Pincushion Treats (Us)

Wow, I’ve just had the best weekend in ages! On Saturday I went to see Gatz, an eight-hour performance of The Great Gatsby where every word of the novel is read out. Twas amazing!

I went on my own because, quite frankly, I didn’t want to worry about whether or not a companion would be enjoying the marathon theatre session and The Great Gatsby is my all-time favourite novel. I just wanted to wallow in it.

But by contrast, Sunday was full of friends! Pincushion Treats had kindly invited a bunch of Sewists over for cocktails and cake. I was wearing my Butterick B5605, which dresses down surprisingly well with a denim jacket and flats. The journey over was interesting.

Crocheting at the bus stop

Whilst crocheting on the top of the bus, I vaguely noticed that we’d slowed to a crawl. When I looked up, this was happening! An absolutely massive festival had brought traffic to a gridlock. Do any readers know what this festival is or might be? It was fascinating! Just another day in London…

Over at Melizza’s, we’d each brought something along. The spread was impressive. When I say ‘impressive’ I mean ‘breathtaking’. When I say ‘breathtaking’ I mean ‘I’ll be exercising every day for the next week to burn off the calories’. We were very, very happy and soon stopped counting slices of cake.

We had a really good chat about blogging, baking, running, patterns, sewing books, blogging, babies, wedding dresses. You know, life! Never, ever will I ever wail, ‘But no one UNDERSTANDS me!’ I was surrounded by people who totally got me yesterday. In the group were:

Pincushion Treats, our magnificent host and mixer of cocktails

Dibs and the Machines

House of Pinheiro

Krafty Kat

SoZo

Pins & Needles

Miss Demeanour

and another lovely friend wearing an awesome Sewaholic dress!

It was lovely to catch up without the distraction of fabric shopping and extremely generous of Pincushion Treats to open up her lovely home. I found it very apt that our hostess had a crocheted pincushion just waiting to be photographed…

Thank you, Pincushion Treats!

14 Responses to Pincushion Treats (Us)

1. It’s was so much fun. Mela was a fantastic host … That pincushion she won on a pincushion swap I was hosting… So cute x

2. punkmik says:

aww this sounds great! And the cake spread looks amazing! This post made me feel all warm and fuzzy! Its great when you can meet up with people who just get you! 😀

3. Roobeedoo says:

What a lovey meet-up! And cake too! 🙂

4. If I had to choose just one of those fabulous weekend treats, I’d be very, very hard-pushed to do so. They both sound just wonderful and the get-together (as well as the carnival en route!) looks pretty wonderful, too.

5. Melizza says:

I am so glad you got to come and had a great time. This morning I had a yummy cup of coffee with some of your delicious lemon drizzle cake. I am tempted to have another piece but I will be nice and save Greg a slice 🙂

6. gingermakes says:

Wowzer, what a group! I’m jealous that you all get to hang out (not to mention the CAKE)!

7. sewbusylizzy says:

I wish I could ‘meet up’! I’m a lonely soul – although funnily enough I just finished Cambie View B in the exact same roses fabric!!

8. shivani says:

so lovely to see you again yesterday! it was such a fun afternoon! I’m so impressed that you sat through Gatz – it’s one of my favourite novels, but I just don’t think I could have lasted the whole show. (I previously sat through a marathon Lord of the Rings back-to-back session at the bfi, so know my limitations!)

• A production of that length does shed a light on how ‘tell’-ey the novel becomes at the end. But they made it hilarious – I’d never seen The Great Gatsby as hilarious before! Witty, yes, but not hilarious. Plus, very interesting, they didn’t cast an achingly handsome man in the role of Gatsby, which meant you had to really think about why Gatsby charms people so, if it isn’t for the obvious reason of being stunning to look at. But most important of all, my bladder stood up to this challenge! (There were four intervals.)

9. Jane says:

Aw, sounds like a fabulous day, especially the cake eating bits! Gutted I couldn’t make it, definitely next time. x

10. Karen looks a lotta fun + baker were enjoyed by all. Ahhh… so wish I coulda joined you ladies 🙂

11. Kat says:

Yey what a great photo of us all. I had such a great time – was lovely to see all you ladies again 😀 Bring on the next meet up!

12. Pingback: Party Makes | Pincushion Treats