Pyjama Party – Sewing The Inside Leg Seam

Today, we’re going to do our first piece of sewing – the inside leg seam. This is sooooo hard. Not!

Pin your inside seams together, right sides of fabric facing. Make sure to match up your notches. The photo above gives you a really good picture of the different shapings for the front and back centre seams.

If you’re lucky enough to own an overlocker, you can sew and finish these seams at the same time. I wouldn’t necessarily use this method on all makes (I suspect the stitching can be weak) but for the inside of a pyjama leg, I’m happy. There’s a nice ridge on my overlocker that allows me to see where to put the edge of the fabric to make a 15mm seam allowance:

If you don’t own an overlocker, no problem! Sew your seams with a 15mm seam allowance and finish the seam using one of the following methods:

• Pinking scissors
  • A zig zag stitch

Or you could use a French seam. For an unbelievably marvellous run down of seam finishes, with photos, visit this blog post from A Fashionable Stitch. I would urge you to give your seams a good finish. If you’re anything like me, your pyjamas will be in and out of the washing machine on heavy rotation for the next ten years. You’ll want them to last!

A word of advice: my pattern piece includes a slight outward angle at the bottom of each pyjama leg seam. Try not to trim this off as it will make hemming your pyjamas at the ankle much easier.

Press your lovely new seams. I find it useful to have a sleeve board for sliding the legs over. I found mine in a charity shop, so you don’t need to spend lots of money on these.

Ta da! You now have two pyjama legs. Any other hints and tips to share FROM THE NEARLY 140 PARTY ATTENDEES? Whoo-boy, I had no idea how much Sewists like to party.

Floral top, floral jim jams. Too much floral in this photo?

29 Responses to Pyjama Party – Sewing The Inside Leg Seam

1. Catriona says:

I’m trying to find out about the party? I tried to make my own pattern unsuccessfully at Christmas can’t wait to try this simplicity one 😉 yours are looking good 😉

2. jenny says:

I had never thought of making my pyjama bottoms before but what a great way of using fabrics from the stash. This ‘series’ is obviously going to be perfect for anyone just starting out on their first dressmaking adventure. Its very clear and fun to follow. I like the options you suggest too for seam finishes but could I just mention that you have french seams as a seam finish option ‘after’ the 15mm seam has been made, whereas it needs to be used instead of the 15mm seam. Oh dear that sounds picky but I just thought I would mention it for anyone just starting out.

3. It’s looking lovely…

4. Katie says:

They look great! Oh dear, I may have to make some pyjama bottoms now, time to raid the stash for fabric…!

5. Marie says:

You can never have too much floral, so it’s all good! You’re making me want my fabric back now Karen, your PJ bottoms are going to be so cute ;o) I didn’t realise how much fabric PJs eat up, so I had to order more of my tacky, but smooth animal print…haha!

6. happyhermit says:

Now i know why my pattern hasn’t arrived yet … the 139 other people who ordered it too!!

7. Fiona says:

Oh no, I’m late! I haven’t even cut mine out yet. Loving your floral fabric though. Mine will be plain bottoms and a patterned top. Best get me skates on ……….

8. Simona says:

Thanks to your picture with the serger I finally realized how to use it to stitch my projects directly on the serger. 🙂 Dahh! I must have not tried enough!!
    Your pyjama pants are looking good! I bet by the time you finish them I’ll be jealous for not giving it a go as well.

9. Rachel says:

Definitely not too much floral! It’s looking good. I stitched up a pair of PJs for your pyjama party this evening. From a different pattern though. I will be posting a tutorial of how I added pockets to my pattern on my blog in the next few days, in response to a friend that wanted to know how but perfectly timed for your Pyjama party!

10. leahfranqui says:

I’m using Vintage Simplicity 4971, which actually does it the opposite way, but I know it will all work out in the end! And I’m pinking my seams, screw finishing seams on Pajamas….I love your floral pairings! More floral, more floral!

11. Susan says:

My fabric arrived this morning, so it’s in the washing machine this evening. I’ll be using french seams as I find them comfortable especially as I’m a very restless sleeper and the PJ legs end up twisted around me tightly!

• That’s an excellent point, Susan. Nothing itching next to your legs on a French seam. I used French seams throughout on some PJs I made a couple of years ago for exactly this reason.

12. Sarah Adie says:

Fab idea! I’m sad I’m only finding out about this now, I think it’s a bit late for me to join in. I don’t even have any fabric – but host another one soon please! 🙂

13. This is getting exciting now – can’t wait to see everyone’s creations! I’ve just got the waistband to put in my PJs now – I’m going with elastic rather than a tie waist.

Plus, Karen, I agree with the others, you can never have too many florals!

14. Jane says:

There’s no such thing as too much floral! Thanks for the excellent overlocker tip too. I’ll be doing French seams but it’s really useful to know about that secret ridge! x

15. French seams make a lot of sense for pj bottoms. I think I’ll be going that route.

16. grenouille78 says:

French seams are a great idea. Think I’ll go ahead and do that since my fabric is fairly lightweight. I’m a sucker for big, rosy florals. Wanna trade with me? 😉

17. symondezyn says:

French seams on pj bottoms is a dear idea!! I have this silky type fabric I picked up awhile ago, and now I’m thinking it’d make good pjs…. perfect fabric weight for French seams too! Hmmmmmmmm – ideas! 🙂

18. Maddie says:

Yay for sewin the inseams! I’m still in love with the print of your pyjamas

19. Sue says:

I was supposed to go buy my material earlier this week, but I haven’t been able to use my car! So I finally ordered some online today. I’m a bit late, but hopefully will catch up next week. I sure do like the idea of trying a French seam on the pj bottoms as well.

20. nothy lane says:

I have my fabric cut out and I planned to start today, but just discovered raccoons in the attic. So my sewing for the sew-along will be a bit behind. I am very excited though – I bough rain boots flannel (it’s still chilly here in Toronto) fabric!