Elle Fait Paris

Hello, my lovely friends! Thank you all so much for your brimming enthusiasm around the Pattern Pyramid. I’m thrilled to bits and only sorry I couldn’t properly engage with comments on the launch post. I was otherwise occupied, cheering my boyfriend over the Londre-Paris finish line for the third year running. Here he is, swigging some much deserved champagne at the end:

Yes, that is a Scotch Malt Whisky Society cycling top.

Whilst in Paris, it would have been very, very rude of me not to visit the fabric district in Montmartre. (My first visit documented here.) So visit it, I did!

I was shopping with two family members, both of whom joined in with enthusiasm! Here we are outside probably our favourite shop, Les Coupons de Saint Pierre. They sell pre-cut three metre lengths for five euros a pop. Happy days!

You can even buy wool in the fabric district:

The below is my new find, the store Sacres Coupon. I nearly spent £45 here on some bone-coloured broderie anglaise until I remembered that my stash box is overflowing with fabrics for summer dresses:

Whilst in Paris, I also indulged in some crochet and biere blanche:

And adapted art galleries into sewing snap backdrops:

Me in my V1247

Oh, I almost forgot! What fabric did I buy?

Eight metres in total, for 22 Euros. ‘Bargainacious!’ as I chirruped during the shopping trip.

What next, now that I’m back home – again? I am determined to finish work on my Simplicity 4934 vintage pattern. Correctomundo! I have indeed been distracted from this project by a return to work, summer makes and trips to Paris. What have you been up to? Any distractions?

A bientot!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Elle Fait Paris

1. Debby says:

Oh gosh my kind of holiday (again). I am glad that there are others like me who hunt out the fabric shops on a trip or outing and who take something with them to do, in my case sewing and knitting, it would also be crotchet if I could actually learn and remember how to do a granny square. I can feel the excitement of setting eyes on a fabric shop and being overwhelmed by choice. Love it fab photos and post as always.

2. Ooooh thank you so much for posting this! I am going to Paris at the end of July and I had no idea there was a fabric district.How exciting!

3. Congratulations to the runner, and oooooh, hellooo, my former neighborhood (in winter, I could see this merry-go-round from my window :))! I’m glad you found Sacrés Coupons, this one was my absolute favorite, the one where I was the more likely to find gems / rare designer fabrics. Not the cheapest, but still not that expensive for the quality.

Have you noticed that they have a second less-attractive-from-the-outside shop next to this one, specialized in knit, laminated, leather, weird stuff, and sometimes things like giant spool of serger thread for 1,50€? By weird stuff, I mean more technical stuff, things like a wonderful wooly looking, super thick, padded with foam and quilted Yves St Laurent quilted fabric they sold by panels – I made an iPad cover with it and still have some. Another good thing to know about Sacrés Coupons, in case you don’t know it already: if you don’t need the 3 meters, they can cut the remnant in half (or a different fraction: as long as they have 1,50m left, they’ll cut it). I don’t think the other shops ould do it (except perhaps for very pricey fabric).

Thanks for this post full of good memories! Can you imagine what it was like to live in that neighborhood? And can you imagine the extent of my stash, even after a drastic purge before we moved to another continent? 😀

4. So that’s where you’ve been (I was worried…)!
    Love the seersucker you got. I’d be very interested in what you make with it: I’ve never given seersucker a go, even though I love the tactile and cool nature of it.

5. punkmik says:

wow! That looks like a lovely trip! I just convinced my boyrfriend to have a get away in Paris … no selfish reasons! 😛 Thanks for the inspiration!
    I think for me general life has been getting in the way. Oh and I am bridesmaid twice this year, so been organizing hen dos! Unfortunately (or fortunately I am not sure) I dont have to make my own bridesmaids dress. They are already bought. 😛

6. Sam says:

Oooh, that looks as if it was a wonderful trip. I LOVE Paris, particularly Montmartre area. I wasn’t sewing last time I went, so wouldn’t have even thought of looking for fabric shops. Looks like I’m going to have to visit again.

7. Roobeedoo says:

Oh what fun! I searched in vain for fabric shops in Paris – now I know where they are, but I can’t imagine going there again.
    I have been distracted from sewing by knitting and looking at patterns trying to decide what I like!

8. colleen says:

Wow. You are so lucky. I mean, what is it like to be able to take a train of sorts between two of the world’s best cities??? I would like to fly into a jealous rage but I think I’ll finish putting the aqua buttons on my red linen beignet!

9. aleah says:

How fun! Great finds too, I love the print on the jersey, so jealous!
    Also, where can I get a scotch whiskey bike jersey for my husband? That’s awesome. And he certainly did deserve the champagne after that ride!
    I’m hoping to get lots of sewing done in the next few weeks, since my job is wrapping up for a while, but I think I’ll probably end up being distracted by visits and trips too…

10. I love the design on that seersucker. What are you going to do with it? (Please congratulate Ian on his ride, that’s a goodly sort of distance.)

11. Sounds like you had a marvellous time! Naturally I love the gingham and I find the seersucker intriguing. I’m plotting my next make, having spied some fabulous floral cotton in the shape of a Tesco duvet set….

12. So jealous of how easy it is for you to dash off to Paris. I’m traveling vicariously through this post! Distractions…yes I have been bogged down with a bit of craziness called Camp NaNoWriMo, trying to write 50,000 words of a novel in one month. It is seriously cutting into my sewing time and I’m anxious to be DONE. Two more days, 2500 words to go.

13. Trisha says:

That seersucker looks interesting–can’t wait to see how you use it!

14. Pingback: A Mini Too Mini For Me | Did You Make That?

15. Pingback: A Happy Fabric-filled Weekend | Pincushion Treats