Amerson Undies – Ants In My Pants!

Amerson Undies

This is the lovely new Amerson Undies free pattern from Madalynne. Now, aren’t they gorgeous? I found myself very pleasantly surprised with this make. Attaching elastic to a fragile silk/cotton lawn? I was bound to foul up. Plus, there’s always the fit. We all know how important a well-fitting pair of pants are. I’d kind of resigned myself to failure, but…

Guys, these undies rock!

They are uber-flattering, comfie and cool. Plus look at the ickle ribbon and button! (I recommend attaching something to the front of your undies, just so that you can work out which way to put your pants on in the morning.)

Amerson Undies Details

The fabric was a gift from Huggie Does Homespun – thanks, Huggie! The pattern came for free. The only thing I had to buy here was the knicker elastic. The little ribbon bow was liberated from an old pair of M&S finest cotton knickers, which I also hacked into to create the diamond-shaped pieces of jersey for the crotch lining. Even your shabby old knickers can be refashioned, people!

Amerson Undies Full View

Madalynne has supplied this pattern for free, asking in return only that people give her constructive feedback. So here’s my constructive feedback:

• Please, oh please, I will love you for EVAH if you mark Centre Front and Centre Back seam lines on the pattern pieces. The first instruction tells us to sew CF and CB seams together, except I didn’t know which these were – and promptly overlocked all seams together in completely the wrong order. Fortunately, I was able to rescue my work and start again. Pattern Designers Of The World – please assume that all Sewists are at least half as dim as me!
  • I’d also suggest that the instructions for stitching on the elastic are more comprehensive. There’s a bit of assumed knowledge about making sure the elastic is equally distributed.
  • There have already been a few comments about the range of sizes. I sewed the largest size and they fit like a dream. These undies are probably pretty easy to grade up or down, but it would still be nice to see a more varied range of body size acknowledged in the pattern itself.
  • Labelling of sizes are from extra small to extra large. I’d suggest finding another way of labelling. Am I extra large? Define extra large! Numbers are so much less … judgemental. At least in the world of sewing patterns where numbers are so much more … random! (I gave up a long time ago trying to judge myself on what pattern number I am.)

These are cute, cute, cute. I’ve always been extremely cynical about sewing underwear. Yeah, yeah, I used to think. I’ll pay M&S for my five pairs to a pack, thanks. But these have totally swayed me. Ideal for using up scraps, crying out for personal embellishment, you can be confident of your natural fibres in these undies, and they will be a dream to wear in hotter climates. They’re not for wearing beneath tight-fitting layers, but that’s why we invest in seam free knickers.

If, on the other hand, you’re looking for something a bit more fun, this pattern could give Agent Provocateur a run for its money. Has anyone made these in silk? I’d love to make a pair in silk…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Amerson Undies – Ants In My Pants!

1. Fwaire says:

These are so cute!! I might have to try it myself at some point…

2. Maggie says:

I love that fabric! Underwear is definitely something I never really thought about sewing until all these adorable patterns starting popping up!

3. maddie says:

I’m extremely happy that these worked out for you. It was hard for me to release them for free so that I could get everyone’s feedback – it was hard hearing all of my mistakes but it was an excellent lesson. I’m only going to get better. And the fabric you chose makes is divine. Silk!

4. sallie says:

Adorable! This pattern is laying in wait for me and all my silky scraps that I’m never sure what to do with! I just need to buy myself some lingerie elastic. I love that there are free underwear patterns out there. Like you, I’ve always been more inclined to buy my unmentionables, but when the pattern is free and the scraps are at hand and the make is so quick…I mean… why not??

5. Anne W says:

Cute! Now I know what to use my scraps on…

6. CGCouture says:

I downloaded this, and have some scraps to test them out on, but haven’t gotten to it yet. Though if you are the largest size….. 😯 🙁

7. I love that these are actually partially refashioned!! 🙂
    You’re right, they would be incredible in silk…

8. Fiona says:

My goodness, if you need the extra large there’s no hope for me!

9. huggiebaby says:

OMG! I never squeal but now I’m gonna! EEEEEEeeeeeeee! They are actually too cute. What a fantastic way to use that fabric. I’m so going to end up giving you more just because it’s fun to see what you do with it 🙂

10. Miriana says:

These are so cute, Karen! And I love your fabric choice.

11. liza jane says:

Roobeedoo stole my thoughts exactly! Snazzy pants!

12. Aleksandra says:

Really cute! I love the elastic you used. I looked high and low for cute elastic, but the store near me had zilch. And yours came out so much flatter than mine, too! Mine roll up into a ball unless they’re stretched open… maybe it’s the elastic? Funnily enough I did the same thing you did — seamed up the wrong CF and CB! Glad I’m not the only dim sewist around. lol

13. you said it yourself…your undies do rock!

14. Danielle says:

Cute! Free pattern? I’ll always check out a free pattern! Thanks for sharing 🙂

15. I have some great fabric I could use for these. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the work. Makes something that has always seemed so daunting look easy.

16. Sabs says:

Lovely, especially the one with red elastic and button. I keep meaning to try making knickers but can’t find knicker elastic anywhere! I think a trip to a proper haberdashery is in line soon, you’ve inspire me.

17. I love the idea of a button/bow on the front so you know which way to put them on in the morning! Glad to know I am not the only person who resembles a mole first thing 😉

18. I have this pattern and can’t wait to start, your pants are fab that fabric looks perfect, appreciate the tips

19. ZoSews says:

These are too cute!!

20. Sufiya says:

I recently garnered a tip from a lingerie book (Sewing Lingerie That Fits” by Karen Morris, a GREAT book that I highly recommend for everyone’s sewing library) that recommended one to NOT distribute the elastic around the legs of underpants ‘evenly”-but to distribute MORE of it towards the BACK of the leg opening, in order to prevent the dreaded “wedge”! Such a simple, logical tip! Here’s the exact quote:

“Many instruction books direct you to divide the panty leg and elastic evenly in quarters marking with pins or dots and matching the marks during stitching That’s where the problem comes in! Instead, apply the elastic on leg openings unevenly. There should be little easing or gathers at the FRONT of the leg and the bulk of the fullness should be placed at the lower-back area of the leg This allows enough fabric in back to cup under your curves and stay put all day!”

21. Nina says:

Sonia from Fabric & Flowers sent me this way because I’m thinking of sewing underwear, and ooh, these are amazing! They look like the Liberty knickers from Brora that are about a million pounds a pair. Love the recycling of old knickers for the gussets, too!

22. Pingback: Amerson Undies – Free Pattern | Did You Make That?

23. I’m a bit behind, in my reading although I do remember this post from a while back. I’ve just popped in today after seeing your London Landscape Undies. So I know I’m late to the party but what you said here about sizing is just sooo right! I knew it, I think we all knew but few ever figure out the words to explain just why S, M & L etc are just plain wrong! Right, now, that’s said I’m off for another chuckle at your London Landscape.

24. I just printed out this pattern, cut it up and stuck it together… and I can’t for the life of me work out where the CF and CB seams are. Please could you help?