Mood Collage

Today I was trapped in my hotel room! UK readers, please note the viscous, slippery substance in the below photo also known as ‘rain’. Ha, ha – serves me right for being so delighted with the sunshine that greeted my arrival in New York.

P1040290

I didn’t mind the rain so much. I did have work to do. But by lunchtime I was getting cabin fever and a trip out was in order. Just a little stroll down the road. Just across Broadway. Just down the road that this shop lives on…

P1040294

It was a great day to visit. Most New Yorkers were at work, so the aisles were quiet and the assistants attentive. Even the legendary shop dog was in his element, distinctly ignoring me.

Mood Dog

I had a huge amount of fun, wandering the aisles, pondering purchases. But the myriad choice meant that indecision struck big time and I left with empty hands. I know! Can you believe it? I did spy a fabric that I fell in love with, but it ain’t cheap, it would be a nightmare to match checks and spots, and I’d need three metres…

P1040302

Decisions, decisions, indecision. It looks a bit tacky in this photo, but I loved the drape (it’s wool) and the fun of it. Plus, I know exactly what I’d make. My ma did give me some money to spend on fabric. Could I blow it all on a single purchase? If I don’t blow it all on a single purchase, will I live to rue the day? If I keep asking ultimately redundant questions, will my readers make my mind up for me?

As I wandered in a fabric-induced haze, there was only one thing left to do. Ask a total stranger to take my photo…

P1040303

64 Responses to In Which I Hand Over All Responsibility To People I’ve Never Met Who Read My Blog

1. Fwaire says:

That is lovely fabric, very unusual! I think i’d be the same and very undecided, not helped by my stingy nature.

I think if you love it and know what to make with it then you should buy it!…Although i’m saying that without knowing the price, if I did i might be saying the opposite and running away in fear! haha!

2. Elizabeth says:

Oh I so wish I could have shopped with you. πŸ™ I can’t believe I moved away from that city. What was I thinking???? I hope you had a good time and finally figured out what to buy. When will you be back in NYC next? Perhaps we could coordinate. I will be there 4/5-4/10. πŸ™‚

3. Funnygrrl says:

More regrets from things you don’t do, than things you do.
    At least in my experience. Perfect to remember you NY experience.
    Signed,
    The Enabler

4. gingermakes says:

Oh yay, I’m glad you got to go to Mood! But I wish I could’ve shuttled you around to the cheap fabric stores in the ‘hood!

• angela says:

Someday I will have to find out where all these fabric stores are. I just moved to Long Island last year and the only fabric store I have been to is Joanne’s.

5. Sewingjen says:

Wow fabric heaven- you know you will regret it when you get home of you don’t buy, how many times do you say I wish I had bought this or that and the moment is passed! Better to get one piece of beautiful fabric, more especially as you know what you would make with it. That’s usually my trouble I buy random fabrics with no plan what I am going to make, hence an attic full of fabrics.go for it!!

6. Jennie says:

The shop looks amazing! I can completely understand the feeling of indecision, I went to Britex fabrics and didn’t buy anything then went back a few days later once I had a clearer idea of what I wanted & spent far too much! However, I figured I wouldn’t be there for a long time again. Don’t know if that helps? Have fun!

7. Susan says:

Did you buy it ????? I have to know !

8. Nessa says:

At least you got a photo of your favourites! That is my preferred method of shopping – just take photos of the things you loved! Budget-conscious souvenirs.

9. Adrienne says:

Oh you’re adorable. But it’s so easy to get overwhelmed by this place, it’s true.

10. Jo says:

Haha, the fabric haze! I get that in far lesser shops than Mood – almost all fabric shops, in fact!

So, buy the three metres of lovely expensive fabric. You’ll regret it if you don’t, and you don’t need other, less inspiring fabric souvenirs sitting in your stash. What you want is to make something with that one and have fabulous New York memories while fabulously wearing it.

But I think you know this already πŸ™‚

11. suth2 says:

I agree completely with Jo.

12. Oh My Goodness……all that fabric!! No wonder you walked away empty handed. That wool is gorgeous though and, hey, you know what you want to make with it, you may never find it again, you have the money……..Go For It!

13. Lori says:

I pondered over a Swarovski Bumblebee necklace one time time I was in the states. That was three years ago and I didn’t buy it. I still think about that necklace now.

Buy the damn fabric!

You will love it just because you deliberated so much over it!

14. redsilvia says:

Don’t forget there are yarn stores in NYC too…If you need inspiration the Met Costume Institute and the FIT Museum are close enough to poke through. I hope you have a great time visiting and eating. Fingers crossed for sunshine.

15. JokeOnly says:

You’re funny as ever. You know what you’ll do with it plus your Mom gave you money? Definitely splurge! You’ll always remember these little details whenever you wear it much like the red wool from Paris!

16. Gaylene says:

Totally understand….got to Tessuti in Rome…..8 full rooms of fabric….wandered in a daze, then needed tp go to the loo, and left without anything……gah…….

17. CGCouture says:

I say wait until you’re ready to leave–if you haven’t found other stuff that you like better, go back in and get the three metres you need to make your project. πŸ™‚

18. grtescp says:

I splashed out on some crazy expensive wool from purl soho when i was in NYC. I felt bad at the time, but I still love the hat I made, and everyone compliments me on it… so I say, if you love it, go for it, it will make you smile every time you wear he finished item πŸ™‚

19. That is a lovely fabric, if you don’t think you will ever find it again and if you wake up tomorrow still thinking about it then you should def buy it. I make myself wait a week when buying patterns (my vice) and if I still want it after a week then I buy it, if I am not too worried about owning it or have gone off it then I save my money (for other patterns!)

20. Danielle says:

I’m the same way when I go in a fabric store…especially one I’ve never been in before. I can’t even imagine what I would do in Mood!

21. Dooo it! When are you going to be back there to be able to?

22. Marie says:

Do it Karen! Surely it’s better to spend your cash on one meaningful purchase than lots of insignificant ones? And no one likes regrets ;o)

23. Trisha says:

I felt the same way at Mood. I loved it, but was so overwhelmed that I left empty-handed. I regret not buying anything, but I don’t miss the specific fabric I was looking at. Do you have time to go back a second time with fresh eyes? Maybe you’ll find the perfect gem!

24. Elliott Berman and Paron’s (not to mention Spandex House) are nearby. Check them out and then you can go back to Mood.

25. Wah! I wish I could have met you! Are you still around? Have them page me (Meg) if you come back. At least you met Swatch!

26. sewinsteady says:

Hah! I was just at the LA Mood store last week while on vacation and was so completely paralyzed by ALL OF THE FABRIC! that I left my once-in-a-long-while opportunity to shop there totally empty-handed. Serves me right for not planning projects/fabric ahead of my trip. :-/

27. Mel says:

Buy the fabric!!!! I made the same mistake when I visited Mood (from Sydney, Australia) in NYC back in September – I still rue the fact that i didn’t get more of what I wanted – now I have to pay the shipping costs ( which makes it even more expensive)

28. Paola says:

I visited Mood Fabrics on a visit from Australia last year, and I was completely overcome. So much choice, so little time. But I did manage to buy something – a silk charmeuse which I am now too paranoid to cut. At least I can pat it and say “yeah, I’ve been to Mood”. It’s like a Catholic saying “Yeah, I’ve been to the Vatican”.

29. How on earth could you even begin to make a decision? So many wonderful fabrics, so many project possibilities. Like the Louvre, impossible to see it all in one day.

30. sewbusylizzy says:

Buy it. You will regret it if you don’t. It’s unique and it is more than fabric, it’s a souvenir and a memory – that is priceless.

31. Sam says:

I would say it’s better to bring back one piece of more expensive fabric you absolutely love and have a plan for, rather than a few cheaper pieces that don’t make you as excited. If you’re still thinking about it today, go back and get it! I know I’ve regretted not buying things I’ve fallen in love with on a trip.

32. I fully understand you… too many fabulous fabrics and great ideas…

33. Do it! You won’t regret it, but you may if you leave it behind. You’re actually saving money cos you don’t have to pay shipping, so it’s actually a bargain. (You can see why I have such a huge stash with that kind of logic.)

34. France Parijs (alias) says:

Great photo and great smile – NY is doing you good!

35. debs2748 says:

Life is to short to live with regret

36. Wait… black and white burberry checks with big round dots of glitter glued on? I think you should buy it purely because I am dying to see what you are going to make with a fabric that’s both checked and polka dotted. Do it!!!

37. I can see why you would be overwhelmed. I hope you have been ab;e to make a decision now. I tend to be with the crew who feel that you only regret what you didn’t do! Have fun in NY.

38. AnotherKaren says:

Don’t do it now, Karen! If you are like me, you will visit loads of places in your quest …..and come back to that fabric at the end of your stay, singing “Nothing Compares to You”.

39. Nellie says:

I think you should probably get a little something from Mood even if it’s a notion. I live in New York and have gone often so I know how overwhelming and pricey it can be but it’s definitely an experience! Continue to enjoy your trip! You look fabulous!

40. LinB says:

Ah, well, if you decide not to buy it, there’s more fabric in the world. I agree that giant shops full of fabric sound like a dream come true, but the limitless choices they hold can be overwhelming in real life — if you have any imagination at all! Those human beings who are blessed with the “decisive” gene find it far easier to shop than do the rest of us. There are similar, smaller stores up and down I-85, most of them for the furniture trade, that I haunt when I am in funds. Fewer choices than Mood; 800 more choices than chain stores.

41. sallie says:

I’m always a big fan of sleeping on decisions! If gorgeous frocks made up in checks and glittery polka dots keep dancing through your head – then do it! But I’d definitely wait – it’s most likely not going anywhere!

42. Karen says:

You should buy it because if you don’t, you’ll always be thinking about that gorgeous fabric and, when beautifully sewn, what an enchanting creature it will make you into (not that you aren’t enchanting already, but you know what I mean!).

43. Fiona says:

You have to buy it, because now we’re all dying to see what you make with it!

44. Helen says:

If you love it, then buy it. You’ll only regret it if you don’t. But sleep on it first! To make sure you really really do want it.

I have some cheek since I am the most indecisive person in the world, but just do it! And make your planned project as soon a you get home.

45. Alison says:

You had me at ‘drape’. I’ve spent many a pound at COS because I liked the way a fabric feels or lays. I say do it – and embrace the challenges it presents. That’ll just be more time for you to actively remember your trip to NYC. Not a bad thing!

46. megthegrand says:

I’m with all the Enablers here – I always wonder “When I get home, will I be sad that someone else got that fabric and is making a fabulous outfit with it?” If the answer is yes, I’m buying the fabric πŸ™‚ I hope you are enjoying your marvelous trip to NYC!

47. Tugba says:

Wow that place looks amazing. So much choice! No wonder you were feeling indecisive! Those sorts of places, amazing as they are, can be pretty overwhelming. I agree with Sally on the fabric purchasing front- if in doubt, sleep on it. I like to atleast shop around for a bit, if I’m feeling unsure and if I’m still thinking about the fabric a few hours on then I go for it!

48. Pingback: 5 days in NYC Garment District | Born on the Bias