OWOP Day 4 – The Children’s Author

Today was the day for Sorbetto to act as my basic blank canvas. I wanted to cycle the stiffness out of my thighs, so needed something plain and simple to pair with jeans – but which could be brightened up with accessories. Plain black Sorbetto using fabric at £3 a metre from The Textile Centre? Sold!

The above photo was taken during my morning cycle to work, beside the River Lea. It may be sunny, but there’s still a Spring chill in the air – hence the scarf.

And who was my person to be photographed with today? Not a stranger this time, but someone I’ve known for over ten years. Children’s author, Val Wilding, was in town and it was only right that we go out for lunch with another lovely editor friend, Elizabeth.

What do you think of when you imagine a children’s author? Someone warm, kind, cuddly, with a wealth of talent who buys you chocolates? That would be my friend, Val. She’s an extremely special person. You can read her writing here or here or here.

Check out Val’s satchel! It’s like my pink one, except red.

Finally, I leave you with an extract from a new anthology of real questions people have asked booksellers. I’m worried, now, about what people use The Reader’s Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing for…

Customer: Do you have any medical textbooks?

Bookseller: Sorry, no. They go out of date so quickly we don’t stock them, but I can order one in for you.

Customer: I’m not worried about it being in date.

Bookseller: Does your university not request you have a specific edition?

Customer: Oh, I’m not a medical student. I just want to learn how to do stitches.

Bookseller: …Right.

Customer: Do you have a book on sewing instead?

16 Responses to OWOP Day 4 – The Children’s Author

1. Elizabeth says:

OMG!!!!!!!! I am very scared now. How strange!!!

2. Joanne says:

Awh she does look very nice! Flats snap! Also wore red pumps today – had evil first day shoe soreness though on one foot, had to hop back from the park at lunchtime to get to the office plaster stash!

3. Kerry says:

I heard an interview with the author of that book on the radio – some of the questions were hilarious!

4. Two lovely photos there (I never realized till this week how tricky it can be to have a decent photo taken in bright sunlight). Next week, the kids and I will be off the library and we’ll look out for Val!

5. I have red satchel envy! I’m not surprised by the bookseller’s anthology – I’m a librarian and I have been asked some very strange questions in my time…

6. That is hilarious. The things people ask sometimes…
    I never think of myself as quiet. I am a chatty person, I’ll talk forever when I am comfortable. But it seems I give off the air of being quiet to others. I think it stems from a fear of being that person asking something silly like that and looking foolish so I wait until I can make sense of it myself.

I love how you’ve taken a black background and such lovely bright flats. It’s a great outfit.

7. symondezyn says:

BAHAHA!!! I would be so scared to answer that question!!! LOL

Love your cute little black sorbetto!!! And that cobblestone road…. gorgeous 😀

8. Bold Sewist says:

So you did make a plain one – great canvas! I miss the rivers / canals in London 🙁

9. jokeonly says:

How about, ‘I’m looking for a book. It’s yellow.’

10. gingermakes says:

Eep! You even look cute in basics! How do you do it, miss, how do you do it??

11. Felicity from Down Under says:

That’s another great Sorbetto, and it’s obviously a look that can be dressed up with the flashy red numbers or left much more casual with the joggers. Nice.

12. oonaballoona says:

oh NO.

that’s sort of saw scary.

i love meetup shots– i think her purse and your shoes called each other to coordinate!

13. Pippa says:

hehe brilliant, although I do know a lot of people who arent medical student or qualified who know how to do stitches and some of those have even had to use their skills at times…

Nice looks. 😀