Leaving, Arriving, Deciding

A few days ago life was this:

Death Valley

And now it’s this:

But at least I came home to this:

And I feel very happy to be back! The first things I did?

• Water the plant pots in the garden. (Please god my plants have survived my absence. Tomorrow morning will tell me.)
  • Put the first of many loads in the washing machine.
  • Sit cross legged on the floor with my new fabric purchases, pulling out my patterns.

The fabric that’s really putting me in a dither is the cotton in a dark batik print I bought in San Francisco. I love it, but I think usage needs carefully thinking about. This isn’t a dress or a top. I keep thinking about a long skirt with some clever draping – but I have no idea what. I have 2.5 yards, 44 inch wide.

Let me know if you have pattern suggestions. You’d really help me out!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Leaving, Arriving, Deciding

1. Debi says:

Welcome back!!! You’ve brought some CA weather with you 🙂

2. Dont know why but I am thinking wide leg trousers / palazzo pants for that material? Welcome Back 🙂

3. Crazy lining for a plain linen coat.

4. redsilvia says:

Well the obvious suggestion for the batik would be Cambie dress. That would be cute with some piping or trim. Skirt-wise I can see you in this (which I LOVE):

Perhaps batik wouldn’t work with the bustle skirt, but it’s surely cute.

5. Welcome back, and I note that the present participles are now performing as verbs rather than gerunds. Aren’t they versatile? The fabric is unusual and it’s probably very versatile too but I don’t know enough about what wonderful patterns are out there to make any useful recommendations. I’m sure plenty of your other readers will, so I’m looking forward to their suggestions and your eventual FO

6. gingermakes says:

Ooh, that batik is amazing! I love it! I’m excited to see what you make with it!

I hope your trip was lovely! Doing laundry is always the worst part about coming home!

7. Sarah says:

Just wore my new Koos van den Akker (Vogue 2971) skirt, which is a great showcase for a fab print. And it has pockets, and will make your acquaintenances who think they know clothing construction say, “Wait….turn around again?” Not at all hard.

8. sewbusylizzy says:

I would go long as well, sounds like you are after a waterfall effect but I can’t think of a pattern either. Given its a batik, what about a wrap skirt? Which also seems to be a hard pattern to come by. I got an AMAZING 70s vintage wrap skirt at an op-shop but have not found a pattern like it. What about a long full skirt with a block colour contrast ala a longer version of Vogue 8295?

9. Roobeedoo says:

Welcome back! I don’t envy you all that washing, but that fabric is amazing! Another Cynthia Rowley tulip skirt? Or am I only saying that because I have finally got round to making one myself!

10. LinB says:

The Sewing Workshop’s “Origami Skirt.” Not a skirt, not pants, clean on the top, moderate draping on the bottom around the leg openings, no one else in your neighborhood will have one like it. Probably not suitable for bicycling, though.