Pockets, Please!

P1040151

Seriously. Is there anything in the whole world more delightful than turning three metres of fabric into cut out pattern pieces? Love, love, love.

Yet one day into my latest Minoru sewing project, and I’m already asking for help!

P1040153

Here’s the thing. I’d like to add in-seam pockets to my second Minoru jacket. But what to use as pocket lining? I don’t want to use the fashion fabric – I fear it will be too bulky. I don’t want to use my main lining fabric as it’s a screaming contrast colour and I want my pocket linings to verge on the invisible. I need something lightweight but strong enough to stand up to my fists being shoved into pockets. I know there’s a fabric out there – I just don’t know what it is!

Can you help, already? Give me your recommendations, and I will love you for ever.

STOP PRESS There are over 200 entries for the Mathilde blouse giveaway and the deadline is midnight tonight. Get your comment in quick!

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Pockets, Please!

1. Could you use the pocket lining but add a bit of a facing with the fashion fabric on the more visible side of the pocket? Does that make any sense?

2. Heather says:

How about some lightweight breathable fabric from http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/fabrics
    They have a range of fabrics and colours that might work.

3. yesilikethat says:

I HATE cutting out, it’s my least favourite part of sewing, will have to take some inspiration from you and find more joy in it (I think it’s because I have no large cutting table – it’s murder on the old knees to crawl around on the floor with the scissors for so long).

I would try and find a strong cotton in a similar shade to your fashion fabric to make the pockets as subtle as possible. Maybe a cotton twill or something similar.

• This is what I would do too (for the pockets I mean). Actually it is what I did when I made a coat in September last year. I wanted something not so bulky, but durable. I actually used cotton fabric from IKEA, the kind that cost about £2/m.

Good luck with your jacket! Iäll be looking forward to seeing it. BTW Lauren of Lladybird just made a Minoru jacket with pockets too, mayv´be she has a tip for yiu.

4. Kessem says:

I know that there’s such a fabric called pocket lining that’s supposed to be sturdy. What I do somethings, which probably won’t be approved by anyone who knows more about sewing than I do – I use the outer fabric for one layer of the pocket and lining for the other layer. The outer layer, the one that you may see peeking for the pocket will be the jacket fabric and the back of the pocket will be thinner so that it will reduce bulk. Does that make sense? I don’t know if I explained this well at all.

5. Rachel says:

I don’t have a good suggestion, but is this your entry to the Tessuti comp? That fabric looks very familiar!!

6. Anne W says:

You can get “proper” pocketing from tailoring suppliers, comes in black, cream or white and is a sturdy cotton. Try Bernstein & Banleys, Saville Row, or online at http://www.theliningcompany.co.uk/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=pocketing&osCsid=d910a8be60eb9bf18d021e62c864a6dc&x=0&y=0

7. Vicki Kate says:

Not as professional as the other suggested finishes but I used cotton flannel. Warm and soft to shove your hands in as well as strong!

8. Sonia says:

What about Ripstop? (the stuff they use for parachutes!) You can get some in lots of funky patterns, or plain and it’s very strong. It’s a bit slippery and I would probably recommend sewing the two sides together and then maybe reinforcing with some binding around the edge to re-inforce it (if that makes sense)……nothing worse than pockets with holes. Only an idea, it’s very thin so would be quite invisible I think 🙂 Hope that helps x

9. sewbusylizzy says:

I just got my Tessuti fabric sample in the mail! Great choice, it will make a fabulous Minoru!

10. grtescp says:

I used the contrasting lining material in my minoru pockets, but sewed them quite far in on the outside material, so there is a wide strip of outside material, and the inside material isn’t really visible – if that makes any sense?!
    Unfortunately that was the only part of my minoru that went well, and the coat is now sitting in a sad unfinished bundle in the corner of my bedroom 🙁

11. Dea-chan says:

One of the coats that I got from Goodwill had a soft flannel as the pockets. Soooo soft and it always feels warm to my hands, as opposed to normal lining fabric.

12. I just saw this in one of the books I’m reading to prep for my jacket project. For an inseam pocket, they cut the front/back out but with a little step of the fabric sticking out about 1″ the length of the fabric, which then got folded in as a little face for the first inch or so but without there being a seam. Then presumably the lining was sewn to that. Pretty neat!

13. LLADYBIRD says:

I had this dilemma when I was making my jacket (well, I thought I wouldn’t have enough lining to use for the pockets – and I BARELY did. I had to use some crazy cutting layouts, ha!). I was planning on using cotton broadcloth for the pockets – my fabric store has sooo many colors, and it’s a great fabric for pockets, facings, stuff like that 🙂

14. Karen Helm says:

A matching (or close to matching) Bemberg rayon lining would work beautifully.

15. Jen (NY) says:

I’m working very slowly on a kind of minoru-like jacket. By chance I found some breathable stretch ‘activewear’ pique in a similar color and I think it will make some nice side pockets — more so than water repellant fashion fabric and more breathable than a lining-type fabric. I used to have some shorts with stretchy breathable pockets and I really liked that, so I think I’m going to try it. I’m thinking that one side of the pockets may need to be stabilized a bit, though.

Another option (mentioned by others above) is using the fashion fabric on just the opening of the pocket. I have done that and it works well. The only thing I would caution is that the pocket fabric can still show — like when sitting down and the pockets can gape open. So, just make sure that your strip of fashion fabric is wide enough so that the pocket fabric doesn’t show too much (unless you want it to). Right now I’m making a corduroy skirt with a similar issue. I have to redye the corduroy (the shade is a little to easter-y for my taste) so I’m just going dye the (thinner) pocket fabric to match at the same time.

~Jen

16. Andrea says:

All these Minoru jackets are making me realize I NEED one!!

17. alibobs says:

When it got cold I got upset my Minoru was too lightweight, but now I’m glad that I’ll be able to wear it again soon 🙂

18. Velosewer says:

For both of my Minorus ( I adore them), I’ve used polyester chiffon for the lining and the pockets. I initially used chiffon because it was a remnant, but after wearing Minoru #1, it’s sturdy and moves nicely, gathers perfectly on the sleeve head and doesn’t add unnecessary bulk to the jacket.
    Both Minorus are casual jackets and they are constantly work and they move with me without any pulling.

19. me says:

My cycling jacket has mesh pockets. That might be to your liking.