Pocket Lining – So What Did I Do?

Cotton Silesia

Thank you all so much for your advice on my pocket lining! In the end, I chose to hotfoot it to MacCulloch & Wallis on a lunchtime to ask if they had any pocket lining fabric. Of course they did!

The above is Cotton Silesia, which is a dense polished cotton. It’s light, but tough! As you can see, it came in three colours and I went for black. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone for the cream. I just can’t decide. I still like the colour-absorbing qualities of black, for keeping things discreet. Let this be a lesson! Always carry a swatch of your fashion fabric in your handbag – you never know when you’re going to be doing some spontaneous additional shopping.

Beth of Sunny Gal Studios has a great blog post here about inserting pockets so that they’re hidden rather than flush with main seams. I’d already cut out my pieces, so couldn’t follow her direction quite as closely as I’d have liked, but her tips certainly helped avoid my pocket lining being right on the seam. You can see, they’re slightly tucked away from the edge:

P1040165

And when the pocket is lying flat, it’s all but invisible – just what I wanted.

Spot The Pocket

If I’d been clever I’d have thought around the print placement on my fashion fabric before cutting out these pieces for pocket insertion. But I’m not clever, I’m dumb. Fortunately, this print is so busy, that I don’t think my oversight is a deal breaker.

This makes me so happy! I don’t mind making minor mistakes because I’m learning, learning all the time. Next time, fingers crossed, I’ll remember and won’t make the same mistakes again. Famous last words. That is asking an awful lot of my addled brain…

This entry was posted in sewing, sewing and knitting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Pocket Lining – So What Did I Do?

1. Looks great! I LOVE the look of your fashion fabric. It’s really going to be awesome. I admit I’m not sure I 100% understand her instructions but I think that’s because I’m trying to pantomine that side seam addition and pocket in the air. Sadly my own jacket project is too short and I think pockets would be a little odd. But if they were so well hidden I wonder if it would still be worth it to stuff my gloves in. Hmmmm….

2. I’ve got to tell you that the pockets look amazing. I think the black was a great choice for the lining and I really wouldn’t worry about the pattern placement. This is looking lovely.

3. Maggie says:

Thanks for the link, this will definitely come in handy! The jacket is looking great so far!!

4. maddie says:

I had never heard of cotton silesia. You and I are learning every day.

5. Shar says:

Don’t knock yourself – you are certainly clever and your pockets look great! I’m so glad you’ve posted about the pockets since I would like to make a Minoru sometime and you’ve passed on some great tips – thanks!

6. Lyndle says:

These look great. I love your posts. Now, from an even dumber person, i have tried to work out what’s wrong with where the pocket is relative to the fashion fabric… And I can’t. Please, please can you enlighten me?

• Shar says:

Thank you for asking that question! I had no idea either but thought maybe everyone else knew.

• Okay, this is subtle and I am glad you missed it! Above the ‘Pocket here’ writing, there’s a horizontal seam where I cut the fabric in two. Can you see ovals in the design? If you follow them down the panel, you’ll see that they don’t all run true – they don’t line up above and beyond that horizontal seam. But it’s pretty small, I’m not going to sweat it!

• Lyndle says:

Wow, that is subtle! Thank you. If anyone stares that intently at the part of you where the pocket is located, i think you are within your rights to smack them.

7. CGCouture says:

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, I’ll be sure to keep that in mind should I decide to make another jacket/coat. If you hadn’t put the pink arrow I wouldn’t have been able to tell where the pocket was! BTW, I love the fabric you’re making it out of, so cool!! 🙂

8. suth2 says:

I am learning so much from your blog. My thanks to you.

9. Hester says:

I _love_ your fashion fabric, it’s gorgeous!

10. Adrienne says:

Wow! I bet your second Minoru is going to be just as fantastic as your first. The pocket is certainly looking awfully stylish. I’m super impressed!

11. Shivani says:

This is going to be fab! I love that fabric, and couldn’t really find the pocket even with the arrow’s help!

12. sewbusylizzy says:

Fabulous. I wasn’t making this jacket again until I found a nicer way to put in pockets. I like this way!!

13. Melizza says:

Pockets? What pockets? They look awesome. An I really can’t tell that the fabric placement is off. At all.

Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

14. velosewer says:

Your pockets are great and invisible to me. The print hides them.

15. Houseofpinheiro says:

Invisible pockets rules

16. Fabulous pockets. Here’s hoping it’s a award winning effort! I fondled this fabric in store today – that’s one of the benefits of living in Melbourne…

17. sallie says:

Oh it looks wonderful! I love that fabric! It’s going to make a gorgeous Minoru! And the print placement totally doesn’t bother me!

18. Katy says:

Wow, it’s already looking amazing! It’s going to be one funky jacket. I really want to try some pockets like this so thank you for posting, and you really can’t tell that it doesn’t line up perfectly. I agree with Lyndle, if someone looks that closely then they deserve a slap! I’ve just bought that fabric too! Are you entering the competition? I don’t think I’m going to as I am definitely not good enough yet, but I LOVE the fabric so thought I’d have a go and see if I make anything worthwhile, plus at half price it almost cancels the shipping fee!

19. Elizabeth says:

Oh it looks fabulous! I just adored that fabric when they pictured it for the contest. Good luck!

20. Michelle says:

Just such gorgeous fabric! I already have my eye on it to buy for the Tessuti Fabrics latest competition here in Oz.

21. yumyummoany says:

Dumb, how funny you are. If you were dumb you could not have made the skirt in the first place. Because you are bright and sassy you thought of the pockets, decided it was a good idea and did it. Kerching – as they say.