It’s Like I’m Psychic Or Something

Iā€™m sorely tempted to trace and duplicate it…

Barely were these words typed up, then THIS happened to my beloved skirt as featured in yesterday’s OWOP post.

I’d decided my outfit was suitable for cycling to work in. As I stopped at a junction and stepped off the pedals, my hem caught on the back of the seat. I was stuck! Quite literally. My toes barely reached the tarmac, my pubic bone ground into the seat… (Yeah, ouch.) I thought I was going to have to tip myself over and fall to the ground in order to free myself.

Then a lovely lady walked past and I yelped for help. ‘Can you get my skirt off the back of the seat?’ She helped me rearrange my outfit, but the damage had been done. My skirt had torn.

I think I can mend this with the darning function on my beloved Bernina.

I am VERY impressed that the button stayed in place.

I am VERY impressed that the button hole just about stood the test.

Has this type of thing happened to anyone else? I think I may be drafting a new skirt sooner than I anticipated. This may be a second summer devoted to the search for a perfect cycling skirt.

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to It’s Like I’m Psychic Or Something

1. ooobop! says:

Oh what a shame. Especially that it happened to one that you made. Its not happened to me but did to our local lollipop lady who had a nasty accident as a result. I think if you could design a safe cycling skirt you would make a fortune! x

2. KristenMakes says:

Oh NO! how very kind of the lady to help you out. I’m sorry the need to draft came sooner than anticipated, but this is a project I look forward to seeing!

3. Felicity from Down Under says:

oh, what bad luck – but thank goodness for the kind stranger who saved you from something much nastier than a torn skirt. Yes, I think the buttonhole and button did very well to survive what was obviously a fairly significant force. Good luck with the redraft and I too am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

4. Rachel says:

I’ve not gotten stuck on my skirt, but i have got my tights stuck on a little plastic bit on the bottom of my bike seat before. it’s a bit scary being attached to your bike isn’t it! Luckily i could keep going and sit on my seat until in a safer spot and then a yank freed me (and ruined the tights)

5. stitchywitch says:

Sad! I’ve never used the darning function on my machine, but I do hear that it works well. My husband bikes to work and often comes home with ripped pants from catching them in the chains (even though he has the bands that roll them up, they will come loose on hills!) I just bought myself a new bicycle, which I’m hoping to use to cycle to some of my jobs next year, so I look forward to your solution – I will need a cycling skirt!

6. Marie says:

Oh no, how sad! I can’t believe this happened straight after your praise for this poor skirt! The mental image of you stuck on your bike and a lady coming to the rescue did have me in stitches though…sorry! Best get tracing lady ;o)

7. Joanne says:

Oh no! The last time I tore a skirt like that I was seven and jumping off the garden front wall. The skirt hooked over the railing and I was left dangling in mid air with my bottom to the wind, waiting for someone to come rescue me. Be thankful for small mercies Karen, Be thankful. At least you have an excuse to recreate the little beauty!

8. Roobeedoo says:

Noooo!
    But it looks like a fairly clean tear. I would try to mend it with a backing of fusible interfacing and some fierce zigzag stitching, then sling a length of bias binding down the inside, either side of where the buttonholes go, for reinforcement.
    Oh – and make another skirt using Vogue 1247 šŸ˜‰

9. prttynpnk says:

Oh that is so hard to look at! All your work, ooh!

10. Sam says:

Oh! At first glance, I thought your tear looked just like this one, with a nice little mending method attached:

But then yours tore through all the layers, rather than the top layer. What a shame!

I reckon you could still make something of it and patch it up to be wearable again.

11. Debi says:

Oh no!!! How horrible! I once caught my trousers hem on my heel and almost did a face plant down several flights of stairs in Waverly station. Luckily, I caught the hand rail and just fell in a bit of a slump until I could untangle myself! eeep!

12. Sorry to hear about the skirt! At least it’s the lower layer, not the top (button hole) layer so your darning will be hidden. I say trace off another, if you love this one so much, why not have two?

13. Jenn-NY says:

Ouch – I think that will take more than darning to repair. Corduroy sometimes has weak spots, I’ve noticed. The fabric around the vertical tear may not be too stable. You could consider cutting off and replacing the right side of the placket. The perpendicular/cross grain tear is going to be tricky, though. Tracing off a new pattern may be the way to go.

14. Colleen says:

Yup. Both times due to high heels.

The first time I was wearing a much-loved raw silk skirt. I squatted down to get something from a lower shelf. When I stood up, one of my heels caught in the hem of the skirt and tore half of it out. Fortunately, that one was easy to repair.

The other was a printed rayon satin, also a favourite skirt. I have a habit of tucking one leg under me when I’m sitting. I went to stand up and my heel caught in the fabric of the lower back of the skirt and tore it. I repaired it reasonably well, but the repair was never invisible.

15. Colleen says:

ETA:

If you decide to repair it, that repair will need backing or it will never be stable. You don’t want anything overly thick–likely a cotton broadcloth or something (pre-shrunk) should work fine. Fortunately, this is on the button side and the repair will be hidden (or mostly hidden) by the buttonhole placket. I’d partially open up the torn facing, attach my stabilizing fabric to one side of the placket (preferably the back, or innermost, side) by sewing around the edges of the “patch”. I’d then zig-zag closed the rip on the innermost side. The next two steps can be done in whatever order you think best: 1. Close up the placket; 2. Zig-zag closed the rip on the upper side. That repair should hold quite well.

16. symondezyn says:

What I’m very impressed with is your courage to ask for help extricating yourself from your skirt/bike predicament! Sorry to see your favourite skirt’s demise, but perhaps it was a message that it wanted to be copied! šŸ™‚

17. Kerry says:

Yikes! That’s quite a tear. Glad to hear your dignity was mostly intact tho! šŸ™‚

18. Claire says:

What about biking culottes!? I have a retro pair that are kinda like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40996578@N04/4261303172/

The flap in front and back blends with the pleats so you would hardly know they’re shorts.

19. Ashley says:

I had a coat that sometimes got caught on the back of my bike seat. I tried to tuck it under my bum when I cycled but had several near misses at falling over. When I nearly went over on the bakfiets with two kids in the box I retired the coat. Good luck with the darning!

20. CGCouture says:

Yeesh! This could have been much worse than it was. That was a super nice lady to help you out instead of pretending you weren’t talking to her and running away. I guess now you’ll have to copy it. šŸ™‚

21. Steph A says:

Just by chance, I was at the book store this morning flipping through the new “threads sewing guide”, when I saw the section on mending. Who would have guessed, there was a photo of a torn button placket and more photos showing how to mend it! Page 355 if you’re interested!