Walthamstow Welcomes You!

Oh, look! Karen’s banging on about how brilliant Walthamstow, London is – again. It’s not my fault this time. Claire of Sew Incidentally had organised a Fabric Swap and Shop on my home turf. Well, it would have been rude not to turn up, especially as some of my most favourite people were going to be trauling the shops.

Above is Claire, greeting and meeting the group at the start of the day. Note the miniature flipboard, the pen-on-a-string and the wheeled shopping bag. This woman means business!

Pure Fabric Swap Joy
Here’s Marie of A Sewing Odyssey, choosing some fabric to swap. It was really nice to see Marie again and meet her friend Krafty Kat. As ever on these meet-ups, I found myself surrounded by like-minded people. The funny aspect of our fabric shopping was knowing which fabrics people would gravitate towards, simply from reading their blogs. Oh, So Zo? There’s some nautical fabric here. Handmade Jane? Have you seen the polka dot elastic? We spent a lot of time enabling each other.
From the swap, I scored some very exciting fabrics and a pattern that has lit my imagination.
And did I buy much? I was relatively restrained, only buying something for a test run on a project I have muddling around in my brain. A possible … could it be … might I try … my first sewalong?
Don’t get too excited. It is going to be REALLY simple, but I hope lots of fun.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Walthamstow Welcomes You!

1. Kat says:

Hehe a great sum up if the day – I think there was definately a lot of enabling going on! It was lovely to meet you and I could not be more jealous that you have the wonders of Walthamstow on your doorstep! I cannot beleive the bargainous fabric available – I will be returning (once I have made a dent in the rather large addition to my stash made today…I was not as restrained as you!!!)

2. Molly says:

That’s a lot of fabric!

I was in Walthamstow today, fabric shopping between 2:30 and 4:30pm, how did I not bump into any avid sewing bloggers? All the stores were quiet… but then I was also speed fabric shopping mostly with my eye to the pavement and cursing the crowds… I need one of those shopping trolleys, what a great idea, I could fill it with fabric and then swing it nonchalantly in the direction of slow pavement-blockers 🙂

3. Funnygrrl says:

Looks like fun! Enabling is so much fun.
    And a sewalong sounds great. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got planned!

4. Karen Marie says:

Oh, a sew along! That would be fun. I’m sure you would make it funny too!

5. Karen – t’was a pleasure to see you again (as always) sorry I forgot to give you your bit of cake before you had to leave today hun (my bad! :().

6. Marie says:

Nicely summarised Karen, it really was lovely to see you again (and to actually get to a bit too)! If anyone was in doubt about how incredibly exciting the day was, just point them in the direction of the picture you took of me…hands don’t move at triple speed unless there’s A LOT of excitement involved ;o)

7. Felicity from Down Under says:

Thank you for sharing what sounds – and looks – like a fabulous day. Nice that you were all able to cater to each other’s tastes. I think that sounds less, um, questionable than “enabling”. But whatever works, I say. Clearly, blogs do!

8. Alessa says:

Oooh, fun! A sewalong? I’m listening!

9. Sounds like a great day! I’ve found a group of gals to knit with one a month, but am still looking for a group that shares my love of sewing here in my hometown. Love your blog 🙂

10. Pingback: Tiny Pocket Tank, Huge Copy Cat | Did You Make That?

11. CuriousGem says:

I definitely, definitely do not need to, have absolutely no reason to go to Walthamstow (again – damn you) but just in case I get a shopping emergency, are the shops open on a Sunday? I liked the haberdashers