!”. You have totally earned the right!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. You are an inspiration! Congratulations.

8. Joanne says:

FANTASTIC Karen well done indeed! I am so delighted for you. It sounds like you did something today that you can look back on and say YES, I did that and it meant something to me, and I’m proud of myself. Och chuck, yer bringing a tear to my eye!
    Re the Sorbetto – are you sure? I think it’s beautiful with those gorgeous mustard trews. Having said that, if it doesn’t feel right fit-wise then sometimes it’s best to retire/adapt it.
    Re the car in the last pic – are you trying to nick it? Are you pretending it’s yours? Is it yours? Can i have a spin in it?

9. Clare says:

A-mazing. Well done and make that a bottle of wine! I hope you’re feeling very proud of yourself.

10. oonaballoona says:

YEAH KAREN! just the thought of running a block makes me want to throw up. you are amazing, and deserve to hire a butler for the day. perhaps he can also iron that top and nicely fold it in your scrap box (beautiful though it is. i know the feeling of regret.)

11. Karine says:

Congratulations ! You can be proud of yourself and you do deserve a glass, or rather a bottle of good wine ! (and a massage and 2 days off). I run too but have not participated to any race till now. I’ve got many boxes to tick !

12. Threadless says:

Proper job! Now go get a glass, bottle of wine possibly some choccies, then relax whilst polishing both medal and halo. Well done!x

13. mujerboricua says:

Yaaaay! What a beautiful bit of bling you got there. Congrats!

14. Marie says:

Congratulations Karen, you are an amazing lady for running the half marathon with such determination! It shows a real strength of character and I admire you for it. From my own experience I know how hard running can be and there’s no way you’d catch me running for any length of time, so good work ;o)

Shame about this Sorbetto being relegated to the scrap box by the way, but I guess you win some and you lose some!

15. Tamsin W-P says:

Congratulations Karen! What a huge feeling of relief you must have, knowing that you have done it!

16. Erika says:

Gratz Karen! You inspire me to keep on trying, thanks!

17. Frances says:

Good on you, I’d be wearing the medal everywhere. I’m enjoying seeing your collection of Sorbettos.

18. nothy lane says:

Congratulations! How wonderful to set a goal and to realize that goal!

19. Rachel-Lou says:

Well Done! you look adorable in that pre-race pic, even if you are terrified!

20. Karen You absolute star, my heroine, you are brilliant. I really am so proud of you as I know how hard it is & you ran all the way!! (& I actually walked in my recent one, & went to a portaloo being desperate not just to pee, but to sit down too, but shhhh! I was past caring!) The photos are great & you are smiling & that is what’s important. It sounds as if the course was a bit of a trial at the first 5, wow. In the heat too. But hope that the last length along the seafront made up for it. WELL DONE!!!! Hope you are enjoying some fizz & who cares if this Sorbetto isn’t your favorite. You’ve just run 13.2 miles lady! Woo hoo!

21. sewforward says:

Congratulations! You are inspiring! On to the next race!

22. leahfranqui says:

Congratulations! That’s fantastic! Well done!

23. Congratulations, Karen. The Hastings Half sounds hilly and dull, and you did a “hot” version too.

I think you look great in your running stuff!

I hope you realise that training through the winter is an achievement in itself, as lots of people give up when the weather is uninspiring and the light poor. I hope you carry on running for fun, especially now sunshine’s here, and the gear’s lighter. Think how great those Sorbettos will look on tanned arms (am I “incentivising” you enough?!).

24. Congratulations! And goodonya! What a fantastic achievement.

You top is lovely, but you’re right – if it doesn’t fit right it need to either be altered or sent to the op shop. I sent a lot of handmade stuff to the op shop earlier this year because they didn’t fit right, or were ugly (including the green gingham house dress!!! I’ve inflicted the ugly onto someone else!)

And congrats for knowing when your time was up with the half marathon palaver. Personally I couldn’t imagine running one – would much rather hike up a mountainside or swim 50 laps.

25. silvia says:

Yay! You did it! Congratulations on the achievement.

Your post inspired me to get out of my jetlagged bed this a.m. and do my 3.6 miles at the gym. You may say you run slow, but I have to run slow AND indoors. You know, if you change your mind about another half marathon there is a Wine Country (California) Half Marathon in October…you actually run by the wineries (and maybe stop for “refreshments”). I’d not do it being lazy an’ all, but I’ll lend you my corkscrew.

26. MrsC says:

What a fantastic achievement! Such a nice place to do it too!

27. Stevey says:

Congratulations!!!
    We had an absolutely queer weekend here where everything that could go wrong went wrong. I just realized how queer it must have been when it just drew a look of mild astonishment from my husband when I started shouting at the computer. Lol.
    Ah, Hastings. Was there when I was sixteen and I will never forget having cream tea in the Willow room in the Old town. So great.

28. Felicity from Down Under says:

When I was a high school student I was a sprinter. But once round the oval – what’s that, 440 metres? – was too much for me and things have not improved in that respect. You’re amazing. I tips me lid.

29. Jennifer says:

Congratulations on such an accomplishment! You should certainly flaunt your shiny new accessory!

30. LLADYBIRD says:

Congratulations, you! Slow runner or not, you ran EIGHT FREAKING MILES and finished! And now you have a shiny medal to wave in everyone’s face for bragging rights (I’d brag! I can’t even run two blocks lol so consider me in awe :)). You are amazing and you should feel extremely proud of yourself for being so amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

31. LinB says:

Well done, you! Now give the offending top away, and make yourself another one. (You have that option, which is to my mind extremely empowering.) Pick a similar fabric and colorway, so it will make you just as happy as you hoped the original would make you.

32. littlepostcards says:

Congratulations! A half marathon is awesome! Just a new runner myself, and that seems like an awful long distance!

33. symondezyn says:

You ought to be so proud of yourself… I know I am for you!! Way to go!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ You may not think yourself a runner but girl, I couldn’t run that far if I tried, so maybe it’s more you than you think! ๐Ÿ™‚

34. Hello Karen, I’m normally a silent reader of your blog, but I had to comment on this for three reasons – firstly, whoop whoop I live in Hastings! Glad you had a fab time shopping in the old town – it’s a regular haunt of ours and where I sell some of my sewing! Two – to say congrats on completing the half marathon and writing touchingly about your marathon experiences, no mean feat and you are rightly proud of that bit of brass ๐Ÿ™‚ Lastly, to ask a little advice (since you are a fabric shopping queen) – I’m making my own 50’s style wedding dress for this summer, and Mum and I spent last wednesday up in London searching for the perfect 1950’s bright print silk. I think we probably did the obvious places – Edgeware Road, Berwick St and Broadwick St, Liberty’s and John Lewis…some contenders but nothing that really jumped out and said “pick me, I am the one!”. So round two of shopping is on Thursday and we are headed to Goldhawk Rd, but I wondered if you had any other shop suggestions for fab fifties style prints in silks, dress-making cottons, taffeta or something similar?
    Any ideas would be mightily appreciated! xx

35. Bravo! Well done! I used to run a lot, then kids kind of sidetracked that. I’ve just started a couch to 5 km programme to get myself back in shape, but it’s tough. I’m so impressed you run half marathons and that you persevered. And I love the outfit and also the car next to you!

36. Alessa says:

Yay, congrats, Karen!

37. Tilly says:

Oh wow, congratulations! You must be feeling SO proud of yourself. What an amazing achievement! You’re an inspiration xx