Retiring The Crochaliser

It’s a sad day, friends. The Crochaliser has become redundant. I’ve crocheted my 140 Granny squares. In fact, I’ve crocheted over 150 and suddenly realised I needed to – Stop crocheting Granny squares! – or I was in danger of crocheting my way towards 1000.

I couldn’t help it. They made such portable little projects. I came to love my quiet moments on a train with the crochet and a podcast in my earphones. Happily, I’ve realised that this project will continue to be eminently portable for some time to come.

First, I need to add a fuschia border to every single one of those 150 Granny squares:

I’m doing this so that all of my many-coloured squares can be crocheted together in the same shade yarn without any ugly jarring of colours. This is how I’m crocheting them together, following a tutorial from Attic 24:

So, sadness has become happiness. I’m thrilled to see how vibrant my squares look, now that they’re coming together like this. I’m really looking forward to the next chapter in this blanket’s life.

But what to do with that Crochaliser? Chuck it in the recycling bin? Ah well, at least I’ll have the fun of the Crochaliser videos to look back on. I didn’t half make a t*t of myself!

This entry was posted in crochet and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Retiring The Crochaliser

1. I enjoyed those crochaliser posts, they helped to provide colour and cheer not to mention significant hilarity. Thank you. And, yes, probably worthy of a ceremonial trip to the tip!

2. Jacq C says:

I shall be sorry to see it go, brought back many a happy Blue Peter memory!

3. Lynne says:

It’s a dark day in blogland! 🙁 The crochaliser rocked, and the videos were a ray of sunshine!! But, we can look forward to the finished blanket. I do like how you’re joining them together, good luck with the rest of it!

4. ooobop! says:

A sad day indeed. But how happy are those little squares. There’s not many downsides to a workplace within walking distance but the biggest one is the lack of opportunity for reading or portable crafting projects. I’d love to get the crochet hooks out again but not at the expense of sewing time…. not enough of that as it is! That is going to be one beautiful blankie! x

5. Claudine says:

Small crochet projects are so addictive! Your squares look great with the border.

6. gingermakes says:

Congrats! And I LOVE the fuchsia– it’s the perfect choice for a fun blanket!

7. Christine says:

What an amazing little tool! Makes me want to start up granny squares with my own Crochaliser. And congratulations on making so many! That is quite an accomplishment.

8. Lotte says:

Hooray! Congratulations! I love the colours you are using, and look forward to seeing it all sewn up. I recently took to crochet as it’s the perfect little portable habit at work when there are no customers – easily shoved out of sight when someone comes into the shop, and easily picked up again. Hopefully I’ll work out the tension issues, but for now I’m just telling myself that the wobbly peggy squares I’ve already made can go in the middle of the blanket so that the outside can pull them flat! Heehee.

9. Sewing Princess says:

It will be a great blanket! Love the colors you chose!

10. Regina says:

There is nothing like the feel of a hook and yarn in hand! Looking forward to see the completed afghan.

11. Oh that must feel so good to have have sooo many crochet squares. Oh the joy that awaits you when you see that gorgeous blanket laid out on a bed. You lucky gal. You’ll soon forget your grief over the Crochaliser. I remember my very first crochet blanket made at school in grade 3, then I made one in my 20’s purple with black borders. Again you’ve inspired me, I’m becoming quite a little copy cat over here is Australia! I’m going to make 150 crochet squares too! But I’m not too sure ’bout that crochaliser thingy.
    ps. love the joining color. It’s my fav maybe I’ll do mine in the same color…

12. I checked out the tutorial on joining the squares. It’s the best. I have been doing it wrong for 30 yrs. lol. I did often wonder if there was a better way but I never thought to look on the wide web.

13. Elisalex says:

So impressive how many squares you’ve done! But now you’re definitely at the really fun bit where it all comes together… Funny how this glorious British Summer weather -ugh not- makes one want to prepare for the even colder months to come! I’ve just started a new granny blanket, aiming for a double bed spread!!

14. Trisha says:

Love it! It’s going to look so nice with the fuschia border.

What pattern did you use for the granny square? You make it look so easy, maybe I could whip up a hundred or so for a blanket!