True Confessions – I’ve Always Felt Vaguely Disappointed In My Dress Form

P1030073

So this is Zelda. Yeah, um, I never call her that. In fact, I don’t actually talk to my dress form. (That would be wrong. I talk to my reflection in the mirror, instead.)

A year ago, I bought the Adjustoform Supafit Deluxe Dress form. That’s a mouthful! It’s okay. If money had been no object, I’d have sprung for something much better than this – but there’s a limit to what I’m prepared to spend sometimes. I know – crazy!

So, why have I always felt vaguely disappointed in Zelda? She’s just nothing like my figure! Even when I was a pert, youthful woman, I never had bazoomas that looked like this:

P1030065

Part of the issue is down to the vagaries of my own body. My chest measurements are relatively small compared to the rest of my body. I bought Zelda to suit my chest measurements (the next size up had a chest that was too big for me) but this means that the waist and hips have had to be extended to almost their maximum stretch to ‘replicate’ my actual figure. And it’s a very loose replication of my figure!

I know, I know. I could put a bra on this thing and stuff it. I could get one of those skins that you pad out. I can’t be arsed. Plus, do I honestly want a headless mummy sitting in a corner of my home? Not, really. Can you imagine the conversations with visitors? ‘Karen, there’s an approximation of your nude body watching me – it’s freaking me out.’ ‘Yeah, I know. It freaks me out, too.’

What IS Zelda good for?

She’s good for a loose check on whether or not a Work In Progress fits. When I can’t be bothered trying something on, I can at least drape it around the dress form and check that a waistband is large enough.

She’s good for hanging things on when I’m not sewing.

She’s very good for marking hem lengths with the chalk dust blower thingamebob. I specifically ordered this form for the chalk dust blower thingamebob:

P1030071

She has a handy pin cushion and pin tray where her head should be:

P1030075

Um. That’s about it. Oh, and she’s really light to carry – this is important as I’m constantly shoving her around the living room.

What about you? Do you have a dress form? Do you love it or loathe it? Or, like me, do you tolerate it? I wouldn’t be without one now, I just wish I liked Zelda more!

64 Responses to True Confessions – I’ve Always Felt Vaguely Disappointed In My Dress Form

1. I had one just like Zelda that was all wrong for my body and I hated it… though I liked the chalk blower. I ended up giving it away. Then about 6 years ago I bought a 1960s one from ebay that is kind of like a cage in two haves, you put it on and squeeze the wire of the cage to mould it to your body shape. This one is better, Though to be honest it is currently in it’s box in the cupboard, I tend to opt for the lazy option of using a mirror and my own body instead!

2. Wendy says:

I have one very similar to yours, I don’t love her. In fact I have never bothered to name her! I see others that are the exact replica of the owners body, but I don’t think I want one of those in the house either πŸ™‚

3. Anne says:

Yes, I have a Dolly the Dummy as well. Like Zelda, no matter how many times I turn those knobs and dials, she is *nothing* like my body shape. I sometimes think I should do one of those duct tape models of myself or adding a bra to Dolly the Dummy and padding it but, as you said “I can’t be arsed”! πŸ˜€

4. Charlie says:

My dress form is called Flossie. My mum bought her in 1965 when she started the sewing part of her teacher training in home economics. She had the advantage of being free, having lived in my mum’s loft for the last 30 years, but of the key measurements only the hips really match my actual dimensions. I don’t use her for fitting at all, mainly just for hemming and photo shoots. I’ve thought about making one of those tape body forms and putting it over Flossie, but you need someone to help and I really don’t know anyone at all who I’d want to assist with that!

5. Roobeedoo says:

No dummies here! But I do love the look of those solid-bodied vintage mannequins some people use as decorative objects in their homes. I am sad that Zelda didn’t work out for you – I remember you denying yourself lattes to save for her πŸ™

6. 5currantbuns says:

I only just manage to bag space in the “house of boy” for a sewing machine, def. not enough room for a doppelganger…although it would be nice to have another girl around (!) instead of lego, cars and star wars…fortunately my Mum lives round the corner she has a fully adjustable, which we don’t use as one of us wears and the other pins and passes comment

7. makeitgiveit says:

yeah I have a dress form too but I really don’t use it – the shape is kinda odd and it’s darn hard to wangle outfits onto them …. yeah don’t think they’re essential

8. Steph says:

I fel the same way about my dress form… less actually seeing as I can’t figure out how to get the chalk into the hem marker!

9. Sew2pro says:

If you do have a dummy that’s an exact replica of you, then sticking pins in it is not a good idea… Voodoo, you see.

I bought my dressform (a display dummy) because she was good-looking and cheap…. Not professional, I know, but I like her a lot. I’d still dump her for a vintage model if it came with the right price tag.

10. Joanne says:

I’m exactly the same. I long ago have up trying to make my form have my figure, it just wasn’t worth it. . I use it for all the same things you do and also it’s ace for attaching collars and facings with all the natural curves of a human body instead of working on the flat

11. My dress form shoulders are larger then mine so when projects are fitted they don’t really fit on Ruth ( my dress form name) also there is nothing I could do to make her taller as its also at max … The waist and bust point aren’t the same. I have to pin different just to show the same effect

12. dottiedoodle says:

I was so pleased to get mine, but mainly use it for taking photos of the things I’ve made!

13. Cleveclogs says:

Delia the dummy is wonderful when I sew with knits- if it stretches across her shoulders and bust it will be right on mine. If it just stretches across her padded belly it will perfect on mine now that gym sessions have reduced me a little. The ribbon at her hip is a line for the hem and she’s a good spot to store the work in progress on. (0r works- there are days when she is wearing so many garments that if she were menopausal me she’d be flushing up a thunderstorm..) But she does take up room space, and for some reason i feel vaguely uncomfortable leaving her naked in her beige cover. So she wears my dressing gown when she doesn’t have a work in progress on)

14. Marie says:

I feel exactly the same about my Diana dress form, you couldn’t have echoed my thoughts any better Karen!

15. Anne W says:

I don’t have one, I just use me and a mirror.

16. CoudreMode says:

I had a Dritz form for years, which is basically the same one you have. Hated it and finally I got a professional pinnable dress form with collapsible shoulders, rolling feet and a skirt cage. Best sewing investment I never made! Professional forms are not that expensive anymore and Ebay is a good place to find one.

17. annie says:

Yes, I have one and I love it. My husband wrapped me in the plaster gauze that they use to cast up broken limbs, the quick drying type, When it dried he cut it off. taped it together again and filled it with that foam insulation stuff. We bought it on-line as the canned variety that you buy in a DIY didn’t do the trick. (Though all the articles say it will!) After that I fitted some knit jersey over its rough exterior. It is very lightweight and easy to move on its stand. Now if I had unlimited funds and wanted to spread them around, I’d love a real custom-made, like a Wolf. But this is a pretty good imitation. And yes, it does occasionally give me a start when I walk into a room and it’s standing there,

18. Erika says:

I actually have two Diana dressforms (both of them I got for free… curtesy of mom and gran), only one in the appartement right now but planning on setting them both up. I agree – the fit is useless and I can’t pin anything on it. It’s great for storing projects, though, and a lifesaver for marking hems!
    The outside was taken care of by after I had made a toile of my sloper pattern I put it on the dummy. An old bra and some padding underneeth the toile and voila! It (almost) looks like me. The beige fabric is utterly boring though, and a bit too much skin-coloured. I’m planning on making a new cover, in some pale, neutral but pretty fabric so it’s obviously not a person! Right now I always have either a project for it or my dressing robe.
    I don’t love it, but it is a useful tool, and I’m very happy to have it.

Oh, why two? The one I have now is a bit big over the back, so I’m planning to do a basic sloper for my sister and put on that one, and then take up the other from storage and set it up for me =)

19. Matilda bears some resemblance to me, but she has more stomach and less bum than I do. I dialed my high bust measurement to get my narrow chest and shoulders accurate and put a stuffed bra on her. She wears a summer dress all the time and is a great place for WIPs. She lives in the spare bedroom/sewingroom, and it would be weird to be naked in front of visiting family members.

20. Lin2Too says:

I have this model and I did pad it out – to be honest – it didn’t take more than an hour one weekend. I put an old T shirt on it, padded out the waist, slipped another Tshirt over the top and then futzed with it until it was more or less me. Granted, the extraordinarily perky bust is harder to over come but I have made it more me-like with my middle-aged middle.

21. I sometimes feel a bit sad that I don’t use it more for things like fitting but that’s because my shape is nothing like the dress form’s. It’s frustrating to stand in front of the mirror struggling to fit something when there’s a dummy in the hall that can’t be used! I’m too lazy to make a dress form to my measurements and smear myself in plaster (or whatever they do!). I don’t use mine for much more than hanging WIPs or FOs on. I’ve never figured out how to use the chalk thingy – I’m too lazy to do hems that way!

22. BeingZhenya says:

I really want to get a dress form, I’ve read all sorts of article, from making your own dress form, to buying the expensive kind! I think I will try and find something on CraigsList πŸ™‚

23. trainlady says:

When I scored my dress form on super clearance at Joann’s, I named her something elaborate, but since I never address her, I’ve forgotten what that was. Isn’t that sad?

If I’m counting on her to help with fitting, she wears a stuffed bra. She always wears one of my husband’s black, close-fighting t-shirts to help with whatever modesty I have. If I have a project on the go, she is wearing whatever will hang from her shoulders.

I do like her. I think she helps with checking the hang of things and approximating fit.

24. Steph A says:

I would LOVE to have a dress form, as I’m getting so utterly fedup with standing in front of a mirror trying to figure out how to pin out fabric without sticking myself. So, next month I’m making my own, with my husband or mum as helper. I’ve thought about the plaster cast method, but it seems tricky and messy – I’d love to hear from those who did this method. Instead, I’m going to follow the method I saw on Burdastyle.com, just search for “dress form”. It’s a 2 step process: first you make a paper tape form, then use that as the mould for a (felt-covered) paper mache form. I’ve found the paper tape already, and have started making notes (I’ll be posting about this adventure as I go). I can’t wait to start! Having a doppleganger would really speed up the whole process of fitting.

25. i bought one similar to yours because it was 50% off and seemed a steal. i named her dot. i hoped her presence would evolve me quickly into dressmaking and tailoring. it hasn’t happened yet (i know, it was a delusion). however, she does make me want to improve my posture – maybe then i would more closely resemble dot’s audrey hepburn-ness!

26. Heather Mayfield says:

I am a “hem, hem” larger woman and I have always hated my adjustable dress form,: too flimsy, too brittle, never the right size etc, etc. My sewing life has been transformed by buying a vintage dressmakers form , built for a specific customer “Mrs Leavinton” it is very solid and correctly heavy. Mrs Leavington was probably an older lady she clearly was a bit stout, whilst her measurements don’t match mine they are so much closer than the adjustable one. She is also properly marked with tailors ribbon and you can pin onto her and move fabric about without her toppling or sliding around. Cost Β£50 at an antiques fair because she isn’t beautiful – money very well spent.

27. Angela says:

OH my, how funny! And, I completely understand. I have a dressform, it looks much like yours. And, like yours, her “ta-tas” are definitely perkier than mine! LOL! And.. I bought it to get the bust right, but let’s just say I’ll need to do a lot of padding before her bum and belly are near mine – even at the largest setting on the dial! Gulp… On second thought, maybe seeing a padded form that really looks like me would be enough incentive to drop 40 pounds…. too scary to imagine though… my kids would have nightmares of a headless me without clothes to cover the bulges! LOL!!! Ok, I haven’t laughed this much in awhile…

28. I was going to buy a dress form in February/March and I did a lot of research. In the end, the money I set aside went to something else, but I think my real hesitancy is that so many people are dissatisfied with their dress forms. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on something to realize that it didn’t live up to my expectations and just sits in the corner. I’m sure I’ll buy one at some point, but I find myself very slow to make the commitment to a dress form.

29. Lashell says:

I have a dress form and I only use it for small adjustments. Like if there is excess fabric across the shoulder on the form I know that I will have the same problem on my body. This helps me adjust my pattern before cutting into my fashion fabric. I did add a stuffed bra to my form since that is my most prominent feature. This helps me line up my bust darts on my test garment. I do wish I had professional dress form built to my measurements as I would love to do draping. You just can’t seem to do that with these plastic inexpensive dress forms. I hope to buy one someday but I have to first justify the purchase to myself.

30. Alexandra says:

This makes me feel SO MUCH BETTER about not having a dress form… I did think about asking for one for Christmas or my birthday, but I don’t have anywhere to store one in the house!

31. Sewing princess says:

I don’t have a dress form. I’ve considered buying a professional one (alva) but they are awfully expensive and not available in Europe yet. Reading your comments makes me think pinning on me may still be a better option!

32. sewforward says:

I just purchased a better dress form than the one I currently own. I have padded my old one to my shape; however, it is too big in the shoulders so it really isn’t a good match for me. Hopefully, I will have better success with my next one. I have been researching dress forms for about a year now and I think I know more about dress forms than I ever did, but I think I am more confused about them as well πŸ™‚

33. Dancingnance says:

I had a dress form like yours, but it sat unused because, as you said, it looked nothing like me. I had seen scads of YouTube videos of people making duct tape dress forms. It seemed daunting and I procrastinated for years, but I finally got desperate enough to try it…and IT WORKED!!!!! I now have a very good replica of my body with all it’s lumps, bumps and not so perky parts. It takes a really good friend to agree to wrap you in several layers of duct tape, but it does generate lots of giggles along the way.

34. I really like mine! It’s one of the Lady Valet adjustable ones. It doesn’t match my shape perfectly even after padding but it’s so much better than nothing for fitting. I also find works in progress crease so much less when I hang them on the form. But the feet do fall off unexpectedly at times!

35. I have Maude and Vera. My hubby bought Maude for me – but she was too large for my size, so I got Vera, her slimmer sister. I do actually use these quite alot, especially when i was making dresses for other people. I used some wadding and pinned it to the basic shape to make the figure about right. I am quite fortunate in that if I set Vera up carefully she does reflect my figure. however the joints are a little weak and sometimes slide, so I have to tighten them frequently.

36. Sewer from Across the Pond says:

I don’t have a dress form. At some point I will look for a used form two sizes below my size and get someone to help me pad it (which won’t be cheap), or if I’m really flush with cash, have one custom made. Fit is everything to me.

I’ve always been skeptical of those adjustable forms. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Sewer from Across the Pond says:

I’ve been told not to waste my time with the duct tape dress form projects one sees posted all the time. A few years ago, I bought a DVD that explained how to create a form out of paper mailing tape, but then I realized that the website didn’t offer a princess line pattern to use as a skin in a small enough size. I also had no one to help me.

I like to save money as much as the next person, but I’d rather spend the money and do something the right, semi-professional way than to pour hours into a DIY project that doesn’t pan out.

37. LLADYBIRD says:

I hate my dressform. It’s mostly there to look good in my sewing room, and to hang things off of when I don’t want the cat lounging on them. I have something similar to yours (although it’s a Dritz), and I padded it out with a Fabulous Fit kit. It doesn’t fit my clothes at all, though – which always confused me (I mean, I spent hours messing with that thing and as a result, the measurements are spot on). I’ve figured it out, though – my back and ribcage are FAR smaller than the dress form, which is why it’s bigger than my clothes, even though the measurements are the same. So weird!

This hurts my heart, though, because I wanted to eventually save up and get one of those real fancy Wolfe ones. But even if I get one in a similar measurement – the frame is going to be the wrong size. Wah wah, woe is me.

• Sewer from Across the Pond says:

It’s fascinating how two people can have the same measurements and yet look quite different. It’s a question of how the weight is distributed as well as the underlying bone structure.

You might want to look for a form that is significantly smaller than you — I’ve been told to go to sizes below — and then build up the form from there.

38. colleen says:

I have a dress form that I’ve never used. I don’t know why. She stands in the window, a really great scarf tied around her headless neck. She is gray and her name is: Acme. I think I don’t use her because I don’t want to be disappointed in the results……

39. Lisa says:

I have a dressform that I LOVE! I got this one from All Brands

I work in the industry and this is like what we use (but MUCH less expensive version). It isn’t adjustable, but I’ve never had much luck with those adjustable ones anyway πŸ™‚
    PS, I love your blog, but my computer was not letting me post comments in it until now

40. Louisa says:

I have a dress form named Debbie Double that my husband helped me make with gummed paper tape in a similar method to the duct tape ones. I stuffed her with wadded newspapers, covered her with dark cloth and DH made her a stand to my exact height. Total cost about $10 for the tape (purchased from the local butcher!) and the rest of the materials were already on hand. Debbie has transformed my dressmaking results! She still isn’t perfect but there is no way that a commercial dress form would match my non-standard shape this closely – right down to my lower right shoulder. I still do a lot of fitting on myself but some things are just easier to do on someone else. Debbie is very patient and holds still while I stick her with pins. I love her.

41. Joyful says:

I had Doris but she was all wrong size wise. I think she got fed up just standing around being ignored and she stated to tilt sideways and started falling over! Spooky! I sent her to the charity shop!! Goodbye Doris

42. Sarah says:

I have a duct tape dress form that I made in a class at a local fabric store and it works pretty well. It took all afternoon to make as it has 3 or 4 layers of duct tape, each going in perpendicular directions and then is stuffed with quilt padding. Queen Brulee is her name and her “legs” are an Ikea stool with a top diameter just smaller that Queenie’s “bottom” and legs that make her about as tall as me. She has all the same key measurements as me, although a few odd ripples that fabric mostly skims over anyway. I use the Queen for fitting pattern tissues and draping new ideas/pattern modifications. I have a separate box of pins that I use on her because all pins going into her come out with a gummy residue that wouldn’t be good on patterns or fabric. Sometimes it’s so hard to pull the pins out that the pin head comes off and I have to get out the pliers to pull out the rest of the pin. The tailors lines are narrow seam tape fastened on by small-headed pins and sometimes they stick out a little and snag the tissue or fabric. I can’t say I love her, but I do use her and it was about $50 for the class and $15 in materials, so a pretty good value.

43. I use my dress form all the time, she has not been named however. I find her very useful for pinning anything that I am making and for aiding photographs, in her dressed form she appears on my blog far more often than I. The only time I was slightly concerned was when I came back to find her with a giant lego head attached giving her a somewhat robotic hybrid quality.

44. Alex in California says:

I have 3 dress forms: small, medium and large (all found at thrift stores and fleamarkets) and two mens’ suit forms. All useful in helping me to advance my skills.

45. Molly says:

Dressforms aren’t designed to perfect fit, just to gain an approximation in the absence of a client/helper if you’re fitting yourself, but would always be followed up with an actual human fitting which then would correct areas not achievable on the form. Because human structure and weight distribution varies so much its hard to achieve an exact replica anyway but also, humans are squidgy, forms are not. So when we cram ourselves into tight frockage (say a boned, strapless dress) our squidge moves around a bit, which affects measurements etc and is why something that fits the form won’t fit us in the same way and vice versa. They are great as you say for hemming, looking at pocket, button and decorative placements, hand-sewing curved areas and trimmings, etc and being able to stand back and get a good idea of what the finished garment will look like. I also use mine to steam and spot clean garments instead of ironing them. When I am choosing fabric to put together, I like to drape and pin them on the form and look at them from a distance or different angles/light etc. and also to play with different fabric effects (pleating, ruching, etc) when I am designing. I wouldn’t be without a dress form because they make so many jobs easier, just like any good sewing tool.

My number one is Diana, I paid around Β£100 for her in 2000 before I went to uni and she’s been with me ever since (and we have moved a lot!). She is a faithful companion but currently resigned to bodices only as somebody (not me) accidentally hoovered into her and broke her stand. I initially gaffer taped it back together but she looked slightly tipsy (literally tipsy, not drunk, although she may have been). I emailed the company to buy a replacement, they only took cheques, I had no chequebook… Every so often I think, must email them again to discover if they still sell the part I need and have updated to modern methods of payment. She’s an 8 dial, so length and width adjustable, usually wears a padded bra, but her minimum measurements only just about match mine, her back is wider than mine and she doesn’t have collapsible shoulders so while she is fine with stuff with design ease, I can’t do strapless or corset work on her for me or anyone smaller. I did consider making a moulage cover for her to better approximate my shape but I can’t get her measurements small enough to allow for padding. I do draping on her as she has a pinable cover.

I have a second form, called Manny. She is a very old blue thing, from the ’70s maybe, and most of her blue cover has peeled away now to reveal the fragile, plastic shell. Around her waist is a thick belt of gaffer tape. That holds her together. I use her for people with tiny measurements and hemming.

I have a third I keep at work, it is a modern “vintage” look dummy, its for decorative purposes mostly, I guess, but because its got a Victorian lady’s shape to it, its really useful for working on period costumes which don’t sit so well on the pert, modern forms. I’ve just realised she doesn’t have a name yet, so I am going to call her Rose.

I very nearly bought a male mannequin recently which was selling second hand for pennies, I regret now that I didn’t, as I do a fair bit of mens’ costume albeit currently worn by Diana. But, at the time, I told myself it was not acceptable to have more mannequins in the house than actual living people…

I will almost certainly in the next year or so buy a 1/4 scale form as I test my designs at that ratio often, but that will have to come from the States as they are rare and pricey over here. I have also, several times, nearly bought child sized forms for working on clothes for my daughter as she is not a good model! I might get a junior one once she reaches the right age for it. And one day I’d love to own a pants-form with collapsible shoulders but that day is years away yet… When I do, I’ll retire Diana but I don’t think I could get rid of her, she’s been with me the whole of my career in sewing and I’m way too nostalgic.

46. kiwiendormi says:

It’s interesting to hear your experience with your dress form. I haven’t purchased one for the same reason you are dissatisfied with yours… the concern that it wouldn’t approximate my figure very well. But then again, I haven’t really looked that extensively. — Adrienne

47. Kelly says:

I have a Dritz that my mom bought at a yard sale. She has no name, but I think she should. She is a little wobbly and I’m not sure why. But I did pad her to match me, as well as I could. I stuffed a bra and put that on her, then I used some foam meant for chair cushions and some quilt batting to pad her belly and her bum. (Also two shoe strings, an elastic bandage, and a mile of tape!) Over all that I pulled a tight fitting grey camisole. I didn’t get her belly as close an approximation to mine as I would have liked, but it’s close. My fitting issues are in the bust so that’s what was most important to me. She sports a lovely scarf on her poor headless neck. I haven’t had her very long so I don’t know yet how useful she will be. But I am optimistic!

48. Amy says:

I have my Grandma’s old form. It’s adjustable in a million different ways, but I’ve never gotten it quite perfect. I do like it though. Ideally, I would have one that would allow me to tape style lines and such to – I think it would be fun to do more draping. I’m sure all I need todo is stuff and cover the one I have, but, like you, I can’t be bothered currently.

49. BeaJay says:

I got a Diana dress form for my birthday and I love it. Only because I purchased what seemed like a king sized mattress full of foam / wadding and padded it out to my measurements. I used the Fabulous Fit system – plus more wadding – an old t-shirt – plus more wadding – an old bra – plus more wadding – and managed to get her measurements very close to mine.

Being a plus plus plus sized lady there are very few patterns that are come in my size so I use Babs a lot for tissue paper fitting as that is hard to do on body (ouch with the pins). It helps me to see where I need to add more paper to the pattern.

Babs has been very helpful but I did need to put a bit of time into padding her.

If you want to see how she turned out you can see on:

50. Kat H says:

I got sooooo excited when I found a Singer adjustable dress form second-hand about 8 years ago (they’re crazy expensive to buy new over here, and I just couldn’t justify it!!). So, so excited. Then I took it home. Yeah. Well.

Lets just say I never named it. I tried to use it once, hated it, and shoved it in a corner.

I’ve been meaning to sell it off second-hand for about 6 years now. It’s still sitting in a corner in another room. Doesn’t match any part of my figure, feels cheap and nasty (despite the fact that the same forms retail for around $300 over here), and I just don’t see myself using it. Ever. *sigh*

51. I have Dolly and I love her, she’s not exactly like me but near enough, she had those perky boobs till i got her in one of my bras and padded it out and put on a tight t shirt – bit more like a 47 year old – thank you very much! When I don’t use her I put a slip on her and a ribbon chocker with a rose and she brightens up my workroom. My daughter hugs her and my husband squeezes her boobs – but he’s weird that way!
    If you don’t mind me saying so, but your girl is a bit tragic, she’s standing there with all her bits and bobs on show and those boobs!- say no more. If I were you I would spend some time on her, get a sloper basic block bodice of your measurements, cut out in a sturdy furnishing type fabric,(like those toile du joy,) stitch it on her and fill her out with wadding etc, and when your not using her, put your necklaces/hats/broaches etc on her. That’s of course if you still have some feelings but if the loves gone then you should let her go, she may find happiness elsewhere and you can look out for another and put it down to experience.

52. Michelle says:

I had a dress form. Her name was Magda. She took up a lot of space. I used her once or twice. I sold her last month for what I paid for her.

I don’t miss Magda in the slightest. I am the best dress form I know.

53. I love my dress form KellyGirl2. My husband and I made her. She is a duct tape dummy. It was a blast. That was 12 years ago. She is from neck to mid thigh. She is on a large pole and then on rolling feet (from an old office chair). So she is my height and easy to roll around. She has had to have a little padding added over the years, but she is wonderful. For pattern fitting, draping, and wearing current projects. The only downside, is I have to ensure she is ‘dressed’ when company comes over. (-;

54. sewbusylizzy says:

Me too – I’ve recently bought a second and will see if it’s better. My old one was most disobedient. Everytime I tried to get bust to go out, the waist would pop out beyond my measurements. Clearly she didn’t believe me!

55. I have a somewhat similar one too, Notasha (Not Tasha), and she’s okay but I don’t lover her. I have a short waist and that’s of course the one adjustment I can’t make higher. And the day I realized I couldn’t fit a dress on her with a 9″ side zip, I shouted at her “you aren’t me!” because of course I can get it on my head since I can move my shoulders. So I mostly use it when I hem. Of course, not when I hem a dress into which I’ve inserted a zipper… πŸ˜›

56. Reyna Lay says:

I had a Zelda dress form that was given to me by a friend, but I hated it, mostly because I tried pinning and it just wouldn’t pin! Also, I tried draping and if I used just a tad bit too much it would fall over bc of the weight so forget about any fabric besides very light cotton and chiffons. I finally got a scholarship and used that money towards a professional PGM dress form in my size. Yes, it’s headless, but it is pinnable, I can drape on it with lots of fabrics, and it looks so pretty that most people who come over love it. Plus, a head on there would freak me out, like the hairdresser heads, those freak me out! lol. It was a hefty price, but I think since I am majoring in fashion design it’s an investment for me. I finally gave the Zelda dress form to another friend for free and she uses it just to make sure the fittings are ok, but not for much else. One day you should save & splurge on a nice dress form, you will LOVE IT! πŸ™‚

57. surfjewels says:

I got a similar dress form a while back after looking at them for ages. I don’t have so many size issues, as I found a bra that I didn’t like as it was too padded, but was perfect to get the size just right on the dress form. I do know what you mean, the fit isn’t exact, mainly because it has no arms and I do (surprisingly), so it isn’t always perfect for checking fit, but I do like it for getting the back right, which can be very hard to do on yourself. I like you use it to put half finished sewing projects on!

Hannah.