Faith Cardigan, Kim Hargreaves

It took me nine months to knit this cardigan. Nine months! Wow, elephants gestate quicker than I knit. Actually, elephants gestate for 645 days. I know this because I Googled it. You know Google – it’s a reference book for the Internet generation.

But, look! Isn’t it pretty? Whilst knitting this, if I was ever wearing pink nail varnish, I’d notice how nicely the colours sat together, which meant I had to wear this cardigan with my Village Haberdashery skirt. The pretty mother of pearl buttons come from my trip to Kempton Antiques last summer.

What shall I tell you about this pattern? Well, I went seriously off-piste. When I started knitting I noticed that the make was coming up very small. I was all set to rip back and start again with larger needles, but both Roobeedoo and Mooncalf Makes left constructive suggestions. They agreed that the structure of my knitting looked really nice. Rather than rip back and start again, why didn’t I just stick with the needles I had and knit a larger size?

I would never have dared do this without their suggestions. I’m not sure it would even have occurred to me. But I decided to be brave and plunged ahead, knitting up the size XXL aimed at a 43 inch bust, when I have a 36 inch bust.

Thank you, ladies! I now have a cardigan with a really nice, solid structure. I was extremely nervous that I’d actually end up with a cardigan that just didn’t fit, but I was careful to check each piece against the pattern guide for measurements and things seemed to be on the right track. This is what I hate about knitting – it can take nine months of hard labour to discover you’ve made a dud! Fortunately, that wasn’t the case this time.

New knitters take note – refer to these diagrams!

My tension issues may in part be down to the fact that I didn’t use the recommended wool for this pattern. Instead, I used Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. It’s the same wool I used on this sweater and that Do You Mind If I Knit used on her Debbie Bliss Dress. Oh yes, we’re all about the Debbie Bliss! This is an awesome wool – fact.

A lot of the knitting here is a simple knit one row, purl one row, but unusually the ‘wrong’ side of the make is used as the ‘right’ side. There are also some pretty eyelet details on the back, arms and front bodice pieces. Just in case you get, you know, bored. (Personally, I love mindless knitting.) The sleeve construction is so clever, knitted wide and then gathered at the cuff. And may I just mention that oh so pretty peplum hem with the triangle details? To die for.

I added an extra 10 cm to the length of this make and am incredibly glad I did. I also sewed down the button band to avoid gaping. Other than knitting the largest make in the book, I kept true to all other instructions!

This is the third project I’ve made from the Kim Hargreaves Heartfelt book and I can still see others I want to try. It’s been a decent investment. But after two makes with DK wool, I am now desperate to do something different – and quick to complete! So my next project will use ultra bulky wool. You can’t get any bigger than that.

Bye for now!

This entry was posted in knitting, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Faith Cardigan, Kim Hargreaves

1. leahfranqui says:

So lovely! I adore this, Karen, well worth the wait!

2. Lucy says:

Lovely! I am a new knitter and am already developing a bit of a Kim Hargreaves crush. I’ve just gotten my hands on a copy of Nectar (OOP), but from looking at Heartfelt I now really want a Darcy!

3. gingermakes says:

So pretty! Absolutely worth the wait! You look great!

4. LLADYBIRD says:

It’s so gorgeous, and definitely worth the wait! I love that color!

5. Kerry says:

It’s really pretty, love the details on the front and the sleeve shape.

6. Kat says:

Gorgeous colour! I have used Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmino for knitting sweaters and bunnies for several small people – it is my favourite type of yarn to knit with as it’s just so beautifully soft! It comes in a divine range of colours too, like this one you’ve used! What’s not to love.

7. Rachel says:

It’s so pretty! I want one now, I may have to knit it myself! Just wondering about the size issue, did you knit up a gauge swatch beforehand? They can really help….

8. Lisa says:

Stunning work Karen , well worth all the hard work.

9. Pin Queen says:

Wow! It’s really, really lovely Karen and so worth 9 months of effort. The colour is great on you as well as the fit. It’s, well, erm, lovely!

10. The sweater is lovely. I hope to learn to knit someday.
    Nice job!

11. Bold Sewist says:

So pretty! It looks great with that skirt – the perfect outfit for the not very warm weather we’re ‘enjoying’ 🙂

12. Sølvi says:

That cardigan is absolutely wonderful! I´ll say it´s worth it´s nine months of work. And the color works so well for you. Gorgeous! 🙂

13. Erin Cumming says:

Ridiculously beautiful!

14. Sarah says:

I adore this cardigan! I have Heartfelt, too, and am really wanting to knit this. 🙂 Great, job!

15. Ashley0107 says:

What a pretty cardigan! Those buttons are so lovely.
    Also, I love your lipstick 🙂

16. Beautiful cardigan! I love knitting with thin yarn, so I often do that trick of making the larger size, when the pattern calls for something bulkier. Doesn’t it feel great to have the knowledge to bend the project to meet your needs?

17. Love it!! NIce knitty work. Debbie Bliss patterns I have to do a small, Kim ones I am always a L or XL. Finds kind of wierd.

18. regardsless of how long it took or what detours where necessary, it is beautiful and the hem, oh my, with the little triangle details, it is indeed to die for. I think the colour really suits you 🙂

19. As usual, I add my voice to the chorus. It’s a lovely cardie; and it looks comfy as well as warm, with just the right amount of drape. By the way, nine months isn’t all that long to make a cardigan. My longest knitting project was 25 years. But I finished it! Well, sort of; I had to do a fix to fix what hadn’t gone right, but, you know, nine months? Barely more than standard operating procedure!

20. kaitui_kiwi says:

I was given two Kim Hargreaves books as a gift, that girl makes me want to learn to knit (and be awesome at it) so bad! Gorgeous colour xx

21. Patty says:

Lovely sweater….in lovely color. Nice work!

22. It’s a pretty colour & style on you Karen – perfecto with your skirt ….I am still knitting my Kim Hargreaves “Wisdom” cardi – I think this is more than 9 months now – I shall have to look up when I first posted about it. I need to get knitting!! The books are so expensive, but like you, I plan to make more than just the one & there are such dreamy knits …(I might go for a hat or scarf next, or yes, something chunky!)

23. Joanne says:

Aeh that’s just gorgeous. Wish I could knit…!

24. Roobeedoo says:

Gorgeous! Now wasn’t that worth waiting for? 😉
    I really like the double-button feature and the eyelets and the picot edge – ooh pretty much everything really! I don’t think I have ever knit a Kim Hargreaves pattern, but that’s probably because I find actual garments terribly boring to knit – my yellow cardigan looks like it will have a (woolly) mammoth gestation period too!

25. alibobs says:

oooh, lovely! I like the eyelets – simple but very pretty.
    I love Debbie Bliss Cashmerino 🙂
    If that took 9 months I should probably start knitting ready for winter, but I am hesitant as I don’t know how/if I can get the fit right (I am so used to doing serious FBAs when sewing, I have no idea how to do that in yarn). I knitted a cardigan as a teenager but it was so bulky and chunky I barely wore it. I fell a shopping trip coming up…

26. MrsC says:

Karen lovely, can I recommend a look at this brand? http://www.rareyarns.co.nz/ NZ is the home of the best wools in the world, if I may say so myself, and this company’s range I think is delicious. 🙂 Plus it is owned by two hard case wonderful ladies and their retail shop in Nelson NZ has won the local Top Shop award two years running so their customer service is tops. 🙂 Love the pretty cardy btw, especially with that gorgeous skirt!

27. gail says:

It’s really beautiful, and you’re right – it’s just perfect with that skirt!

28. Marie says:

Ayayaya! She’s a beauty Karen and so are you…a match made in heaven I say! I love the little peplum-like detail round the bottom! Nine months isn’t shabby in my slow-knitting book! Just the other day I posted a progress report on my jumper…I’m only half way through and it’s taken over 3 months! Yours looks like it’s sewn together so beautifully, I’ve asked my readers if they have any tips on this as I’m really nervous about the finish process, so if you have any I’d be sooo grateful if you could pop over and let me know here:http://asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/panelled-effect-ladys-jumper-progress.html

29. erin says:

Such a pretty cardigan,lovely colour and design.

30. Ooh, I love it! And the color is fabulous, so perfect for spring. I’m glad it was worth all the sizing and gauge trials and tribulations! I have frequently knit a different size with larger or smaller needles than the pattern calls for, to get the right size. What a pretty cardigan!

31. Sam says:

That is such a pretty cardigan, and looks gorgeous with that skirt. I have that pattern book, but haven’t knitted anything from it yet…. this cardi could well be the first I attempt!

32. Meg says:

What a marvelous color!!

33. Alex says:

Beautiful colour!

34. Maryom says:

Love the fancy edging! Not sure I’d go for the sleeves – think they’d make my arms look too fat, so I’d replace them with straight ones.

35. Bridget says:

The reason it came up so small is that baby cash merino is not a Dk wool – it’s inbetween a 4-ply and a DK weight. I only discovered this myself after crocheting a granny square blanket with both baby and normal cash merino wool and having aright old higgeldy piggeldy mess on my hands!

36. Bridget says:

Also meant to say that it looks fab too!

37. quiltyknitwit says:

Absolutely beautiful! What lovely work you do.

38. Pingback: Happy Bloggerversary to me! | Another Little Crafty Creation