Sewlutions Blouse – Bingo!

ArcherButtonUp

I woke this morning to an email from Claire of Sew Incidentally. Had I seen the new button up shirt released by Grainline Studios? No, I hadn’t, but now I have. And can I just say, this is the perfect blouse for my Sewlution!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I don’t really ‘do’ classic blouses, so I was looking for something a little different, that would fit into my wardrobe whilst still giving me the technical challenges I’d craved.

I’d considered the Craftsy course on the Classic Tailored Shirt, but it felt like a bit of a cheat to have my hand held during a Sewlution. Now that Grainline’s blouse has entered my consciousness, I know exactly what I’ll be doing. Thank you!

Maybe I can shop for fabric (flannel? silk twill?) on the 20 April outing being organised by House of Pinheiro… Oh yes, all my cards are falling into place!

I have one other project to get out of the way first. I’m going to make a second Minoru for Spring. I am keeping the faith that one day the air will turn warmer, buds will burst, my lawn will stop looking like a mud pit and my thermals can be tucked away for the foreseeable.

Could it be so? Am I mad to dream?

I’m really glad to see two firm projects lined up in my sewing future. A friend recently asked what challenges I’d set myself in 2013. A coat? A vintage dress? No, nothing, I’d told her. But even as the words left my mouth, they felt dry and crumbly. Karen, without a challenge? That just ain’t right!

How are you getting on with your Sewlutions, guys?

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Sewlutions Blouse – Bingo!

1. Houseofpinheiro says:

I think this blouse will be perfect and would be very fun to see what fabrics you will find in our outing. I’m very excited. I got the craftsy class and if you get stuck just let me know…

2. Laura says:

Well enough, I’m almost at a stage where I can say tops will fit me. Hopefully by next week I will have a new block.

3. LinB says:

Finished the socks; have worn them twice; they’re now drying on the clothes horse in the basement.

4. Yay! So glad you’re gonna make this shirt – I just bought, downloaded and printed mine quick sharpish too 🙂

5. Andrea says:

This looks like a great pattern, doesn’t it? As soon as I saw it I bumped it to the top of my list of things to make. As for my sewlutions I’m not officially “in the jar” because I commented past the deadline, but I’m happy to report my first trousers muslin is complete… and now I’m terrified to move forward because I have no clue how. Challenging indeed!

6. I thought of you when I saw that pattern!

While I didn’t set myself any public goals, privately I’ve been hoping I can sew 2 things a month this year. So far I’m nearly 2 months in and have sewn 7. I was also hoping to give myself some kind of big project challenge, so I’m sewing my first ever jacket (eep). So far so good with my sewlutions!

7. EmSewCrazy says:

I’m trying to decide if my trousers can all be wide leg or if I need to figure out the boot cut. Can one have several pairs of pants made in the exact same style even if that style looks good on you?

8. Portia says:

Karen, this would look fab with a high/low shirt tail hem. ie longer at the back, shorter at the front and then curved at the side seams. Then it would work tucked in OR loose over jeans/skinnies.

You could totally put your drafting skills to good use here to really personalise it to you…just a thought!?

Love that pewter coloured silk in the image too! Chambray would look good also….

Px

9. Heather says:

I had to go back to your original post Karen to find out my sewlutions..ooops! So far I’ve bought the Minoru pattern but haven’t started sewing it yet. I also wanted to teach my daughters to crochet, and now I find one of them doesn’t want to learn…ooops again. I’m still hoping to teach my other daughter, and after that I really will have to come to terms with buttonholes.

10. Thea says:

Ooh, nice! There’s a few second-Minorus popping up on blogs now. I have cut out my first, and am slowly slowly making progress. Maybe by the time it gets warmer, I can wear it. That’s the only, only reason I’m hoping it won’t get too warm, too quickly.

11. Sam says:

I haven’t made a start on my Sewlutions trousers yet, although I have got a pattern and some fabric. I think I’m more scared of making trousers than I was of making a coat.

12. Sabs says:

I’m afraid you’re dreaming Karen, I heard today that March is expected to be really, really cold. Damn you British weather! Nevertheless, I’m sure your blouse will dazzle and your Minoru will rock!

I’m sticking to my sewlution of finishing every seam (in fact I think of you and the potential embarrassment of not sticking to it every single time I get my sewing machine out!) Also I’ve given myself two extra non-sewlution 2013 projects – a fully lined dress (Cambie) and sewing up a vintage 1950s pattern for later in the year. Bring it on!

13. Pauline says:

The pattern looks amazing. I am seeing this classic and masculine shirt in a silky fabric to bring it something a little more feminine and sexy. I am looking forward to see what you are going to do. Bye.

14. velosewer says:

I’ve just made my second minoru jacket in a showerproof fabric and making it a second time was a lot less stressful. I hope you enjoy your second minoru.

15. Shar says:

I’m so interested to see your progress on this. I’m sure it will look fantastic. I had a three part Sewlution – one wearable item for my husband and daughter and a Cordova jacket for me. I’m coming along pretty well. I made a Hollyburn skirt that my daughter has worn twice and I made up a muslin for my Cordova. I still have no idea what to make for my husband, poor guy.

16. Gjeometry says:

Lovely blouse pattern! I think what fabric you buy for it, would depend on what type of “look” you wanted to achieve. I hope you have a great time at your sewing blogger’s meetup! I just attended my first one on Saturday (havn’t blogged about it yet, will tomorrow). It was a blast, so nice to get to meet the folks you’ve been chatting with online, in real life.

17. Erika says:

The blouse looks very you, how great for your project!
    Er… My sewloution was to sew a menswear shirt, which I of course imeditatly thought of when you linked to the Craftsy class. Now, is it really cheating to take a class to learn how to make something? Regardless of whether I’m learning through pattern instructions, a book or a class, I still learn! Right? I’ve ordered “Shirtmaking”, but it’s basically sold out so it remains to be seen if Amazon can deliver, and if it doesn’t turn up I might consider that class instead ; )
    But that also says where I am right now: I’ve just got the metric pattern drafting book for menswear, so I’m on the way but there’s a lot left…

• It’s definitely not cheating! I almost edited my blog post to make it clear that that’s a silly stricture I’ve set for myself, but I certainly wouldn’t stop you from taking a Craftsy class. (How could I and how could I ever dare?!) You’re quite right – it’s all learning.

• Erika says:

Oh, please don’t take my words too harsh! I’m very sorry if my comment came out stronger than I meant it to! Sometimes it’s more evident than others that English is my second language… If I think the class will be very helpful or even needed, I will of course take it =) I’m just happy you linked to it! Craftsy seems like a great idea, but I’ve never taken a class from them, and therefore I tend to not keep track of what they offer, so I had no idea this class existed.
        Frankly, was the class for sewing a classic menswear shirt, and included fitting for men, I’d sign up today =) In it’s current form I’m sure it will be helpful, but can I get my hands on David Coffin’s “Shirtmaking” I’m sure that will be just as good. I love learning from books! =)

18. Karen… looks like Jen might do a sewalong for the shirt too 🙂 http://grainlinestudio.com/2013/02/27/archer-sew-along/

19. Lovely pattern. I’m kidding myself I’m making progress. You know, the fabric is out on my sewing table. But it’s gradually being swamped again.

20. Well, I’ve finally decided on a trouser pattern, which for me was half the battle! I’ll be starting them in the next few weeks. The Archer shirt is just lovely, very classy and very you, I’m sure you’ll enjoy making it. Andrea from Four Square Walls has just made a great version: http://foursquarewalls.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/archer-all-buttoned-up.html. x